Julius Maddox - Bench Press World Record Attempt

I think a lot of the spotting issues come from what you were saying earlier about them not being able to grind either. Most people probably expect a grind before they grab for the bar, but he just straight dropped it. Also, they probably don’t want any kind of issues regarding the WR which is why they all stepped back so far.

As far as Bryant goes, he’s gotta be top 3-5 coaches out there right now. I think he was mentored by Hatfield as well, but I could be wrong. Either way, he was/is a badass lifter with an amazing pedigree and quite a few cringe but entertaining anecdotes about how big pecs will get you out of a side road diner/bar fight with 3 mongoose and an 8 foot pro boxing trucker at 3 am in New Mexico.

2 Likes

This makes me wonder, who are the other top PL coaches at the moment? Sheiko for sure, Louie is up there although he doesn’t really deal with raw lifters. Who else? Mike Tuchscherer kind of fell off the map, he still coaches a few IPF lifters but I don’t hear anything from him. Then there is a guy named Trevor Jaffe who coaches a whole bunch of elite lifters. Who am I missing?

Coaches don’t make as much of a name for themselves as the lifters.

Joey Franzo coaches a lot of IPF/USAPL lifters

Current (maybe past) - Russel Orhii, Sean Noriega, Amanda Lawrence and more

1 Like

What about outside the IPF though? Most of powerlifting these days is non-IPF.

1 Like

Can’t think of too many

Maybe sheer volume of lifters isn’t too good an indicator. Going by quality of lifter not that I know that many coaches I think Mariana Gaspyran butchered that lol and CC Holocomb share the same coach. Two of the best female raw w the pharmaceutical kitchen sink lifters

Chad Wesley Smith (can’t believe I forgot him)

Chad Wesley smith coaches Andy Huang, Brandon Allen, Steve Gentili, and a few others who are slipping my mind. As an athlete himself, he was in the top 10 highest raw totals of all time

2 Likes

Lol beat u to it

1 Like

We must be catching Alzheimers.

Phase potentiation - after the meet: clitoral hypertrophy phase

1 Like