Jumping & Dunking

Good deal man, keep it up- you’ll be throwing it down in no time!

I need to get some pics of myself dunking…

Good posts everyone, lots of good info.
Except we all know volleyball pictures are better so your welcome. lol

[quote]binford wrote:
binford wrote:
I agree with gags as i would do both types of squats. A westside template works great for increasing your vertical jump and the muscles that you need to jump. I might do something like this.

Day 1
1st exercise- ME squat(1-3RM)
Week 1- close stance low box squat
Week 2- medium stance good morning
Week 3- wide stance high box squat
Week 4- deadlift standing on 2-4" box

2nd exercise (4x5, working up)
Week 1- romanian deadlift-
Week 2- full squats
Week 3- rack pulls
Week 4- full squats

3rd exercise- 3-5x10
single leg movement(step ups, lunges, bulgarian lunges, reverse lunge, single leg squat)

4th exercise- 3-5x10
low/back hamstrings(45 hypers, reverse hypers, pull-throughs, glute ham raise)

5th exercise-3-5x10
abs

Day 2
speed box squat, with medium to wide stance- 50-60%, 8-10x2

2nd exercise (olympic movement)
-hang snatch- 5x3, working up
-power clean from floor- 8-12 singles
-snatch off boxes- 5x3
-power clean off boxes- 8-12 singles

3rd exercise
-dumbbell swings- 3x10
-dumbell snatch- 3x10
-med ball overhead toss- 4x5

4th exercise- 3x10
single leg movement

5th exercise- abs

You follow something similar to this, you strength and explosiveness should go through the roof and therefore you vertical jump will increase. I didnt add in any plyometrics because it sounds that you already jump alot, and if your doing alot of jumping already, you dont need the plyos.

[/quote]

i like this set up, looks pretty much like westside to me. andas far as the volume goes, it doesnt look that bad to me if you are out of season, if you are in season, i would either cut work i half or drop one of the days, something like that. anyway good luck

[quote]gags wrote:
binford wrote:
binford wrote:
I agree with gags as i would do both types of squats. A westside template works great for increasing your vertical jump and the muscles that you need to jump. I might do something like this.

Day 1

Week 2- full squats
Week 3- rack pulls
Week 4- full squats

3rd exercise- 3-5x10
single leg movement(step ups, lunges, bulgarian lunges, reverse lunge, single leg squat)

4th exercise- 3-5x10

5th exercise-3-5x10
abs

Day 2
speed box squat, with medium to wide stance- 50-60%, 8-10x2

-snatch off boxes- 5x3

3rd exercise
-dumbbell swings- 3x10
-dumbell snatch- 3x10

4th exercise- 3x10
single leg movement

5th exercise- abs

You follow something similar to this, you strength and explosiveness should go through the roof and therefore you vertical jump will increase. I didnt add in any plyometrics because it sounds that you already jump alot, and if your doing alot of jumping already, you dont need the plyos.

i like this set up, looks pretty much like westside to me. andas far as the volume goes, it doesnt look that bad to me if you are out of season, if you are in season, i would either cut work i half or drop one of the days, something like that. anyway good luck
[/quote]

Its not necissarily westside but its definately a conjugate template. I put a little more emphasis on the development of strength-speed and speed-strength because he needs the increase power to improve his jumping ability. And like i said before when i give a list of exercises, thats just a possible list you can do, you dont perform every exercise on the list. So you would at most be doing 5 exercises in a session. Which isn’t alot if you look at most bodybuilding workouts.

i have no idea where you guys measured your vertical but anyone claiming a true 30-32 inch vert is full of it…with that type of vert, youd be dunking no problem…32 inches is a freak of nature vert.

vert should be measured by a short dip in one place and touch to the higest marker you can hit on a the vert stand. then height and reach come into play. thats how it is measured, this running start stuff is nonsense.

i know of someone who has a 185 kilo clean (407lbs) and is very lean, who only measures 34 inches. this kid is an absolute genetic freak.

most 40 inch verticals you hear of, aren’t measured properly. i measure teen athletes often on this and most average 25-26, a few will actually hit 28-29 but those are exceptional athletes.

[quote]nbutka wrote:
i have no idea where you guys measured your vertical but anyone claiming a true 30-32 inch vert is full of it…with that type of vert, youd be dunking no problem…32 inches is a freak of nature vert.

vert should be measured by a short dip in one place and touch to the higest marker you can hit on a the vert stand. then height and reach come into play. thats how it is measured, this running start stuff is nonsense.

i know of someone who has a 185 kilo clean (407lbs) and is very lean, who only measures 34 inches. this kid is an absolute genetic freak.

most 40 inch verticals you hear of, aren’t measured properly. i measure teen athletes often on this and most average 25-26, a few will actually hit 28-29 but those are exceptional athletes. [/quote]

I had my vertical measured in exactly this way a few years ago and it was 32 inches. And i have dunked, and i definately get high enough to dunk, but i just have hands the size of a 8 year old girl, and i can’t quite jump high enough to dunk with 2 hands. But keep in mind, i’m only 5’8.

nbutka,

While I agree that 30-32" is a GOOD vertical, I wouldn’t call it world-class by any means. There are definitly some who are in the 40" range legitamately. I would say that 35" is an “Elite” level vertical leap. At my school, the vertical leap record is (I believe) 35", which I plan on breaking by the time I get back to school next fall! Right now my vertical is 33" and I can tell you it is definitly legit.

At 6’3" my standing reach is 8’.5" (96.5") and my vertical touch with just a countermovement is 10’9.5" (129.5"). I can dunk a basketball just standing with no steps. Most people measure their verts from an approach, which in that case I could claim I havea 40" vert because my touch from a 2-foot approach is about 11’4".

As to whether he has a 30" vert? I’d say it’s possible and maybe even likely. If he stands at 5’10", his standing touch is probably at about 7’6". If he can get 10’ from the stand that means his vert is very likely to be right around 30". That’s a damn good vert, but certainly not world-class- it wouldn’t even impress a d1 college volleyball coach.

[quote]nbutka wrote:

most 40 inch verticals you hear of, aren’t measured properly. i measure teen athletes often on this and most average 25-26, a few will actually hit 28-29 but those are exceptional athletes. [/quote]

I don’t know about that. I went to basketball camp when I was 14 and I had a 24" vert then, but I’ve always been pretty athletic. I defintely notice I can’t get as high on a basketball court, though.

As for excercise advice, I went big on plyometics and power cleans for a couple months and added a couple inches to my vert. Personally, plyometrics were really easy for me, so I did box jumps with extra weight. In retrospect, what I should have done and probably what you should do is just work on squatting heavy as a lot of people have mentioned. And I would definitely say work wide squats, or at least heavy squats to parallel to build more strength. That’s what I’m about to start doing, at least.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Springs,

Yeah I play volleyball for Stevens Tech, it’s a small school in north Jersey but our volleyball program is pretty strong- currently #6 in the country in d3 baby! Where do you play?

btw… CoolColJ, I’ve been enjoying reading your training log on the DB forum, keep up the good work![/quote]

I play semi-pro over here. I also play for my college but my team are much more important. Im a setter at 6’1" and 170lbs.

You got any stats? Where you play?
Block Jump: 328cm
Spike Jump: 331cm
Reach: 234cm

[quote]binford wrote:

Day 1

Week 2- full squats
Week 3- rack pulls
Week 4- full squats

3rd exercise- 3-5x10

4th exercise- 3-5x10

5th exercise-3-5x10
abs

Day 2
speed box squat- 50-60%, 8-10x2

-snatch off boxes- 5x3

3rd exercise
-dumbbell swings- 3x10
-dumbell snatch- 3x10

4th exercise- 3x10
single leg movement

5th exercise- abs

[/quote]

I’ll second this and say its a REALLY good workout, given that you are doing alot of jumping around already. The only thing I would say is make sure your doing some pullups. It will give him some good explosive upperbody strength, which is often overlooked but VITAL in explosive jumping.

[quote]Airness wrote:
Here’s a picture of me dunking a tennis ball (lol) on a 10’2" goal. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be dunking a real ball on this goal just by bringing it up off two feet. [/quote]

Nice hops! Weird question, though:
Why is that hoop 10’2" when regulation is 10 feet?

Some basketball shots even though im not a fan. Volleyball all the way!!!

Volleyball

[quote]nbutka wrote:

. [/quote]

Eh, I would slightly disagree with that statement. Yea, I think most people overexagerate their verticle jump, but Ive seen quite a few decent athletes, not freaks, with 30 inch verticals.

I stand at 5’7. I have no idea what my reach is, but Im guessing around 7 1/2 feet? (LOL thats something I should prolly get around to measuring) I can grab a 10 foot rim, but I cant dunk(not enough clearance, and I cant palm a b-ball) Given that, I would need at least a 30 inch vertical to touch rim.

And i can do that reasonably easily, with a warmup, and Im no superman. And I remember there was at least 4 guys in my graduating class of 100 guys all around my height that could do the same… Given this guy is 5’10, I would think he could have a 30 inch vertical no prob.

If that is all you can do you should Play basketball A LOT MORE if you care about it because thats not impressive. Pick a T-Nation workout and stick to it for at least a month because as a beginer you wont see results quickly but you will after your body adjusts which generally takes a month. If you do start training hard and smart you will probably get addicted when you start seeing the results.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Good deal man, keep it up- you’ll be throwing it down in no time!

I need to get some pics of myself dunking…[/quote]

Beat you to it. Your turn. lol

********While I agree that 30-32" is a GOOD vertical, I wouldn’t call it world-class by any means. There are definitly some who are in the 40" range legitamately. I would say that 35" is an “Elite” level vertical leap. At my school, the vertical leap record is (I believe) 35", which I plan on breaking by the time I get back to school next fall! Right now my vertical is 33" and I can tell you it is definitly legit.

At 6’3" my standing reach is 8’.5" (96.5") and my vertical touch with just a countermovement is 10’9.5" (129.5"). I can dunk a basketball just standing with no steps. Most people measure their verts from an approach, which in that case I could claim I havea 40" vert because my touch from a 2-foot approach is about 11’4". *********

if your using an approach to measure your vert, you should be shot. again i measure athletes alot in this so i know what type of vertical is not out there.

unless you had somebody measure you on a vertec, getting your proper reach measurements, then don’t attempt to guess your vert because your probably far off.

im not trying to attack anyone here, just saying most vertical measurements are wayyyyy off.

34-36inch verts are very very uncommon…

That’s pretty sick dude. I’m a 6’4" rightside hitter. I’m a freshman right now and starting on my team. We are a very small school but our program is starting to be able to compete with the bigger schools. We play a couple of Division 1 teams this year and I think they are winnable matches. I was recruited by a few Division 1 schools but chose the school I am at for its academics.

My vertical touch is 10’9.5" so that is about 329cm. My touch from a spike approach is 11’4" so that is about 345cm. I would say I’m a better play outdoors on the beach than indoors though. I’d like to be able to play semipro beach doubles here after I graduate.

I don’t have any pics of me dunking, maybe I’ll get a friend to take some.

I was just going to comment that I am about your size and when I was in high school I worked a lot on dunking too.

One thing you might work on is timing yourself to slap the top of the square. I realize you are a few inches away from this right now, but I felt once I was comfortable with doing this dunking came much easier.

As for my program I built my up mainly by doing a shoulder width stance squat and plyometrics. I felt box jumps and multiple length jumps helped a lot.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
My vertical touch is 10’9.5" so that is about 329cm. My touch from a spike approach is 11’4" so that is about 345cm.[/quote]

Oh shit dude!!! 345cm!! Thats insane. Really. Thats cuban national team standard.

See the way my block jump is the same as yours. You bastard hitters get to run and jump tho!! Hate that. Thats why my spike is only 331cm. They are practically the same. So you are an opposite hitter? Cool. 6’4"! I envy your height. I wont grow another 3 inches ever.

I’d love to come over and play in the states. Im on my national squad but trust me, in my country its nothing to be proud of. I want to play in Europe.

Volleyball players got the best jumps!!