Judo Conditioning Question

I would caution you to ease into any workout involving sprints if you have not running in awhile. But, sprints are my favorite way (other than rolling) to improve my conditioning. Right now I’m doing this a couple times a week:

Sprint a hundred
Jog a hundred
Sprint a 200
Jog a 200
Sprint (well, run kinda fast) a 400
Jog a 400
Sprint a 400
Jog a 400
Sprint a 200
Jog a 200
Sprint a 100
Jog a 100

In addition, I also do two other days consisting of twenty 50m sprints (sprint a 50, walk back to the start and sprint again)

If I’m feeling worn down from class/running/life I’ll just jog a mile to get the blood flowing and stretch.

[quote]haney1 wrote:
yeah the randori thing is what killed me my first class. there is one hill by my house, but no place for chinups. so this might not be an easy option for me.

With all the suggestion I have got so far I really could do a different workout every day… [/quote]

Just substitute pushups for chinups, until you can rig something up for chinups. I just use a thick fishing rope that I toss over a tree branch.

JR

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
haney1 wrote:
I just started taking Judo and man I didn’t realize how bad my cardio was until I started rolling around yesterday. I knew It wasn’t great, but I didn’t think it was that bad either. Anyone have any tips to increase my work capacity?

(Outside of HIIT running which I started just a few weeks ago)

There’s a lot you can do for conditioning, but the best thing is to just keep going to class. The more classes you go to, the better your wind will be.

That being said, here’s some ideas of what to do outside of class:

Barbell complexes
Circuit training
Bodyweight circuit
MB circuit
Rope skipping
Sprints
Strongman medley (if you have the equipment)[/quote]That pretty much sums it up.

Let me just echo jelly roll… sprints plus anything is hard as fuck.

Sprints… burpees

or

sprints… pushups

hell

sprints… kbell snatches

whatever you choose its fucking brutal you will be STARVED for oxygen. Be sure to get some aminos and carbs after that kinda workout

10 push-ups
10 pulldowns
10 dumbell snatches
10 dumbell bearhug squats

as fast as possible and repeat with no rest for as long as possible. My home routine.

Or just burpees

I started with Xens first workout which I really liked. I noticed though I had the strange minor pain in my left inner thigh muscle Nothing major though. So I have been doing some light stretching. It has not effected my judo class much, but certain things bother it. Then I went and played softball yesterday. The running killed my groin muscle. That is when I relized I had a minor pull, that might have just turned into a more serious pull. I will see how it goes over the next couple of days.