T Nation

Juice Stop Smoothies?

ANyone try the juices at Juice Stop- You can get a protein/creatine smoothie made from real juices with no added sugar. tried one today and it was great.

“No added sugar”. How misleading! I’m gonna’ to go out on a limb here and say that the natural fruit juice used for these smoothies is already loaded with sugar. Just a guess.

“No added sugar” means no added sugar. It’s not fair to count naturally occurring sugars in the fruits/juices they use. That should be assumed. That’s not misleading at all. Of course we’re assuming they are using 100% juice, which they would be stupid not to use if they are claiming it.

Either way- is this a chain place or just something local? I’ve never heard of it.

You don’t think “No Sugar Added” is misleading to the general uninformed public? I think it’s just as bad as Cinnamon Toast Crunch being labeled “Whole Grain” or Gummy Worms being “Fat Free”.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
You don’t think “No Sugar Added” is misleading to the general uninformed public? I think it’s just as bad as Cinnamon Toast Crunch being labeled “Whole Grain” or Gummy Worms being “Fat Free”.

[/quote]

If they don’t actually add sugar to it- how is that misleading? “Fat Free” isn’t misleading either as long as it’s actually fat free. It doesn’t necessarily mean it is good for you- but it isn’t misleading. And 100% fruit juice with no sugar added is healthy. It’s basically the same as eating fruit. How would that damage the general uninformed public?

You can go on calorie counter or any related site and find the amount of sugar or calories in those “smoothies.” You will be shocked. When I first started training I sabotaged my progress with that crap thinking it was “healthy.”

At one of the major smoothie chains (dont want to name the co) the healthiest smoothie has 40 grams of SUGAR for a 16 oz (thats the smallest size). Now, we’re Americans…Americans dont EVER get the smallest size. 32 oz is our “small” so you’re talking about 80 grams of sugar…and all those calories…all liquid.

Those smoothie places sell nothing more than liquid candy bars. And the protein they use is soy and they put a bullshit amount.

Waste of money, time, and your health.

*But damn…they do taste pretty damn good.