Been doing 5/3/1 for about 18 months now. Overall the best gains have been on DL and Overhead press, slow on the press but that's the nature of the lift. Bench only worked for a short time so I have been trying out new stuff with that, kind of liking the floor press as a main lift now but may switch back to regular or close grip in the near future. I mainly wanted to start the Juggernaut method (will call it TJM from now on) on Squats but needed to reset max on overhead press again so decided to give it a try there also. Recently also started alternating DL and Squat weeks so I run those for 6 weeks total do complete one 3 week cycle.
5/3/1: Bench and DL
TJM: Squat and OHP
- Week 1-3 Floor press 5/3/1 as main lift + assistance
- Week 1-3 TJM Overhead press
- Week 4-6 Pin Press 5/3/1 as main lift + assistance, may change main lift soon
- Week 4-6 TJM Overhead press
- Deload 7th week
- So 2 back to back cycles, seems to work okay without deload in-between, If it became a problem I think I could modify stuff to make it work.
- Week 1: TJM Squat + DL variation as assistance
- Week 2: 5/3/1 DL + Squat variation as assistance
- Repeat for weeks 3-6
- Deload 7th
- Dynamic day each week with Speed DL or box jump + misc assistance lifts. If I needed more recovery this could turn into just a Speed + GPP type day.
- Try to dedicate 1 day a week for this, sick last month and traveled so missed quite a few recently. Better during summer.
Short Term Goals:
- DL 495 and 405x10
- OHP Any positive gains are fine after completing TJM, as long as it doesn't go down.
- Floor Press 315
- Squat 365 or 315 for some reps.
EDIT: 4/21/11 Not doing the above split, main lifts still continuing and assistance was going to change anyway
New plan, Basic Push/Legs/Pull split.
Push: Bench or OHP + tricep/shoulder/chest assistance
Legs: Squat or DL + Legs/lower back/Abs
Pull: Pullup or BB Row + related assistance and even some curls
For each day I will alternate the main lift I start out with, so Bench first then 5-6 days later OHP first, assistance will be about the same. Doing each workout 6 times before a deload, so each main lift will get hit 3 times allowing me to follow the juggernaut method for some of them.