Jump Rope

The most important thing that I found when I started jumping ( I had done it as a conditioning thing, because I can’t run distances (bad foot pronation)) was that the most important thing was to keep your shoulders quiet and your HANDS DOWN.

Its a wrist movement more than anything else. Keep your elbows close to your sides, and use everything below there.

When you start to get good enough to the point that your arms and wrists get tired before your legs or cardiovascular system, thats when you start to do crosses.

To cross, the most important thing is that you want to cross with your hands close to your quads. When your arms get too far out in front of you, the rope splays out wayyy too far and really throws off the cadence and rhythm that you’ve built. Your pace doesn’t have to change when you cross.

In order to do double unders… you need to find a rhythm thats comfortable for you more than anything else. Doubles aren’t a sprint, there is still a rhythm to it.

Hope this helps.

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
Okay, here’s the deal. I’m a football player and suck at jump roping. I want to improve my footwork this offseason, but not being very nimble kinda puts a damper on it. Does anybody know how I could progress on jump rope so that about 6-8 months from now, I’m good at it?

I’m 5’7" and 185 lbs, if that helps at all.

CS[/quote]

Jump rope is awesome! I started adding it into my training about 3 years ago and it only took about a month of doing it 2 - 3 times per week to get good. Some suggestions:

1. listen to music to help you with jumping rhythm.

2. try to find a good surface to jump on like rubber matting or a wood floor.

3. don’t overdo it when beginning because I guarantee you, you will be sore.

4. Watch this guy:

I believe jumping rope is very important training tool for most athletes.It offers low intensity pliometric effect on the whole body and teaches you rhytm in moving and reactive timing.
Take your time to master this skill and you ll get rewarded by being able to move better and it also improves your conditioning.

Stay strong!