T Nation

Jumping Over a Hay Bale?

I was up at the farm for Mother’s Day, intermittently working and goofing off, and decided I want to jump over a hay bale. Would that be a pretty impressive feat, or is it unimpressive that I can’t do it already? (I’ve never measured my vertical, so I don’t know if I’m a good leaper or not). As it is now, I can jump and land on top of one, but I want to completely clear it and land on my feet (ideally) on the other side. I think lots of squats, cleans, sprints, and plain old jumping are in order.

For those unfamiliar, something like this:

I guessed it at maybe 5’ or so in diameter.

Sounds like some good jumping to me, From a standstill?

Come to think of it, the little rectangular hay bales would make for really inexpensive plyo boxes.

The hay bails on my mom’s farm are close to six feet tall and at least that long. If you can jump over one of those things you are probably a superhero.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
I was up at the farm for Mother’s Day, intermittently working and goofing off, and decided I want to jump over a hay bale. Would that be a pretty impressive feat, or is it unimpressive that I can’t do it already? (I’ve never measured my vertical, so I don’t know if I’m a good leaper or not). As it is now, I can jump and land on top of one, but I want to completely clear it and land on my feet (ideally) on the other side. I think lots of squats, cleans, sprints, and plain old jumping are in order.

I guessed it at maybe 5’ or so in diameter.[/quote]

I thought you were talking about little 90 pound square bales. The round bales would be a much more impressive leap.

if you can clear round bail please take video or somethin thats a gamn good feat. then do it with your buddies throwing squares at you just for the fun of it and entertainment for us :slight_smile:

I think that would look pretty awesome. 'Specially for a farm boy.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
I think that would look pretty awesome. 'Specially for a farm boy. [/quote]

Is that a PC way of saying “white boy”? haha

I took a couple steps to get some forward momentum, that’s what landed me on top. According to the baler, these should be right around 5’ tall. I’ve done 60" box jumps before, but clearing the hay bale is gonna take a pretty good arc. I think it’s going to be hard, but do-able, and I’ll definitely post a vid of me either making it or eating shit on the other side for you guys to enjoy.

if you do it in a hay field, you will actually be eating shit lol

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Melvin Smiley wrote:

I guessed it at maybe 5’ or so in diameter.

I thought you were talking about little 90 pound square bales. The round bales would be a much more impressive leap. [/quote]

LOL, you are from West Texas. I remember when I was a kid and we’d buy hay from out west and I alway knew when it was going to be a pain in the ass stacking it because it was tied with wire and weighed half again as much as our puny little squres.