T Nation

Jump Shrugs

Has anyone here tried them? I woke up this morning with my lats hurting more than they ever have. The only thing I can relate this to is the jump shrugs. Didn't do alot of poundage... Definitely a new lift for my program. Try them out!!!

We do them all the time at our gym. FIrst we started out with db's but quickly changed to barbelll's. Usually do 3 or 4 sets of 6-10 after deadlifting. We change grips and strictness of movement as well. It definately puts size on the traps which is always awesome. I love the fact that it makes your entire upper back and neck sore.

They are one of my favorite exercises during the football season. I usually do them with straps and load the weight.

Someone explain the mechanics of this exercise please. I'd like to try em.

yes. please explain them. they sound like something i'd like to try.

Excuse my newbie-like question, but I take it you don't literally jump with the weight, but merely tip-toe while shrugging. It seems like actually jumping would seriously impact your spine and shoulder girdle.

exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/JumpShrug.html

Try to think of almost like high-pulls with olympic lifting.

Im with BIGRAGOO on this one, what the hell.

That looks like a serious injury waiting to happen lol. Practice makes perfect though heh.

Just like Mohagen said. Use straps and load the weight.The exercise is as follows:
* you should warm up your traps with conventional methods or deadlift before starting jump shrugs.*

Use a squat rack or power rack with safety bars with settings a little higher than knee level. Use a double overhand grip( with straps when heavy). Start the movement like a rackpull to get the bar off the rack. Bend the knees slightly and then explode upwards as fast as you can like you are going to jump-but a super shrug.Try to move your shoulders as high and close to your ears as possible.

You should be on your tip-toes when you shrug is at it's hightest.Try not to bend your elbows too much but they will bend when you get heavy.Try to control the weight on the way back down. you dont have to reset on the rack every rep. After the first rep treat it like a normal set.Hope this helps.

Ok, went there. It was as I thought.

Strange though. I see her feet actually come off the ground a tad bit. Not actually on tip toes. In ballet, en pointe is literally on tip toes and we're taught to be on 3/4 point. What she's doing seems very similar to how we're taught to do litte saute jumps where control and moving through all parts of the foot by using the bend of the knees and upper body to lessen the shock of the jump.

Now, how does it work the upper back and lat muscles? pondering.....

Bigpull's description is much more effective/safe than the abbreviated high-pull on exrx.net. It's like a rack pull with a shrug at the top - you don't have to control it on the way down if you have a good rack, just let it drop.

I've gotten to about 500 on these with no problems - as I understand it, the guys who aren't pussies like me can get upwards of 800-900 for a few.

-Dan

these are also called clean pulls. These pulls are ideal for developing power in the clean and snatch. Also, try doing these with a wide "snatch" grip, these are called snatch pulls. Your traps will hurt for a month!

I have seen these before and the same question comes to mind: What's the point of the jump?

The point of the jump is to be able to move heavier weight, it's not a strict movement. Try doing them... and when you cant move your upper back or neck for 3 days then you will see how effective the jumping portion is.

Nope - two different exercises.

Both are great and have their place, though.

-Dan

I did them before and don't like the jump part. Too much knee and back trauma. But I suppose if you are 20 years old they might be alright for the short term.

The great John Grimik used to do these and also something called "jumping squats." He attributed his hip replacement later in life to these type of exercises.