Jtown's Offseason Log

Going to run 5/3/1. Its easy and i simply don’t have the time to keep program hopping. Along with summer lax/ a tough year of school ahead unfortunately i have other priorities besides lifting.

Current Training Max’s (90% of actual max)
Bench-140
Squat-205
Trap Bar Dead-260

Goals by end of offseason (end of febuary 2014)
Bench-185
squat-290
Trap Bar dead-340

Conditioning goals:
6:30 mile
1:50 full field suicide
0:52 300 yard shuttle
ABZ LOL

Calories will be counted most day. Lifting 4x a week. - YouTube This warmup plus lat stretch, dislocates, and full body foam rolling daily.

Probably wont do much conditioning in the summer besides occasional pickup lax and some skill work.

5/29
waist-33.25
weight-?

Squat (Cycle 1, week 1)
135x5
155x5
175x7

Lunges
45x12 x 2

hypers
bw+10 x 20
bw+25 x 15

Didn’t track cals. Work capacity blows

5/30
weight-?
waist-?

No lifting. Mulched a shit ton tho.

Didn’t track cals. God i’m lazy

Hey, how has your progress been? Either stay on 5/3/1, WS4SB’s, or some sort of watered down westside style (read: any use of the conjugate method) program.

DSSG - Just finished lax and maintained strength throughout the season which is good. Hoping to lean out a bit more then continuously get stronger and quicker this offseason. Hows training going?

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
DSSG - Just finished lax and maintained strength throughout the season which is good. Hoping to lean out a bit more then continuously get stronger and quicker this offseason. Hows training going?[/quote]
Alright for myself I suppose. About to hit 330 for my squat tomorrow (or at least that general area). I messed up when testing my conventional deadlift by screwing up my set up/form, and missing my target (360). I will also be switching to a medium width sumo deadlift as my main style for awhile, and attempt to bring it up a bit. I hit two plates touch and go with a narrow grip for my bench, and I’m closing in on a 1.5Xbw bench press.

5/31
Waist-33.5 shit
weight-173 double shit

Bench (Cycle 1, Week 1)
95x5
105x5
120x8 PR cool

Incline
95x9 PR
105x4 x 2

flys
70x15
55x15 x 2

facepulls
25x15 x 3

pushdowns
30x15 x 3

lat pulldown CG
35x15/12/12

So dead. No cal tracking FML im getting fat.

Hey bud, if you’re adamant about running 5/3/1, I’d use the football version. It is EXACTLY what you’re looking for. It would be my go to template for anyone in your position, and it has all phases of the competitive year covered. If you’re trying to get bigger, stronger and faster, jump on it asap. A quick google search will pull it up.

6/1
weight-174
wast-33.5

nada

6/2
weight-171.5
waist-33.25

Did deads today. Going to switch to trap bar next week because of back pain so i’m not going to log about it.

Tracked cals today !

1858cals 180pro/85carb/80fat

6/3
weight- 169
waist-32.25

didn’t track cals. Press tomorrow.

6/4
weight-170.5
waist-33.35

Press (cycle 1, week 1)
65x5
70x5
80x8

db flat
35x15
40x15
45x8 lol

side raise
3 sets of 15

curls
20x15/12/8 owe

calfs
3 sets of 15

should of done a pulldown. damn

6/5
weight-170
waist-33.2ish

Squat (Week 1, Cycle 1)
145x3
165x3
185x5 belt-less

Leg extentions (Had some knee pain so front squats and lunges were out)
90x20 x 3 owe

back extentions
bw+25 x 20/15/12

cable row
35x20/15/15

leg raises
3 sets of 12

diet

was great till i went till golden coral instead of chipolte lol.

I hate to be negative man, as it’s great that you obviously have excellent intentions, especially at a young age, but I think that being held accountable is great for all of us. That being said, you gotta get it together if you wanna reach your goals. At least every other day of your log so far you either didn’t make time to train or you weren’t serious about your nutrition.

If you want to just use an “eating healthy” approach and focus on getting plenty of protein, quality carbs, fruits, veggies, etc, and healthy fats, that can definitely work. But when it comes to tracking macros, either do it or don’t do it. It isn’t hard, just takes some time management and dedication. If it’s important to you, you’ll find a way to get it done. Good luck pal

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
If you want to just use an “eating healthy” approach and focus on getting plenty of protein, quality carbs, fruits, veggies, etc, and healthy fats, that can definitely work. But when it comes to tracking macros, either do it or don’t do it. It isn’t hard, just takes some time management and dedication. If it’s important to you, you’ll find a way to get it done. Good luck pal[/quote]

I understand that in season as an athlete its almost impossible to keep a strict diet. A man has got to eat. Although now that you are in off-season, maybe this is the time to really dial into nutrition and get some good habits happening.

tweet

Pwolves- I disagree with you about training. I have yet to miss a training day. I am only lifting 4x a week right now via 5/3/1. On the other hand my nutrition has been shitty lately. I always do well till late night when i’m out with friends i eat something stupid. I am stopping that by not allowing myself any food after 10 pm and eating my meals earlier.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Bird- Your right. I will be more on point with my diet.

5/6
weight-173.5
waist-33.5

Bench (Cycle 1, Week 2)
95x3
115x3
125x6 had 2 more in tank but no spotter

Incline db
35x15
40x10
40x8

Neutral grip pulldown
42.5x12
35x15
35x12

facepulls
tons

tri pushdown
tons

Great day of lifting, back later with diet.

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
If you want to just use an “eating healthy” approach and focus on getting plenty of protein, quality carbs, fruits, veggies, etc, and healthy fats, that can definitely work. But when it comes to tracking macros, either do it or don’t do it. It isn’t hard, just takes some time management and dedication. If it’s important to you, you’ll find a way to get it done. Good luck pal[/quote]

I understand that in season as an athlete its almost impossible to keep a strict diet. A man has got to eat. Although now that you are in off-season, maybe this is the time to really dial into nutrition and get some good habits happening.

tweet[/quote]

I can completely appreciate this, as a college athlete myself my nutrition definitely suffers during season!

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
Pwolves- I disagree with you about training. I have yet to miss a training day. I am only lifting 4x a week right now via 5/3/1. On the other hand my nutrition has been shitty lately. I always do well till late night when i’m out with friends i eat something stupid. I am stopping that by not allowing myself any food after 10 pm and eating my meals earlier.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Bird- Your right. I will be more on point with my diet.

5/6
weight-173.5
waist-33.5

Bench (Cycle 1, Week 2)
95x3
115x3
125x6 had 2 more in tank but no spotter

Incline db
35x15
40x10
40x8

Neutral grip pulldown
42.5x12
35x15
35x12

facepulls
tons

tri pushdown
tons

Great day of lifting, back later with diet.

[/quote]

After looking back through your log, I apologize Jtown! You are right, no mention of missed training days. It was late when I posted and must have mistakenly assumed training had been helter skelter like nutrition. I do think that it’s important to focus on your nutrition as much as possible though, like Bird said, offseason is a great time to dial it in! Anyways, best of luck. Again, apologizes for the unwarranted criticism

PW- don’t sweat it man i appreciate any insight on things i could improve on!
Diet today was spot on

1892cals/185pro/121carb/69fat

Body composition wise i would like to drop the remaining fat from me. I feel like it will help me be a better athlete. I’m not going to aggressively cut but just keep strict tabs on food and up activity.

Basically i strive for bwx1 gram of protein minimum. Usually hit 180 grams with no problem sometimes more. The rest i fill in with carbs and fats. Carbs around training and fat at other times as i feel better with lower carb approach although i make sure i am properly fueling my training sessions. I don’t see the point of ever exceeding 150g of carbs for me. Calories are at 1800-1900 right now and i don’t see it changing. I am increasing strength and slowly leaning out. Abz are getting more and more visible lol. I also generally stray from gluten and dairy unless im cheating.

Just some diet philosophy.