T Nation

Judoka - Primary Lifts?

Hey guys, just updating parts of my routine.

Hoping to get some input as to what are the better lifts to use for Judo? I’ve included lifts from blocks, such as high pulls, snatches and cleans which i believe is the best height for the power.

Any particular variations of the big lifts i should be using also? The variations i’m using at the moment are the Front Squat, Snatch Grip Dead and Bench Press from Pins.

Cheers people

I know that judokas like to do bodyweight dips in pyramids for strength endurance (you can pair those with pull ups if you like; I also reckon deadlifts and olympic lifts would be helpful. And (!) grip training. Keep in mind, however, that many judo trainers include some form of strength conditioning in their classes, so your needs would depends on the gaps these leave.

Also…

i trained in judo for two years, then quit because of switching interests. i’ve been lifting for like 9 months now and ever since getting stronger, i have been itching to get back on the mat. i was always the lightest in the men’s team (-60kg weight class) so i trained with mostly (much) heavier guys and i always had trouble getting out of low hip and shoulder throws like the seoi nage because of weakness (in legs).

sorry for the anecdote, here’s my ideas:

order of lifts in terms of importance/carryover to judo

1. squat(wide stance low-bar) see louie simmons (“wide builds narrow, though not vice versa”)
  2. powerclean (snatch is a lot more technical but if you can do those, do them!)
  3. deadlift (also: holding last rep for grip, heavy rack pulls for grip)
  4. standing press/bench press

if you have the equipment, i would try heavy farmers walks (fat grips maybe?) for overall conditioning and forearm strength.

hope i could give you some ideas

OP,

If you search for judo and wrestling you should find some relevant threads.

We have some accomplished judoka on the board and I think they have posted advice several times.

Going from memory a lot of posterior chain, back work, and “core” was stressed, but that could be as simple as power cleans, pull ups, and “ab” work or as complicated as a modified westside template. Grip work is a big deal for any kind of grappling with clothing on, and you can’t really be “too strong” in the grip.

Generally pressing gets downgraded in importance vs. say a football or throwing template. Although all the judoka and wrestlers I have known still do a crazy volume of push ups.

I would take any posts by kmcnyc or jellyroll as being somewhere between valued advice, and gospel.

Regards,

Robert A

Thank you robert a

Ill drop a nugget or two.
Id say the front squat and snatch grip dead are a decent start

I cant really knock the bench as a great upper body lift- but personally
push ups and banged up shoulders kind of took care of that for me

hmm.

things you need
rotational strength
grip
P chain
power
balance

here is how you get there with nary a kettle bell battling rope or snorkel in site

some shit might sound dumb till you really think about it nothing too trendy here either

the surprise stuff

OH squat
suit case carry , suit case dead , trap bar or farmers style carries
power snatch if you can
reverse lunges
air humps with a barbel aka glute or hip thrust

the standard shit
cleans cleans cleans
any kind you like off blocks - with straps for reps from the hang or in big triples doubles and singles
Front squats
RDL
BB row Pendlay style
DB floor press
I guess Behind neck pushpress if you need to something heavy upper body wise

grip and P-chain blow out
continuous snatch width RDL or dimel dead
pullups while crushing tennis balls
deadlifts for time 10 minutes of 5 reps of x

accesory work
HLR feet to bar
back raise
BB rollout
DB rows
DB snatches if you like
all the bw and loaded dip pullup pushup you can do

spend 2x of this time on mobility , band work, PVC and lx ball

have fun

EXPLOSIVNESS.

Everything you do just make it explosive. If you are competing and you are strong but slow it’s a disadvantage everyone have time to react. It’s good to do deepsquats, too.

For example, you can do drop down ippon seonage’s etc. (where you go to a deep squatting position and explode up while doing ippon seonage)
You can do deeper uroi nage’s etc

Look into getting some fat gripz extreme, also kroc rows should be helpful

Split snatches really helped me. Not really an easy movement to learn though.

Sprinting up stairs, then bear crawl back down - probably the best off-the-mat training I’ve done for Judo (or any other grappling sport/MA). No fun whatsoever, and possibly some kind of torture.

Pull-ups, Foreign Legion style - 10x before every meal (so 30 a day times 7 days is 210 a week).

Get a big tire and flip it for an hour. Great strength and conditioning workout all-in-one. Your grip will be way more sore than your back or legs.

Buy a neck harness.

1 Like

Bear crawling down stairs sound incredibly dangerous =(

The amount of strength you’d need to pull that off successfully/the strength you build as a result of it must be immense though.

[quote]Jelly Roll wrote:
Split snatches really helped me. Not really an easy movement to learn though.

Sprinting up stairs, then bear crawl back down - probably the best off-the-mat training I’ve done for Judo (or any other grappling sport/MA). No fun whatsoever, and possibly some kind of torture.

Pull-ups, Foreign Legion style - 10x before every meal (so 30 a day times 7 days is 210 a week).

Get a big tire and flip it for an hour. Great strength and conditioning workout all-in-one. Your grip will be way more sore than your back or legs.

Buy a neck harness.

[/quote]

Gimme your training plan.

[quote]magick wrote:
Bear crawling down stairs sound incredibly dangerous =(

The amount of strength you’d need to pull that off successfully/the strength you build as a result of it must be immense though.[/quote]

I’ve seen ten-year olds do that next to me in parkour circuit training sessions. It’s mainly about core strength and coordination/athleticism.

Heavy Fingerrolls for Grip Strength. If you are interested in finger strength you could give Finger and Thumbpushups a try. This will toughen you up and make your hands more prone to injuries.
I can imagine that you will have to do some work in a deep parallel stance, it’s criticall for a good Ganseki Nage and many other throws.

Farmer’s Walks, Band Bear Crawls and Get Ups on your GPP days are critical for better grappling performance, else I recommend the “classic” martial arts exercises:
Kettlebell Snatches & Swings or a deadlift variation combined with some kind of Overhead Press.
Overhand Grip Pullups and Horizontal Rows are a great addition to your program.

For a good performance on the ground you need lots and lots of core strength, as I said-heavy Get Ups are your best bet. Turtle flips done with a partner after your casual Taihenjutsu warmup are cool for transition training and will make you a lot faster. One exercise a coach used on us was just lying down on a mat and doing hundreds of half backward rolls. You got 1 roll on each arm-thats 1 rep, got 199 left so enjoy the pain…

Push and pull on trees and jab your fingers into the dirt ground 1000 times a day, each hand.

Youll be dominating like Kimura in no time.

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
Gimme your training plan.[/quote]

I’m doing the WSB3 twice a week. So one week it’s ME-Lower and RE-Upper, then the next week it’s DE-Lower and ME-Upper.

In between those days I do something more “caveman-ish” twice a week - like the sprint/bear crawl thing, or tire-flipping thing, stuff like that. Some days it’s kettlebell and sandbag circuits - swings, windmills, turkish get-ups, etc. Other days it’s circuits with the prowler, sled-dragging, sledgehammer, battle-ropes, skipping rope…

And I’ll alternate between a 3-4k run or swim once a week.

Basically it’s something different five or six days a week. Each week is always new so it’s not repetitive, and I’m getting in lots variety of movement. I don’t go at it really hard, more how I’m feeling that day. My body is an arthritic collection of Judo trauma so I’m just trying to improve my mobility and keep my joints/muscles/heart relatively healthy.

No-gi in the evening two-three times a week (I coach submission wrestling), and Judo just one night.

Neck harness every day, one or two sets of front, back, and sides.

TONS of foam-rolling, lacrosse ball, and stretching. Yoga too. Sometimes I skip workouts just to foam-roll and and do yoga for an hour or two.

That’s about it.

1 Like

k thx.

edit: Coming to Fredericton, New Brunswick, any time soon so I can try to kick your ass? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
k thx.

edit: Coming to Fredericton, New Brunswick, any time soon so I can try to kick your ass? :P[/quote]

I dont think I’ll be out that way anytime soon. Last time I was in the Maritimes I was 19, visiting family and generally getting into too much shenanigans to think about training. Never know, maybe I’ll take all the kids for a trip back someday. In the meantime if you’re ever in Vancouver just message me if you want to drop in at our club.

Roger that.