T Nation

Jump Training Vid

[quote]eic wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:

A legit 38 inch vert is insanely high and would be enough for a 6’1 guy to throw down all sorts of crazy dunks on a full sized basketball ring.

A 38 inch vert measured using a 1 hand reach is still fairly impressive for a 265lb guy, but it’s nothing special.

edit - I meant to say 2 arm reach

I’m assuming it’s “legitimate.” When you say “measured using a 2arm reach,” what do you mean exactly? You mean measuring your reach with 2 arms overhead, then jumping and touching the vertec with one?

I have never seen it measured this way. I’ve only ever seen the athlete raise, say, his right arm overhead to establish his reach, then jump up using that same arm. The only problem here would be an athlete who might under-represent the reach by not going all out it. But what would that amount to? An inch at the most?

Again, I think a “legitimate” 38-inch VJ is insane on a dude that weighs 265 lbs. [/quote]

It can actually make a huge difference.

According to Joe Defranco, this is a 35 inch vert

I would be surprised if that is even a legit 30 inch jump.

I assume that Joe uses the same testing procedure as the NFL combine.

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:

[/quote]

You might be right, I can’t tell. Based on what you’re saying, it might be better to use a broad jump as the test.

[quote]eic wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:

You might be right, I can’t tell. Based on what you’re saying, it might be better to use a broad jump as the test. [/quote]

I think that both are useful tests as long as a consistent testing method is used.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be accurate, but it does need to be consistent.

Has anyone else used the training style in the video where he does weights before the jumping? I’ve seen jumps done before weights before but not the other way round.