Journey To Pythagorean Perfection

Those are some very respectable deadlift numbers, especially for someone just starting out.

Deadlifts followed by deadlifts? Are you crazy? No wonder you sleep well!!

How tall are you and what do you weigh? Not sure if you’ve said.

Great work.

I think you’ll be adjusting your first set of goals sooner than expected. Good lifting.

420x5…AWESOME!

Awesome work all around brozini, I see your another guy with the pressing and chin super set, I do it as well its a great push and pull thang and the cherry on top is the time you save!

those are some seriously fine numbers all around and when you drop in that you are 184…its a win for the man who is late to the game!!. Great work.

Hey fellow mature lifters, long time no speak. I guess I deserve some ripping as I’ve been extremely lackluster in keeping my log up to date and it’s time I got my lazy ass back in here to keep you guys up to date! :slight_smile:

My training has been going incredibly well. I’m currently in deload week of month 3 on 5/3/1 and I am absolutley loving my progress. Strength is continuously on the upside and my weight has recently been following suit. My last weigh in had me at 190.8, still not where I want to be on the body fat % side of the equation, but progress is progress I guess…

I’ve made a slight mod to the “boring but big” template on squat/dead days. Rather than 5 X 10 across, I’ve changed it to 5 X 8 @ 60% 1RM. I found that 5 X 10 was too much volume and my lower back was getting creamed. So far 40 reps seems to be the sweet spot and my back has been in agreement with this new approach so I’m sticking with it. In addition, I’ve been adding in other supplemtal exercises and finishing off with a superset of 3 exercises hitting opposing muscle groups in addition to the supplemental main lift.

For example, on bench day I’ll do 5 X 10 on the bench @ 60% 1RM supersetted with weighted chins and T-Bar rows. Following that I’ll throw in a superset of flyes and DB rows using increasing weight in a 12/10/8/6 rep scheme. I’ve really been digging this approach and haven’t been burned out at all (yet). During deload week I’m doing the warmups only followed by the primary lift at 60%, deads/squats 5X8, bench/mil press 5X10.

Diet has been ok but recently started logging everything I eat in MyFitnessPal so I can begin to fine tune my macro ratios/total cals in line with my body requirements for my current training. I’ll experiment a little and toss whatever doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve been using a low carb approach thus far and admittedly, I’m still not happy with my body fat%. I might try upping the carb side of the equation a tad and see how I respond. Currently I’m ussually around 100g/day. I will slowly increase over the coming weeks to 200 and see what happens and reassess after a few weeks.

As for current maxes, all are up. My squat is now back to 300 which has me extremely happy after the hit I took when switching to the SSB.

Current maxes last week were as follows:

Squat: 300 X 3
Bench: 250 X 5
Dead: 435 X 3
Mil Press: 145 X 5

Progress is sweet and it’s good to be back!

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:

How tall are you and what do you weigh? Not sure if you’ve said.

Great work.[/quote]

Missed this FB - 6’0 and weight is now 191, was around 185 when I posted this.

Welcome back! Awesome progress - I’m jealous!

Thanks Cav! It feels good to be back. I need to drop by and say hi in your thread!

Short & sweet last night. 30 minutes/500 cals on the elliptical. In and out!

Deads tonight :slight_smile:

9/15 - Deload deads.

Warmup:
5 X 185
5 X 230
3 X 275

Work:

5 X 8 X 285

Done

This morning I hit the elliptical for 30 minutes and I’ll be hitting military presses @ 11:00.

Looking forward to week one of month 4 next week. I really feel like a pussy during deload week but I’m sure the body needs it…

Presses done.

Warm up:
5 X 60
5 X 75
5 X 95

Work:
5 X 10 X 100

30 seconds rest between sets, in and out. I’m glad I’m done with pussy girlie week (a.k.a. deload). I never feel like I’ve accomplished anything and I’m really looking forward to squats on Monday!

I seem to have developed a cold and I’m feeling like shite! Oh well, nothing the prowler won’t cure in the a.m. At least we have some nice dry & cool weather. Should be nice tomorrow morning (in the 50’s). I can’t wait.

Welcome back bro! Im loving this cool weather to it was in the 40’s overnight it was great!

6’ and 190 lbs, you must be really lean to be hitting those numbers. I’m a blubbery 215, will diet down when I’m happy with my size & strength levels (which, alas, probably will be never).

[quote]late2thegame wrote:
Presses done.

Warm up:
5 X 60
5 X 75
5 X 95

Work:
5 X 10 X 100

30 seconds rest between sets, in and out. I’m glad I’m done with pussy girlie week (a.k.a. deload). I never feel like I’ve accomplished anything and I’m really looking forward to squats on Monday!

I seem to have developed a cold and I’m feeling like shite! Oh well, nothing the prowler won’t cure in the a.m. At least we have some nice dry & cool weather. Should be nice tomorrow morning (in the 50’s). I can’t wait.[/quote]

There in lies the answer…deloads make you rest…so you heal and at the same time piss you off because you think you are wasting effort and time…than comes the next cycle and BAM! hungry and ready…and welcome back

9/17 Entry:

Weigh-in @ 187.

Prowler Push:
Sled + 90#
12 X 40 yard sprints.

Will be starting a new nutrition plan this week in conjunction with the start of month 4 of 5/3/1. Up until now I’ve been following a low carb approach with total calories usually in the 2000-2200 range. My carbs have been limited to 100g/day or less and I’ve been wondering if it’s impacting my training/fat loss so I’m going with the “Get Big Without Getting Fat Diet” that was featured a few weeks back.

I cooked up my food yesterday, seperated into individual containers and logged it in MyFitnessPal to get a sense of the total numbers which were as follows:

Total Cals: 2751
Carbs: 343
Protein: 259
Fat: 38

I may add in 2 X Tbsp almond butter to my bedtime shake just to get closer 3000 but I’ll see how it’s going first. I’m definitely looking forward to the new nutrition plan and the new week of 5/3/1.

Squats tonight! Hopefully the additional carbs enable me to push a little harder. I must admit, the “carb-o-phobe” in me is quaking in his boots but screw it, what’s one month on high carb right? It might help me break this stupid plateau anyway…

Bring it baby!

Do you have any food allergies? I’m sensitive to grains and stuff, and it makes its hard to kick up carbs. You sound lean enough that you might not have problems.

Hey Cav - None that I’m aware of. I’m doing it primarily through brown rice and potatoes. I’ll know tonight during aquats if it makes a difference or not :slight_smile:

I’m intrigued by people who can “carb up” and do great. Myself, carbs just make me fat. My performance is affected directly by how much meat I eat.

Cav - Do you know if it’s carbs in general or could it be the “type” of carbs?

9/19 Workout

It felt good to hit the iron hard & heavy! My legs feel like jell-o brand mush this a.m. so it must have been good right?

Diet:

Total Cals: 2931
Fat: 54g
Carbs: 350g
Protein: 264g

Workout was squats today.

Warm up:
130 X 5
165 X 5
195 X 3

Work:
210 X 5
245 X 5
275 X 6

Supp:
195 X 5 X 8

Front Squat superset w/ Leg Curls

Front Squats:
Empty Bar X 6
65 X 6
135 X 6
145 X 12
165 X 10
185 X 8
200 X 6

Leg Curls:
110 X 4 X 8

Calf Raises:
90 X 12
180 X 12
230 X 10
250 X 8

Type of carbs has a lot to do with it. Grains are a killer, if I eat a big plate of pasta, it’s cramps for hours. Rice and sweet potatoes are easier, but still tend to soften me up and don’t help my mood. Fruit and nuts seem to be the safest.

Still, carbs rarely satisfy me, it’s protein which feels good in the belly.

A 200# front squat?? Man, I gotta get my lifts up!

That FS leg curl super set sounds awful lol. Nice work man!