Jump Rope vs. Running

Have you looked at www.rossboxing.com?
Some great jump rope routines there, though they do also include plyometric movements.

[quote]CRisenhoover wrote:
Any thoughts on if I would get the same value from jumping rope as running for my energy system work?[/quote]

No one on here really seems to know what they are talking about. Several people on here are getting waaaayyyy to technical when all you’ve asked for is a direct question. Here is the FACT:

JUMPING ROPE BURNS 1,000 CALORIES AN HOUR!!! You can’t burn that running or jogging 3miles. I don’t care how fast your running, or what your Beats Per Minute Are.

YOU CAN’T JUMP ROPE FOR AN HOUR? OK Just do the math: 30 Minutes of Jumping Rope will burn 500 calories.

CAN’T JUMP ROPE FOR 30 MINUTES??? 15 minutes will burn 250 Calories

CAN’T JUMP ROPE FOR 15 MINUTES?? 7.5 minutes will burn 125 Calories…

AT THE VERY LEAST, YOU CAN BURN 55 CALORIES JUMPING ROPE 3.75 MINUTES.

NO!! YOU CAN’T JUMP ROPE LIKE U DID IN PRESCHOOL AND EXPECT TO BURN THIS MANY CALORIES. BUT AT A RATHER FAST STEADY PACE, U WILL. IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO JUMP ROPE CONSISTANTLY WITHOUT STOPPING TO OPTIMIZE CALORIES BURNED. BUT THE ABOVE FIGURES I HAVE GIVEN YOU ARE A DARN RATHER ACCURATE BLUE PRINT. BUT EVEN STILL, YOU ARE OPTIMIZING THE AMTS OF CALORIES YOU ARE BURNING AS OPPOSED TO JOGGING ANY DAY.
HAPPY JUMPING! =)

Try parkour.

which is better for stamina? jump rope or running?

Jump rope by far. More taxing on the body physically. I would still do some sort of running(sprints) to stay balanced, but use the jump rope for agility and a form of power training. Some people seem to forget the jump rope is a plyometic movement.

Try lifting weights. Its pretty good for building strength, muscle, AND energy system work.

I absolutely hate jump roping and running. I see no real reason to do either one of them unless you are going to be a runner, or a professionlal jump roper. As for which one is harder. Jump roping is by far harder for me. My shoulders end up bruning like crazy.

[quote]wants2BNshape wrote:
CRisenhoover wrote:
Any thoughts on if I would get the same value from jumping rope as running for my energy system work?

No one on here really seems to know what they are talking about. Several people on here are getting waaaayyyy to technical when all you’ve asked for is a direct question. Here is the FACT:

JUMPING ROPE BURNS 1,000 CALORIES AN HOUR!!! You can’t burn that running or jogging 3miles. I don’t care how fast your running, or what your Beats Per Minute Are.

YOU CAN’T JUMP ROPE FOR AN HOUR? OK Just do the math: 30 Minutes of Jumping Rope will burn 500 calories.

CAN’T JUMP ROPE FOR 30 MINUTES??? 15 minutes will burn 250 Calories

CAN’T JUMP ROPE FOR 15 MINUTES?? 7.5 minutes will burn 125 Calories…

AT THE VERY LEAST, YOU CAN BURN 55 CALORIES JUMPING ROPE 3.75 MINUTES.

NO!! YOU CAN’T JUMP ROPE LIKE U DID IN PRESCHOOL AND EXPECT TO BURN THIS MANY CALORIES. BUT AT A RATHER FAST STEADY PACE, U WILL. IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO JUMP ROPE CONSISTANTLY WITHOUT STOPPING TO OPTIMIZE CALORIES BURNED. BUT THE ABOVE FIGURES I HAVE GIVEN YOU ARE A DARN RATHER ACCURATE BLUE PRINT. BUT EVEN STILL, YOU ARE OPTIMIZING THE AMTS OF CALORIES YOU ARE BURNING AS OPPOSED TO JOGGING ANY DAY.
HAPPY JUMPING! =)[/quote]

I dont know if this was serious or a joke?

[quote]dankid wrote:
Try lifting weights. Its pretty good for building strength, muscle, AND energy system work.

I absolutely hate jump roping and running. I see no real reason to do either one of them unless you are going to be a runner, or a professionlal jump roper. As for which one is harder. Jump roping is by far harder for me. My shoulders end up bruning like crazy.[/quote]

It’s great that you don’t find any need for cardio, but your advice is useless for OP. If you like to play sports for more than 30 minutes without huffing and puffing or just want to improve your health, it’s generally a good idea to incorporate some kind of cardio.

To op, jump roping is great for conditioning, agility, and coordination. It also doesn’t kill your shins like running, and you can do it without leaving your house. I prefer jumping rope but the two are not mutually exclusive.

I suck at jumpming rope. When I was jogging to get lean, I got down to a 5 minute mile - up and down hills and over different surfaces. I got back, wiped some sweat off, and felt fine.

I then tried to jump rope for 10 minutes at an easy pace. I was at the same point I was at the end of my run after 2 minutes of jumping rope.

What did this mean to me?

I jumped rope and stopped running cause I felt it was harder for me.

No doubt if I spent the previous months jumping rope, doing that run in the alloted time would have been impossible and I could have jumped rope easily for 10 minutes.

I started jumping rope cause it was a nice change, it kicked my ass, and it made me feel useless. So I wanted to get better. When you have a goal, you’re happier putting the work in.

Just do whatever kicks your ass hardest and screw the details.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:

It’s great that you don’t find any need for cardio, but your advice is useless for OP. If you like to play sports for more than 30 minutes without huffing and puffing or just want to improve your health, it’s generally a good idea to incorporate some kind of cardio.

[/quote]

Thats a bunch of crap. If you are going to do cardio to be in shape for a sport, then do cardio that is specific to that sport. Seriously, we are past the days where a basketball player’s conditioning invovles running 5 miles. (Or at least we should be). The only use for running the way most people are talking about it, is if you are a runner. And jump roping is good for jumpping rope and maybe boxing. But that is arguable.

Unless you really like doing either of these activities, there are many better ways to get in shape.

[quote]dankid wrote:
The only use for running the way most people are talking about it, is if you are a runner. And jump roping is good for jumpping rope and maybe boxing. But that is arguable.

Unless you really like doing either of these activities, there are many better ways to get in shape.[/quote]

Better handspeed, footspeed, agility and awareness? Yeah that’s totally useless for most sports.

[quote]dankid wrote:
chitown34 wrote:

Thats a bunch of crap. If you are going to do cardio to be in shape for a sport, then do cardio that is specific to that sport. Seriously, we are past the days where a basketball player’s conditioning invovles running 5 miles. (Or at least we should be). The only use for running the way most people are talking about it, is if you are a runner. And jump roping is good for jumpping rope and maybe boxing. But that is arguable.

Unless you really like doing either of these activities, there are many better ways to get in shape.[/quote]

No one said anything about running 5 miles. However, if you want to talk about basketball, you better believe that the best-conditioned teams do plenty of running on top of their suicides. Boxers are among the best conditioned athletes in the world, and the jump rope and roadwork is a big component of their training. And before you say that, “well boxers have to perform for 12 rounds. I have no need for that kind of endurance”, athletes in short, explosive matches such as wrestlers run/jump rope on top of their regular training to help them stay fresh for less than 10 minutes. You aren’t going to waste away if you run a mile 2-3 days a week or jump rope regularly so long as you are eating enough. It will improve your heart health, your overall work capacity, and go a long way in preventing disease. blah blah u get the point

Hmm, what happened here?
Jump roping in Bodybuilding section.
Interesting!

If you think jump roping is easy, you’re doing it wrong. Pussies need to start doing double jumps. Hit 30 of those in a row and tell me running is harder. Jump rope definitely takes more skill and practice though.

You cannot compare running with jumping rope exercises because they are different.

Where they might have some similarities is in the type of energy systems they tax.

As someone already pointed out jump rope is a plyometric exercise whereas running is not. Jumping rope will give you more power in your legs, the ability to move quickly and explosively, shoulder and forearm endurance, and will increase body awareness. Jumping rope can either be an anaerobic or aerobic workout depending on intensity and duration of sessions – and let us not forget all the cool tricks that can be incorporated into a jump rope session. Anyone who thinks jump rope is easy never attempted multiple doubleunders for time.

Bring back a thread from 2006: Check
Fill it with fail: Check

Awesome…

I’m so confused.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
You cannot compare running with jumping rope exercises because they are different.

Where they might have some similarities is in the type of energy systems they tax.

As someone already pointed out jump rope is a plyometric exercise whereas running is not. Jumping rope will give you more power in your legs, the ability to move quickly and explosively, shoulder and forearm endurance, and will increase body awareness.

Jumping rope can either be an anaerobic or aerobic workout depending on intensity and duration of sessions – and let us not forget all the cool tricks that can be incorporated into a jump rope session. Anyone who thinks jump rope is easy never attempted multiple doubleunders for time.[/quote]

Jump Roping is not a plyometric exercise. It can be used for plyometrics some how i am sure, but it is most commonly used as a tool for conditioning, foot speed, and so on.

Not to say it won’t improve your jump.

But good post, jump roping is a powerful tool. I use it all the time and it works great for conditioning.

Jump rope IS plyometric. So is running, and sprinting, and any type of jump, leap, bound. It all goes under either low, med, or high intensity. The jump rope will improve people’s vertical (maybe) because they get co-ordination of the feet. And they strengthen their plantar flexors, which also contributes to jumping high. Pretty much your movement gets better, I think there are better ways to get movement effiency other than jump rope.

I JUST started running again for boxing, definaetly whooped me…looking forward to it. I do enough bouncing around with vert stuff to jump rope.