T Nation

Juicers

I am interested in buying a juicer. Anbody have suggestions as to a good one
that is not astronomically expensive?

What do you consider astromically expensive? I’m using an ACME Supreme juicer I bought back in 1994 for $150. It works just as well today as the day I bought it. Amazon sells one for $179 now. How many inferior juicers would I have burned through in 13 years?

http://www.amazon.com/Acme-White-Supreme-Juicerator-Extractor/dp/B0000DDVUO

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I am interested in buying a juicer. Anbody have suggestions as to a good one
that is not astronomically expensive?[/quote]

Haha, when I saw this thread title I thought you were calling out a whole section of guys here.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I am interested in buying a juicer. Anbody have suggestions as to a good one
that is not astronomically expensive?[/quote]

There are a couple of ones in my gym that would probably let you rent them for the night.

[quote]lizard king wrote:
entheogens wrote:
I am interested in buying a juicer. Anbody have suggestions as to a good one
that is not astronomically expensive?

There are a couple of ones in my gym that would probably let you rent them for the night.[/quote]

Are you people retarded? Why can’t anyone here read? He said he wants to BUY one. ugh

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I am interested in buying a juicer. Anbody have suggestions as to a good one
that is not astronomically expensive?[/quote]

I’ve been using the juiceman juicer of mine for about nine years now and it has never broke on me once. I think it’s a good buy.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
What do you consider astromically expensive? I’m using an ACME Supreme juicer I bought back in 1994 for $150. It works just as well today as the day I bought it. Amazon sells one for $179 now. How many inferior juicers would I have burned through in 13 years?

http://www.amazon.com/Acme-White-Supreme-Juicerator-Extractor/dp/B0000DDVUO [/quote]

Thanks. No, $179 isnt extremely expensive and I see from other reviews of that product that it’s quite durable (as you mentioned). By expensive, I meant in the 300 dollar range.

what kind of juices do you guys make ?

i like the idea of juicing but my only experience is stuff i’ve bought @ a juice bar and never had anything i thought i’d want to have again. can you make good juices from vegetables ?

I just got a jack lalanne power juicer today.

They dropped the price from like 2 - 300 to 100.

supposed to be good, have yet to try it out. gonna juice broccoli tomorrow. will tell you how it is.

I got mine at target

[quote]swivel wrote:
what kind of juices do you guys make ?

i like the idea of juicing but my only experience is stuff i’ve bought @ a juice bar and never had anything i thought i’d want to have again. can you make good juices from vegetables ? [/quote]

Do a search for “juice recipes” and you’ll find some great ones. I usually juice:

Grass/Wheat grass

Apples

Spinach leaves

Red cabbage

Celery

Tomatoes

Carrots

Cucumber

Zucchini

Other leaves

Mustard greens

do you use the grass from your yard? not bermuda or any weird grass, but the kind that looks like wheat when it gets too long? Non treated, of course.

that would be awesome.

[quote]swivel wrote:
what kind of juices do you guys make ?

i like the idea of juicing but my only experience is stuff i’ve bought @ a juice bar and never had anything i thought i’d want to have again. can you make good juices from vegetables ? [/quote]

A quick, easy, tasty, juice is 4-6 carrots, a granny smith apple and a piece of ginger the size of the end of your thumb.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I am interested in buying a juicer. Anbody have suggestions as to a good one
that is not astronomically expensive?[/quote]

Ronnie coleman. You might have to wait a few years till the price goes down though

What makes a juicer better than a blender?

I imagine that a fruit/veggie juice would be sweeter and smoother than the same concotion thrown in the blender.

It just seems like you throw out most of the fiber.

If you just drink raw vegetable juice and eat lean meats(no grains, legumes or dairy) will you get enough fiber?

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
swivel wrote:
what kind of juices do you guys make ?

i like the idea of juicing but my only experience is stuff i’ve bought @ a juice bar and never had anything i thought i’d want to have again. can you make good juices from vegetables ?

A quick, easy, tasty, juice is 4-6 carrots, a granny smith apple and a piece of ginger the size of the end of your thumb.

[/quote]

nice ! my mom would add chix stock/cream and turn that into soup! i’m getting some ideas…

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
It just seems like you throw out most of the fiber.

If you just drink raw vegetable juice and eat lean meats(no grains, legumes or dairy) will you get enough fiber?[/quote]

I think in the better quality ones, a lot of the fiber remains (correct me if I am wrong).

I dont think that would give you enough fiber (just drinking the juices). I dont intend for such juices to replace regular vegetable consumpiton. I want one so that I can have a pre-workout drink, with lots of anti-oxidants and in which I can throw in some maca (which tastes like ass) and
thereby disguise the taste.

Oh, are the juicers mentioned capable of juicing wheatgrass?

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
What makes a juicer better than a blender?

I imagine that a fruit/veggie juice would be sweeter and smoother than the same concotion thrown in the blender.

It just seems like you throw out most of the fiber.

If you just drink raw vegetable juice and eat lean meats(no grains, legumes or dairy) will you get enough fiber?[/quote]

Juice is much easier and faster for the body to digest and goes straight into your blood stream to do it’s job. Thats why a lot of people who are sick and juice often use a juicer and not a blender. I drink smoothies too, but I also make juice with my juicer. There is something about juicing that makes you feel really good mentally and physically.

[quote]Master Ninja wrote:
do you use the grass from your yard? not bermuda or any weird grass, but the kind that looks like wheat when it gets too long? Non treated, of course.

that would be awesome.[/quote]

Yes. I even juice the normal grass in my back yard. Wheat grass, Barely grass, hudson blue grass, etc. Thats where all the real green nutrition is. I often mix it with zucchini, cucumber, and sometimes red cabbage leaves or a piece of fruit to add taste.

However, they are VERY strong. Try starting with a shot glass and moving your way up if you’re thinking about doing it.

[quote]swivel wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
swivel wrote:
what kind of juices do you guys make ?

i like the idea of juicing but my only experience is stuff i’ve bought @ a juice bar and never had anything i thought i’d want to have again. can you make good juices from vegetables ?

A quick, easy, tasty, juice is 4-6 carrots, a granny smith apple and a piece of ginger the size of the end of your thumb.

nice ! my mom would add chix stock/cream and turn that into soup! i’m getting some ideas…[/quote]

You can also make your own V8 juice.
Put in 2 carrots, 1 tomato, 2 celery, half a cup of spring water, and a little bit of ginger(optional).
You can also use cucumber.