T Nation

Judah-Cotto

I know the boxing fanbase on this site is pretty pathetic but I was just curious if anyone else dished out the 44 bucks to see the judah fight tonight. I was a little wary, to say the least, to throw away that kind of money on another pay-per-view fight right after the mayweather fight which wasn’t that great of a fight. After watching the undercard and the main event I have to say I’m glad I did now.

The first fight of the night was an embarrasement to the sport, enough said.

The second fight between bobby and sota? was excellent. Both were in there to injure the other guy and it ended it a predictable knockout.

The third fight didn’t have that big of names but it was an exciting fight that also ended in a knockout.

The main fight was well worth the money though. It was a bloodfest to say the least. Two accidental lowblows in the beginning, some headbutting led to open cuts, and a nasty gash on cottos lower lip created problems for both fighters. Cotto was aggressive as hell though and although Zab didn’t throw to aggressively like usual he looked to have greatly improved from his previous fights.

He showed tremendous heart in the later rounds and got up from a couple of knockdowns before the ref stepped in for the TKO.

Ignoring the first fight, the event turned out to be an exciting one. Lots of knockouts, blood, big punches, small punches, and great heart shown. Well worth the 44 dollars and a big step up from the mayweather-de la hoya card.

Any thoughts?

I’ll watch it Mon nite, if it impresses me I’ll let you know.

[quote]yanksta wrote:
I know the boxing fanbase on this site is pretty pathetic but I was just curious if anyone else dished out the 44 bucks to see the judah fight tonight. I was a little wary, to say the least, to throw away that kind of money on another pay-per-view fight right after the mayweather fight which wasn’t that great of a fight. After watching the undercard and the main event I have to say I’m glad I did now.

The second fight between bobby and sota? was excellent. Both were in there to injure the other guy and it ended it a predictable knockout.

The third fight didn’t have that big of names but it was an exciting fight that also ended in a knockout.

The main fight was well worth the money though. It was a bloodfest to say the least. Two accidental lowblows in the beginning, some headbutting led to open cuts, and a nasty gash on cottos lower lip created problems for both fighters. Cotto was aggressive as hell though and although Zab didn’t throw to aggressively like usual he looked to have greatly improved from his previous fights.

He showed tremendous heart in the later rounds and got up from a couple of knockdowns before the ref stepped in for the TKO.

Ignoring the first fight, the event turned out to be an exciting one. Lots of knockouts, blood, big punches, small punches, and great heart shown. Well worth the 44 dollars and a big step up from the mayweather-de la hoya card.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

[quote]yanksta wrote:

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Cotto-Judah was a very exciting match, and I was very impressed by Cotto’s relentlessness. I hope this sets him up for much bigger fights.

One thing I have to wonder though is where Zab goes from here. He’s lost all but one of the biggest fights of his career, but despite that, put up an exciting fight against Cotto. He’s still marketable, and I think a rematch would do well. I wouldn’t expect a different result, but I would definitely pay another $45 for it.

Chavez Jr. is a very interesting fighter, and now, they’re talking about a possible showdown with Gatti in the fall. I think that Chavez definitely has what it takes to beat Gatti, and then fight the big fights, although you have to question whether only at the age of 22, and without a significant amateur background, he’s being brought up too quickly.

Humberto Soto against Bobby Pacquiao was another interesting match. I liked Soto’s style very much, and would enjoy watching him in a match against Manny Pacquiao. Bobby gave Soto some trouble, and he doesn’t even have Manny’s power or speed. I see Manny winning this one, but still giving Soto a hell of a shot (given the right strategy).

Overall, a good night of boxing, and well worth the money.