T Nation

Jumping Rope For Beginners

Started jumping rope couple weeks ago. Wow!!! what a workout!!! when I started I could barely get in 30 seconds. without a miss. now I can get to about 1.15mins without a miss. crap this realy gets the heart pounding!!!

how do you guys recommend jumping rope for beginers? I read a few articles. some said beginers should aim for 40-60 mins for endurance. 40-60 mins?? WTF??? Should I go 1 min on 1 min off? What kind of timed rest intervals do you recommend between sets???

Currently I’m doing 2 legged jumps. Would love to get to the point where I could do alternating legs. But not the coordinated…yet. PS: youtube Ross Training. This man is sick!!!

You need to get that electronic rope jumper witout the rope that they have infomercials on every time I try and watch the Fuel channel

hahaha. pass

wow I must be progressing. I can go about 8 mins at a constant pace and barely break a sweat. I can also alternate between legs pretty easily

This may seem obvious but I found that I get a much better workout if I slow down the rate and jump higher each time. 40-60 minutes sounds brutal

I got a an everlast boxing timer and I usually go 12 2-3 minute rounds w/ a minute rest interval. I start easy, then try to finish fast. If I miss, I just restart jumping. I usually go 50 double foot, 50 alternate on a 2 count, then back to double foot to finish. That takes me about 2 minutes.

I think 5 minutes straight is pretty decent, then you can work up to more. Crossfit journal had some old articles on Buddy Lee, some jump rope guy, and how he trained w/ some articles if you care to check it out.

I think you’ll get the skill to alternate legs pretty easily, just practice it. I find it less taxing endurance wise than regular.

Stretch your calves as mine were really tight when I started which led to some uncomfortable workouts.

Try finishing w/ double unders. Two rope rotations for 1 jump. It can get pretty frustrating, but its a pretty good workout.

I’m sure it’ll get easier. I remember when I started the speed bag. I was lucky to get 2 hit consecutively!!! Then I got to 5-10. When I got to 20 I almost shit my pants. Now I can easily go maybe 4-5 mins without a miss. And throw in variations of punches.

Jumping rope is awesome. I started doing it about 4 months ago just for some variety. I am addicted to it now. I jump 3 - 4x times per week for at least 10 minutes even if for nothing more than to work on my skills.

My agility still needs some work but I can go for a good 30 minutes at an intense pace with very few breaks in between rounds.

I think I might have shed a few pounds since I started.

Anyone dealing with shin splints? I think I might have re-awoken a sleeping beast.

Check this video out:

[quote]theuofh wrote:
I got a an everlast boxing timer and I usually go 12 2-3 minute rounds w/ a minute rest interval. I start easy, then try to finish fast. If I miss, I just restart jumping. I usually go 50 double foot, 50 alternate on a 2 count, then back to double foot to finish. That takes me about 2 minutes.

I think 5 minutes straight is pretty decent, then you can work up to more. Crossfit journal had some old articles on Buddy Lee, some jump rope guy, and how he trained w/ some articles if you care to check it out.

I think you’ll get the skill to alternate legs pretty easily, just practice it. I find it less taxing endurance wise than regular.

Stretch your calves as mine were really tight when I started which led to some uncomfortable workouts.

Try finishing w/ double unders. Two rope rotations for 1 jump. It can get pretty frustrating, but its a pretty good workout. [/quote]

Good thread, especially this, been meaning to get into jumping rope for GPP/endurance.

[quote]MNguns wrote:
how do you guys recommend jumping rope for beginers? I read a few articles. some said beginers should aim for 40-60 mins for endurance. 40-60 mins?? WTF??? Should I go 1 min on 1 min off? What kind of timed rest intervals do you recommend between sets???[/quote]

I think you can build your endurance slowly and you’ll be fine. Just progress a little longer every week.

But I think it is a more effective routine as a HIIT session. I do timed intervals of high and low intensity jumping. I just vary the interval every time I jump, slowly adding more time and shortening the low intensity phase. My eventual goal is to be able to go 5 x 5 minute rounds, as intense as possible, with only 1 min low intensity between rounds.

Been doing ~10 min sessions at least twice a week for a few years now and I still can’t go much higher than 120sec straight without a miss.

wow. 5 rounds of 5 mins. intense? I’m impressed. I can only imagine how much fat is being burned!!!

[quote]MNguns wrote:
wow. 5 rounds of 5 mins. intense? I’m impressed. I can only imagine how much fat is being burned!!![/quote]

Yeah, I am not anywhere near my goal yet. Even going two full minutes at a super intense pace leaves me extremely winded for a good minute afterwards. But I can do 10 of these 3 minutes rounds but am completely wiped out from it – plus, I still mess up alot if I try and get too technical or when I start to get worn out.

For high intensity I do high knees running in place and for low intensity I just do the regular double-foot hop or sometimes just single foot double hops. It gets harder to do the technical stuff as I get further on into the work out.

For those of you who can’t jump rope for too long without missing there’s always this as an option: http://jumpsnap.com/

Last time I tried doing them I started for too long and my calves were KILLING me for about 2-3 weeks.

Word of advice to new people to this; start short! lol

I’m gonna start w/ this again now that its nicer out. Maybe 3-5min TOTAL.

I quit calf training. simply cuz rope works your calfs so damn good!

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
For those of you who can’t jump rope for too long without missing there’s always this as an option: http://jumpsnap.com/[/quote]

why not just go old school and get the skip it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5eNcFRit8M&feature=PlayList&p=254FFF6B803030FB&index=0&playnext=1

but seriously, rope work is great cardio. stick with it and you’ll progress into more complex stuff. for alternating leg work, i try to do it boxer style and essentialy land with both feet but with your weight on one foot and the other does a light toe tap on the ground.

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
For those of you who can’t jump rope for too long without missing there’s always this as an option: http://jumpsnap.com/ [/quote]

Convincing people to exercise with Japanese sex toys is genius.

dude.

where the hell did you read that.

10min of jumping rope i would consider great.

Focus on getting the basic bounce(two foot) and alternating foot jumps correct without missing. Work on those two for awhile, then add in other tricks(crossovers, bell jumps, skier, and the murdering double under), but only perform them when your fresh otherwise your form will suffer.

This can be done everyday for practice, even a warmup. And you really need patience with double unders, learn to swing from the wrist and jump just a little higher than the basic bounce without kicking the feet back.

. I would say start with 30 seconds per round and you can work your way up to whatever time you feel is specific to your sport or fitness goals. Using multiple rounds of course will lead to better endurance, but use your head and start out slowly. Patience is a virtue when learning a new skill!!!