Jump Rope: Which Method is Harder?

I’m going to start implementing 20 minutes of jump rope in a day. This is to be done in one shot.
However i find that doing it two footed as opposed to one foot at a time is harder (left-right-left-right).
Does anyone know why?

If i do one footed i feel like i can keep going forever but two footed i can’t.
Does anyone know why? Which one do you think i should focus on?

Im pretty good at jump roping and I think its great that your picking it up.

I think that your main style of jumping should involve both feet. I either do this by bouncing with both feet together on the balls of the feet or by using a “heel-toe” kind of left-right pattern but you should be using both feet during each bounce.

The other technique you mentioned is great for cardio exercise too, but its not a practical way of jumping for a long time IMO.

Its really about finding whats comfortable for you. Consider which version you can do the fastest verses the longest. Things like that, practice slowing down and speeding up the rope.

Eventually you will learn tricks that require even more effort than regular jumping. Thats when things get really fun.

Check out my video for some ideas.

I really want to learn how to jump rope better. I suck at it and want to get better at it for the cardio value. maybe cause I do the tow footed method mentioned above.

Is there any videos or anything or anyway to learn to improve to jump rope? Or is it all just practice practice practice?

Only difference i feel is i can go a lot faster if i do doubles, but when you mentioned it i actually think the double feels harder here too.

[quote]elano wrote:

[/quote]

That was pretty sweet.

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:
I really want to learn how to jump rope better. I suck at it and want to get better at it for the cardio value. maybe cause I do the tow footed method mentioned above.

Is there any videos or anything or anyway to learn to improve to jump rope? Or is it all just practice practice practice?[/quote]

Practice.

I love jumping rope. I continually switch up 2 foot and alternating foot, sometimes I do high knees like I am running in place, sometimes the Ali shuffle. I have mastered crossovers but I still struggle with double unders. I use a leather rope, I am faster with a plastic but I havent found a 9.5’ one in a store yet and I don’t want to order one on-line. The shipping costs more than the rope.

Now I am psyched to jump rope!

[quote]elano wrote:

I think that your main style of jumping should involve both feet. I either do this by bouncing with both feet together on the balls of the feet or by using a “heel-toe” kind of left-right pattern but you should be using both feet during each bounce.

The other technique you mentioned is great for cardio exercise too, but its not a practical way of jumping for a long time IMO.

Its really about finding whats comfortable for you. Consider which version you can do the fastest verses the longest. Things like that, practice slowing down and speeding up the rope.

Eventually you will learn tricks that require even more effort than regular jumping. Thats when things get really fun.

I wish I could youtube at work.

Can you upload this here if it isn’t a pain in the ass for you?

[quote]elano wrote:

I am a very good jump roper. I know tricks and so forth. I’m just curious as to why two feet is harder than one.

[quote]spartanpower wrote:
elano wrote:

That was pretty sweet.[/quote]

Thanks. Its all just practice, practice, practice.

If you stop improving after a while, try developing a routine.

Double jumps are faster but they are taxing on the body because they require more power. It gets hard for me after about 30 or so double jumps in a row. That and matadors will get your heart rate up so high. Jumproping is fun. I need more practice myself though.

I have no idea why one style is easier for you than the other, im guessing it has to do with what your most confortable with.

Alright I uploaded it.

Why is this in combat sports?

Where else would i put it?
Jump rope is something that is mainly done by fighters.
It wouldnt fit in the strength forum. It wouldn’t work in t-cell. It’s not so much a beginner’s question…kinda.
I just figured it would fit here.

[quote]elano wrote:
Alright I uploaded it.[/quote]

You lost every single cool point that you never had. You subtracted from zero.

Fail!

Check out Ross Enamait’s articles on jump rope training.

He also has a few videos on the subject on the youtubes. I’m in the same boat OP, just trying to do some everyday for cardio/footwork reasons.

no offense mean’t to the dude that posted his video but you seem to be landing quite heavy all the time…i.e your footwork ain’t there. Also for those who don’t know this is especially a problem if your jumping rope on a non sprung or unmatted surface.

Ross Enamits stuff is excellent on this topic but reading won’t do anything for your rope skills…practice is the only way to go.when you get used to it you’ll fond yourself making up tricks withouh even realising it.

OMC

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I love jumping rope. I continually switch up 2 foot and alternating foot, sometimes I do high knees like I am running in place, sometimes the Ali shuffle. I have mastered crossovers but I still struggle with double unders. I use a leather rope, I am faster with a plastic but I havent found a 9.5’ one in a store yet and I don’t want to order one on-line. The shipping costs more than the rope.
[/quote]

I’m at about the same place.

Finally bought a quality plastic one with weighted handles… I love it.

[quote]elano wrote:
Alright I uploaded it.[/quote]

Thanks. You are pretty good and you were jumping in jeans!

Mayweather look out!

[quote]OMC wrote:

no offense mean’t to the dude that posted his video but you seem to be landing quite heavy all the time…i.e your footwork ain’t there. Also for those who don’t know this is especially a problem if your jumping rope on a non sprung or unmatted surface…[/quote]

I think his jumping in jeans on the pavement makes him seem a bit heavy on his feet. Good rope skills though. Better than mine.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
However i find that doing it two footed as opposed to one foot at a time is harder (left-right-left-right).
Does anyone know why?

[/quote]

you have more endurance with 1 foot because you are alternating. one is jumping, one is resting.