Jumping Vids

[quote]fedorable wrote:
I wonder what I would look like on video now, I could get a little higher on the rim at 5’8" before I started lifting.[/quote]

Post one up! Just be careful not to get your armpit stuck on the rim. ahaah

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Kroll,

That sounds good, I’m just curious as I’m a fellow athlete in the quest for a higher vert as well. That is definitly an impressive back squat. I’m hoping I can get mine over 300 by the end of the school year. Of course, being a 6’4" lanky bastard doesn’t help in that regard either.

One question I have is, when you do the oly lifts, do you land in a full squat position? I ask this because it seems like you are a little weak in the power absorbtion facet. Ideally, the oly lifts should provide that. Just curious.[/quote]

Actually for quite some time, I haven’t gone near a max in any of the lifts. Doing quite a bit of power cleans and power snatches, hang power clean/snatch, generally riding down lighter weights to a full squat. So no, I haven’t actually had to catch much in the full squat. I will work back up to that again. My power clean is approaching what I used to full clean, so I know my second pull is improving.

Here are the complexes I have been doing lately. Soon enough, I will work back up to heavy singles.

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=16SS9BUHKFPLF2UMLN6IQZ9EK7

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0YRTWJY5J50VQ05Z0F27MX5HZ2

[quote]Ze wrote:
Thanks Jtrinsey, those clips showed what I was talking about. See how they stepped into their two foot jump rather than hop into it?[/quote]

Yeah, I see what you guys mean. I gotta practice that.

[quote]Ze wrote:
Thanks Jtrinsey, those clips showed what I was talking about. See how they stepped into their two foot jump rather than hop into it?[/quote]

It seems like doing that little hop I did absorbed some of the momentum by my heels hitting the floor too much.

Kroll,

My suggestion to you would be to do a 3 week block where you make power absorbtion a big focus in your training. Maybe something like this:

Monday/Friday
Warmup
After a light warmup, do about 20 low to moderate intensity jumps. Make sure your core temperature is rising but you are not out of breath. Good exercises here are submaximal box or broad jumps.

Altitude Landings Complex:
A1. Altitude Landings into full squat
A2. Altitude Landings into 1/ squat

Perform A1, then rest 10 seconds and perform A2, then rest 10 seconds. Repeat until you have done 5 of each, then rest 2 mins and repeat the complex, then rest 2 more times and repeat the complex a third time.

Then do whatever upper body stuff you want.

On Wednesday, do your oly lifts, it seems like you know what you’re doing there, just make sure you focus on absorbing the weight in a full front or overhead squat, even if the weight is light. Remember the focus is on power absorbtion.

Any thought/comments?

http://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=054WQSFEV7FJW3DFECT1MLIWZL
video of myself blocking some guy.
this may not be the greatest example, but it may help you to figure out the “1-2 step” approach Ze was talking about earlier. Keep up the good work.

LOL you mean video of you fouling someone?

play didn’t stop, no foul.

LOL I don’t care what the ref didn’t call. You gonna show us a block, at least show one where you’re picking it clean out of the air…somewhere BETWEEN the defender and the rim…not ON TOP of the defender :slight_smile: From one b-ball player (ex) to another :slight_smile: Where you from anyway and where do you play?

Well the intent of me posting was to show the 1-2 step approach, it just so happened I was in motion of blocking someone(not clean as you would say). In that moment of time, whether i had bodied him or got it clean didn’t matter it was 2 points they didn’t get. Sure, ball wise it’s not a thing of beauty but it’s one of very few things I have of the highschool bball days, so I take it for what it is. British Columbia, Canada. Vancouver to be specific.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Kroll,

My suggestion to you would be to do a 3 week block where you make power absorbtion a big focus in your training. Maybe something like this:

Monday/Friday
Warmup
After a light warmup, do about 20 low to moderate intensity jumps. Make sure your core temperature is rising but you are not out of breath. Good exercises here are submaximal box or broad jumps.

Altitude Landings Complex:
A1. Altitude Landings into full squat
A2. Altitude Landings into 1/ squat

Perform A1, then rest 10 seconds and perform A2, then rest 10 seconds. Repeat until you have done 5 of each, then rest 2 mins and repeat the complex, then rest 2 more times and repeat the complex a third time.

Then do whatever upper body stuff you want.

On Wednesday, do your oly lifts, it seems like you know what you’re doing there, just make sure you focus on absorbing the weight in a full front or overhead squat, even if the weight is light. Remember the focus is on power absorbtion.

Any thought/comments?[/quote]
At best I can devote one full workout to these and on another day after some OL (before squats though). What can you suggest for the workout after doing some type of OL? I’ll give it a try.

Kroll, did you check your Personal messages? It has the right way to do a 2 footed jump.

Here is the link for the rest of you guys

BTW olys only develop high load, low velocity force absorbtion and reaction

you need to do depth jumps and altitude type things for high velocity absorbtion and reaction

[quote]Ze wrote:
Kroll, did you check your Personal messages? It has the right way to do a 2 footed jump.

Here is the link for the rest of you guys

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/jumptraininglesson1.html[/quote]

Yeah thanks man. I’ll let you know how things are going.

[quote]enigma wrote:
http://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=054WQSFEV7FJW3DFECT1MLIWZL
video of myself blocking some guy.
this may not be the greatest example, but it may help you to figure out the “1-2 step” approach Ze was talking about earlier. Keep up the good work.[/quote]

What league is that? National Pygmy Association?

I do the same kind of jumpstop as well
old vid of me doing a running jump on an outdoor BBall court - pretty chunky back then as well :slight_smile:

right click on link and save first to avoid errors
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj2/Movies/CCJ_BBallJump_5May05.mpg

a friend told me that doing a 1-2 approach would make me jump higher - he gave me a clip of him doing that on 2 handed dunk. He does olylifting these days as well.

right click on link and save first to avoid errors
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj2/Movies/2handsbouncedunk.MPG

I’ve tried it and it does feel a lot smoother. Kinda like a 2 legged version of a running one leg jump, but I don’t really get any higher, but it does allow you to run faster into the jump without slowing down etc

No offense, but to what was said earlier your runnin vert is nowhere near 36". Keep on goin and you’ll be flushin in no time.

Didn’t mean to talk shit in the last post, but just to illustrate: I’m 5’10" in shoes, and I can dunk a ball from a standstill. My standing reach fully extended while still flat footed is 7’9" . I put up a legit 35" from a standstill. Off of 3 steps I got a 42" [2 footed]. The guy who tested me used to work for the Heat, and I was told that havin a true 40" vert is about as rare as a green eyed chinese girl.

He said the highest true vert he ever saw was 36 1/2" by a greek triple jumper, but there are a handful of players around the league that get 40" off the run.I’ve never done any jump training so I’m sorry I can’t post any constructive criticism or tips. Keep doin what you’re doin.

This 1 2 jump with practice will make you jump higher but it’s less stable. If you were playing basketball and were trying to dunk in traffic, you can go up much stronger by having both feet plant at the same time to jump. I switched to both feet planting at the same time because I was always sure to get fouled if I was in a position to dunk in a game.

White Flash,

Have you ever taken a look at the combine numbers for the NFL? Every year there are several players who test at 40" and above on the vertical leap. Just this past year 11 players recorded officially tested vertical leaps of 40"+, including Derek Wake of Penn State who posted an incredible 45" vertical.

Interestingly enough, the position with the highest average vertical leap is lineback, despite almost all of them being over 220 pounds and many in the 250# range. Probably because a standing vert is more towards the force end of the equation than a running vert, which is more speed dominant.