T Nation

Jump Training Vid

The last set is especially good.

TNT

the stadium hops were especially sick. Big man…big jumps…just plain scary.

Very cool. What the hell is he training for?

he practically flew up those stadium stairs, i wonder what his max vertical is?

from an old database I have - not sure how accurate it is

Werner Gunthoer
6’6" 278lbs

35 inch vertical jump
518lb bench
761lb squat
452lb powerclean
11’2" standing long jump

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
from an old database I have - not sure how accurate it is

Werner Gunthoer
6’6" 278lbs

35 inch vertical jump
518lb bench
761lb squat
452lb powerclean
11’2" standing long jump[/quote]

A 452lb power clean is just ridiculous if true.

With a squat approaching triple bodyweight I would almost expect a higher vert. Maybe he actually measures his vert correctly though (ie in an NFL combine someone with a legit 35 inch vert would probably score around 40 inches).

I’ve seen another video somewhere of this guy doing what equates to a 10 Hop (10 consecutive long jumps in a row) and he looks to be getting bigger jumps every cycle. I would assume that would end up being over 110 feet of jumping! This guy was just freakish…

he’s a shot putter
74’7.5" is his best

highest vertical jumps of the shot putters I have on that database

Dave Wilson
6 feet 218lbs
64’7" shot put

39 inch vertical jump
506lb bench
755lb squat
401lb powerclean
10’10" standing long jump

Andy Bloom
6’1" 265lbs
69’3" shot put

38 inch vertical jump
350lb bench
740lb squat
405lb powerclean
11 feet standing long jump

Yeah IMO their vertical jumps aren’t very good for their strength/power to bodyweight ratios

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
he’s a shot putter
74’7.5" is his best

Dave Wilson
6 feet 218lbs
64’7" shot put

39 inch vertical jump
506lb bench
755lb squat
401lb powerclean

Andy Bloom
6’1" 265lbs
69’3" shot put

38 inch vertical jump
350lb bench
740lb squat
405lb powerclean

Yeah IMO their vertical jumps aren’t very good for their strength/power to bodyweight ratios[/quote]

You’re kidding, right? A guy who weighs 265 lbs. jumping almost 40"? That is MONSTER! For reference, Squat Dr. (AC) has a similar squat, weighs about 65 lbs. less and has about 7" more vertical. Their numbers are about right. (Andy’s bench seems to lag a little though.)

[quote]eic wrote:
CoolColJ wrote:
he’s a shot putter
74’7.5" is his best

Dave Wilson
6 feet 218lbs
64’7" shot put

39 inch vertical jump
506lb bench
755lb squat
401lb powerclean

Andy Bloom
6’1" 265lbs
69’3" shot put

38 inch vertical jump
350lb bench
740lb squat
405lb powerclean

Yeah IMO their vertical jumps aren’t very good for their strength/power to bodyweight ratios

You’re kidding, right? A guy who weighs 265 lbs. jumping almost 40"? That is MONSTER! For reference, Squat Dr. (AC) has a similar squat, weighs about 65 lbs. less and has about 7" more vertical. Their numbers are about right. (Andy’s bench seems to lag a little though.) [/quote]

It depends on how it was measured.

A legit 38 inch vert is insanely high and would be enough for a 6’1 guy to throw down all sorts of crazy dunks on a full sized basketball ring.

A 38 inch vert measured using a 1 hand reach is still fairly impressive for a 265lb guy, but it’s nothing special.

edit - I meant to say 2 arm reach

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
Maybe he actually measures his vert correctly though (ie in an NFL combine someone with a legit 35 inch vert would probably score around 40 inches).
[/quote]

you ever been to the NFL combine? The last few years they’ve been practically ripping people’s arms out of their socket to get an accurate reach for the VJ test. NFL combine numbers are legit.

38 is not 40. When you speak of vertical, even 2 inches is a lot. Especially on the higher end of 30-40
Some people train a whole year or more to just gain 2 inches :slight_smile:

Andy Bloom doesn’t really bench all that much more recently. He is just a fast guy from what I hear. He moves lighter bench loads at really fast speeds according to an older post on the Muscle Lab about him.

He is taller, and so leverage wise should be better off when producing power. Most good shotputters have good levers.
Squat Dr’s powerclean is not far off Bloom’s and he is much lighter and leaner.

2.8x squat and 1.5x powerclean should be a higher VJ IMO. Frontsquat would be well over 2xBW as well. He has enough strength to powersnatch well over his bodyweight with no dip to catch it. If you can do that your VJ should be over 40 inches.

[quote]duck_dodger23 wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
Maybe he actually measures his vert correctly though (ie in an NFL combine someone with a legit 35 inch vert would probably score around 40 inches).

you ever been to the NFL combine? The last few years they’ve been practically ripping people’s arms out of their socket to get an accurate reach for the VJ test. NFL combine numbers are legit.
[/quote]

No

I wasn’t aware of this.

I stand corrected.

only they measure the reach with 2 hands, and then jump and measure with one…which still inflates the VJ numbers.
3 inches for me, more so for the taller guys with wider shoulders.

Only accurate way to measure is using the head, or hip height.

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
38 is not 40. When you speak of vertical, even 2 inches is a lot. Especially on the higher end of 30-40

Andy Bloom doesn’t really bench all that much more recently. He is just a fast guy from what I hear. He moves lighter bench loads at really fast speeds according to an older post on the Muscle Lab about him.

He is taller, and so leverage wise should be better off when producing power. Most good shotputters have good levers.
Squat Dr’s powerclean is not far off Bloom’s and he is much lighter and leaner.

2.8x squat and 1.5x powerclean should be a higher VJ IMO. Frontsquat would be well over 2xBW as well. He has enough strength to powersnatch well over his bodyweight with no dip to catch it. If you can do that your VJ should be over 40 inches.[/quote]

i agree they are still impresive but not as high as you would think they should be for those numbers. still awsome though.

some benching, squatting and powercleaning in this video - towards the end from the man in question

squats are full depth off course :slight_smile:
Narrow stance, oly style

form on powercleans are better than most throwers I’ve seen do them as well…

behind the neck jerks, more oly variants and more jumping

more

the OP video is taken from this one

Cool movies CoolColJ , thank you

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:

[/quote]

That may be true, but it is sort of irrelevant to be honest. First, I think 265/38" probably puts him in the top few percent of athletes in the world in terms of explosiveness. There are few athletes in the world with that kind of VJ, period, let alone athletes that weigh that much.

Second, the fact that it might take someone a year just to add a couple inches does not change the fact that 38" is damn close to 40" in how impressive it is. It’s like saying that because it might take you a whole year to go from a 1,000 lb. squat to a 1,050 lb. squat then the 1,000 lb. squat is not super impressive. Fuck yeah it is!

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:

A legit 38 inch vert is insanely high and would be enough for a 6’1 guy to throw down all sorts of crazy dunks on a full sized basketball ring.

A 38 inch vert measured using a 1 hand reach is still fairly impressive for a 265lb guy, but it’s nothing special.

edit - I meant to say 2 arm reach
[/quote]

I’m assuming it’s “legitimate.” When you say “measured using a 2arm reach,” what do you mean exactly? You mean measuring your reach with 2 arms overhead, then jumping and touching the vertec with one?

I have never seen it measured this way. I’ve only ever seen the athlete raise, say, his right arm overhead to establish his reach, then jump up using that same arm. The only problem here would be an athlete who might under-represent the reach by not going all out it. But what would that amount to? An inch at the most?

Again, I think a “legitimate” 38-inch VJ is insane on a dude that weighs 265 lbs.