T Nation

Juggling Goals

I want to be big, strong and muscular. I can and do train hard. I lift heavy and I do the right kinds of exercises. I lift 4-5 times a week and usually 3 or 4 of those times, my CNS weeps due to the intensity. I “run” 3-4 times a week, which consists of 3 miles in as fast as possible (usually 20 minutes or under), or sprint workouts.

I used to be very fat. I weighed 220 lbs.

I now weigh 170 and while I look okay, I’m not as muscular as I would like. I don’t quite have the skinny-fat look, but I’m leaning more towards that than the jacked look.

That bothers me.

So you say, “eat more, run less, sleep!” and I say “I can’t.”

Why?

I’m juggling personal goals/desires with an occupation’s needs. If I am to become a Marine, I can’t really exceed my current weight with any extra fat. In short, my gains would have to be almost all muscle.

I am thus, unable to do a “bulking phase.”

I don’t really know what else to do besides continuing to lift heavy, eat a solid diet, and hope to just “harden/densify” myself and improve my body fat percentage and body composition.

I also take HOT-ROX Extreme to help keep me lean but to add the advantage of Carbolin-19 for muscle retention.

Here’s an example of what I’ve eaten today:

8:30 - Xyience breakfast bar (HOT-ROX E, Propecia, Rez-V, Multi, and Greens supplement)

10:30 - Oatmeal, Metabolic Drive shake, Grapefruit (2 flameouts)

12:30 - Can of tuna, spinach, half cup of cottage cheese, small grilled chicken breast (1 Flameout)

3:15 - “Mancakes” personal recipe: Half cup of cottage cheese, half scoop of vanilla Metabolic Drive, half cup of oatmeal, tablespoon of peanut butter, 2 tablespoons of ground flax-meal, 2 eggs
(second serving of HOT-ROX Exteme)

What kind of stuff should I be doing if my goals are to drop fat or at least maintain my body fat as it currently is, and gain muscle mass?

You might want to take a look at the Berardi “Don’t Diet” plan. He seems to favor slower approaches that you evaluate every couple of weeks or so, rather than going on a “bulking cycle” for four months and realizing one day that you’re fat.