Wed - Dynamic Lower

SSB Squat @50% with chains for speed
10 X 2 X 260# - explosive reps

Deadlift 1" deficit @50% with chains for speed
10 X 2 X 300#

GHR - 3 X 8

Reverse Hypers
6 plates - 3 X 10

I used the Westside technique for ages and loved it. Reading your thread has itched my curiosity and now I am considering going back. Nice heavy rack pulls and SSB Squats with chains.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
I used the Westside technique for ages and loved it. Reading your thread has itched my curiosity and now I am considering going back. Nice heavy rack pulls and SSB Squats with chains.[/quote]

Thanks GV! Some of the hardcore guys at my gym talked me into it to be honest. I knew I wouldn’t have a chance getting my numbers by June with 5/3/1 so figured it couldn’t hurt. In addition, I can’t deadlift once a week anymore as the weights are simply too heavy and my CNS doesn’t recover easily at my age. I’ve since succumbed to deadlifts once every three weeks so I squat heavy two weeks and then deadlift on the third.

Tomorrow is heavy deadlift day and I’ll be shooting for 600. Hopefully I’ll have a nice video to post tomorrow afternoon. :slight_smile:

Friday - Max Effort Upper

No PR today on the bench, will get it next week. 330 went up fine, 335 was a miss. Don’t think I waited long enough in between sets. (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :slight_smile:

Bench:
bar X 2 X 10
95 X 2 X 6
135 X 5
185 X 5
225 X 3
260 X 2
295 X 2
305 X 1
315 X 1
320 X 1
330 X 1
335 = MISS

Incline Dumbell Press
90 X 3 X 10

Dumbell Rows
120 X 3 X 10

Weighted Chins / Weighted Dips Superset
BW + 90 / BW + 130 X 3 X 10

Done. Max effort lower tomorrow, PR deadlift on the table - looking for 600. Hopefully will have a nmice video to post tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Strong work in here. Good luck with 600 tomorrow. Between you, G1 and GV I have major deadlift envy in the O35.

Ahhhhh, there’s nothing like a PR first thing in the a.m. on a Saturday. Now it’s time to recover and EAT EAT EAT!!! It’s a rainy Saturday here in NC, perfect day to catch up on some movies and chow down eating.

Saturday - Max Effort Lower - Deadlift

135 X 6
225 X 5
315 X 5
405 X 3
455 X 2
515 X 1
565 X 1
600 X 1 = NEW PR

Enjoy the video and have a great weekend!

Congratulations! 600 is a huge accomplishment.

On a different note, on the bench my guess is that all of the 95% plus singles prior to maxing are costing you quite a few pounds. Next time after the double with 260 go 295x1, 315x1, 330x1 and I bet you get 340 after that.

1. Wow.

Thanks dblaser & jjackkrash.

@DB - You may be on to something with the bench. I’m deloading this coming week but will attempt a different approach on my next max upper bench day. Thanks for the tips.

Sooooooo

It was a rainy day here in NC yesterday and I took the opportunity to watch a few movies with the family.

First up - Hunger Games Catching Fire. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this with my daughter and was a little surprised at how entertained I found myself. Certainly wasn’t expecting that ending but has my longing for the next iteration at this point… :slight_smile:

Next up - The Wolverine. What can I say? It’s Wolverine… The story line wasn’t quite what I expected having seem the trailer several times but the movie was enjoyable nonetheless. Definitely not a top movie but certainly worth seeing. I give it 3.5 out of 5.

Last up - American Hustle. All I can say is don’t bother. I found this movie to be booooooring and hum drum to be honest. Pathetic story line that took far too long to develop and the characters were way over the top. Not to mention the incessant usage of F-bombs throughout. The sole standout was Jennifer Lawrence playing a blonde bimbo from Long Island. A far cry from her role as Katniss in The Hunger Games. It was interesting to see her play something so drastically different AND make it believable. I give this one a 2 out of 5 L2TG rating.

Congrats on the 600 pull. Just love seeing us O35ers still getting PRs.

That is one badass pull brother…fantastic… looking forward to seeing more… I was Charlotte Friday night and then Greenville, SC on sat/sat night… would love to catch a SSB session…I could max and then you could start your warm-ups with what I leave on the bar…very efficient !!

Fantastic! Great form for a max effort as well!

Thanks OG/punny!

Tues - Dynamic Upper

Fat Grip / Heavy band barbell bench - explosive reps
185 X 10 X 3

Fat Grip Overhead barbell press
160 X 3 X 8

BW Dips / Heavy Band Pushdowns superset for speed
4 X 25

Wide Grip BW Pullups
3 X 10

[quote]OldGoat wrote:
I could max and then you could start your warm-ups with what I leave on the bar…very efficient !!
[/quote]

Pffffffffffffffffft - something tells me you’d be schooling me a thing or two OG! :slight_smile:

Wed - Dynamic Lower

IT Band was bothering me today, I guess it’s not fully healed yet but oh well, I’ll keep powering through. All reps were explosive and for speed/power.

Conventional Deadlift with Chains from 1" Deficit

315 X 10 X 2

Buffalo Bar Low Box Squat w/Heavy Bands

290 X 10 X 2

DONE!

Wed - Dynamic Lower

IT Band was bothering me today, I guess it’s not fully healed yet but oh well, I’ll keep powering through. All reps were explosive and for speed/power.

Conventional Deadlift with Chains from 1" Deficit

315 X 10 X 2

Buffalo Bar Low Box Squat w/Heavy Bands

290 X 10 X 2

DONE!

I love the sound chains make! nice work young gun!

Sorry I’m late but holy crap you deadlifted more than 3xBW. That’s awesome, really awesome.

Awesome pull!

315x10 from a deficit with chains would test both my strength and fitness levels. High rep pulls seem a lot like work to me. Nice job.