Julio Franco's Breakfast

I thought this was a pretty cool article

Good Read…thanks

especially these …

"A few minutes before 7 a.m. Tuesday, Julio Franco greeted a visitor to his apartment with the news that he had eaten 14 egg whites for breakfast.

But he was still hungry. A plate loaded with oatmeal awaited him, as did a banana and a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, and still Franco wanted more egg whites. Franco’s wife, Rosa, normally cooks him breakfast, but she wasn’t there; so, in Spanish, he asked a friend to cook him six egg whites.

“It’s O.K., six more’s not going to hurt,” Franco said. “It’s good protein.”"

"Part Methuselah, part Incredible Hulk, Franco is, by 4 years 2 months 26 days, the oldest player in the major leagues. But he has the sculpted muscle definition and trim waist of an athlete half his age. "

“There are no magic pills,” Franco said.

Franco is a walking anachronism and he knows it. He belongs in another era, when fast food, soda, preservatives and additives did not exist. Why else, he said, would he drink a liquid concoction made from beets, cauliflower, celery, broccoli, garlic, onions and an apple (to mask the unsavory tang)?

“It tastes nasty, but it’s so good for you and 100 percent natural,” Franco said. “That’s all that I care about.”

“On his easygoing nature: “If it’s hot outside, great. If it’s cold, great. If it rains or it’s windy, I don’t care. They’re out of my control. The things in my life that I can control ? my diet, baseball, my interaction with friends, family, teammates ? that’s what I can control, and that’s what enriches my life.””

Dunno who he is but he eats well.

A year or two ago, there was a special on TV here in Atlanta about his offseason training and nutrition. His work ethic and dedication is unbelievable. It’s going to be painful to see him in a Mets uniform this year, he belongs on the Braves.

[quote]UNCheelsfan07 wrote:
A year or two ago, there was a special on TV here in Atlanta about his offseason training and nutrition. His work ethic and dedication is unbelievable. It’s going to be painful to see him in a Mets uniform this year, he belongs on the Braves.[/quote]

Hey,
I’m still mad he’s not a Ranger. They let him go for that wortless POS Conseco and paid him 3 times more. To be a Ranger fan is to be frustrated. He was and still is my favorite player. In interviews he always came across as a humble, pleasant gentleman. I couldn’t be happier to see him succeed.

He left the Indians when I was about 3. He is about twice as big now as he was then.

Bear

As a Met fan,I’m glad we have him to give Delgado a day off and DH in interleauge games.
I read somewhere where he started eating right and stopped drinking around the age of 30,17 years ago.Looks like its paying off and he plans to play into his fifties.

[quote]Spike9726 wrote:

Hey,
I’m still mad he’s not a Ranger. They let him go for that wortless POS Conseco and paid him 3 times more. To be a Ranger fan is to be frustrated. He was and still is my favorite player. In interviews he always came across as a humble, pleasant gentleman. I couldn’t be happier to see him succeed.[/quote]

Canseco truly is a POS. If he had the work ethic of Julio Franco he’d be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

What got me is that with all the roids he took (and still takes) that Canseco would be a lot bigger - did any of you guys watch him in the “Surreal Life”?

He just seems like a lazy putz who took some roids instead of really busting his ass in the gym. His size could have been achieved naturally and then some.

I remember him when he played for the Tribe too. He had some issues back then, but the fact that he is still in the league is flat out amazing and a testament to his desire and work ethic.

What really amazes me is the tone of the article…the fact that eating to support a healthy, muscular body (i.e. eating correctly) is such a damned foreign concept to the average person…5 or 6 meals per day…OH MY GOD!!! Franco is almost painted as a creature from another planet.