Journey To Pythagorean Perfection

Welcome and congrats on starting a log.

I think that 3/4/5 is going to be here before you know it and you’ll be looking for some new goals to hit.

Have you read the latest 5/3/1 manual? He’s got sprints on your lower body days to maximize recovery. It also looks like you’re doing the BBB version. Nice.

james

That’s why I was asking how many years you’ve put into this, your weights are really impressive. I’m so envious of people who seem to blow up just playing around with no particular plan.

As for Lehigh Valley, sorry, I’m way over near Pittsburgh. But there’s several guys here in New York . . .

@cav - Thanks man! I’ll have to look up some of the guys in NY. I work in Manhattan so maybe I could hook up with someone one day after hours!

I was busy yesterday so didn’t get a chance to log Friday & Saturday workouts.

Friday was press day and this is one of my weakest lifts. Definitely needs work…

Warm ups:
1 X 5 X 60
1 X 5 X 75
1 X 3 X 90

Work:
1 X 3 X 105
1 X 3 X 120
1 X 6 X 131

Supplemental:
1 X 10 X 120
1 X 10 X 110
1 X 10 X 100
1 X 10 X 90
1 X 10 X 80

Weighted Dips:
5 X 10 X BW + 50#

Chins (front grip/super wide)
5 X 10 X BW

Saturday workout was Prowler Push!

10 X 40yd sprints, 90# and a mix of high bar/low bar grips.

I’ve attached a video, just ignore my wife & neighbor talking about beach chairs :slight_smile:

Nice pushing.

I like math and, hence, your log title.

Maybe I should shoot for a raw 100, 200, 300 (bench, squat, DL). But that doesn’t work mathemathically now in terms of a right angle triangle, does it?

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Nice pushing.

I like math and, hence, your log title.

Maybe I should shoot for a raw 100, 200, 300 (bench, squat, DL). But that doesn’t work mathemathically now in terms of a right angle triangle, does it?[/quote]

No, but it works for the series of prime numbers.

Nice lifting so far. Good luck, I just started the 5/3/1 for PL, and so far it has been an interesting ride.

Good morning brothers and sisters of the iron! Last night was the start of week three on my first round of 5/3/1 and squat night was on deck.

Just a bit of complaining first - I really love the fact that there’s no stress on my shoulders/arms when squatting with the yoke bar, but it still bugs the sh^# out of me that I’m lifting waaay less weight. It really blows having previously crossed the 300 barrier and being back in the 270’s. No doubt I’ll be over 300 again in a few weeks, but it really throws a damper on things from a mental perspective. - End of rant

Squat:
Warmup:
6 X 80
5 X 120
5 X 130
3 X 150

Work:
1 X 5 X 220
1 X 3 X 250
1 X 3 X 278

Supp:
5 X 10 X 150

Leg Ext:
5 X 8 X 170

Leg Curls:
5 X 10 X 85

Hanging Leg Raises:
3 X 20

Incline Situps (with 10# medicine ball extended overhead)
2 X 10

Looking forward to benching tonight as I have 241 queued up for my final workset and I’ve never lifted this much before. I’m interested to see how many I can get!

Catch you later!

Chris

241 will fly up! think strong, think light,…I am sure once you get used to the bar that 300 will go zooooooooming by…my guess is Pete S maybe abl to give you some insights…

Good squatting, Christ. I just noticed you’re in Pennsylvania, whereabouts are you?

@cav - I’m in Lehigh Valley. You?

@OG - Thanks for the inspiration, you were right BTW! :slight_smile: Log to follow:

7/12 - Bench & Assistance

Bench Warmup:
100 X 5
135 X 5
150 X 3

Work:
190 X 5
220 X 3
241 X 6 (Why 241? Because that’s what the math said to do and I have micro weights! :slight_smile: )

Supp (Bench + Weight Chins Superset):
5 X 10 X 140 - Bench
5 X 10 X BW +45# - Chins

Assistance:
Incline Bench:
4 X 10 X 165

Chest Flye + Weighted Dips + DB Row (Superset)
(4 X 10 X 120) + (4 X 10 X BW + 50#) + (4 X 80 X 10)

Sweet training last night, I felt great and the bench was flying off my chest. It felt good to do 241 as that’s the heaviest I’ve ever benched in my life and I’m diggin the whole PR thing :slight_smile:

Tonight will be hill sprints @ the local high school. I’ll take some pics as it’s quite a challenge!

Will drop by some of your threads today, I’ve been bad at that over the last couple days!

Make it great!

Chris

Good stuff Chris. Like others have said you’ll blow past 300 soon once you get used to the bar.

[quote]dday wrote:
Good stuff Chris. Like others have said you’ll blow past 300 soon once you get used to the bar.[/quote]

Thanks dday! I know you guys are right, it’s just frustrating taking a step back like that.

Good lifting, Chris, I’m envious. I live near Pittsburgh, sorry, not close at all.

Nice bench work…a 6 on the heaviest weight you have ever done is just awesome…next stop 300! But its those chins at +45 that really impress…great work.

Awesome job on bench. It’s a great feeling isn’t it?

I understand how the lower weights can bum you out but it really is a different lift. It’s like comparing front squat numbers to regular squat numbers. They’ll never be the same. Try to think of it as something entirely different.

@OG - Thanks! Keep in mind though, I currently weigh in at a paltry 184 so it’s only like doing chins @ 225. Many guys around here bat them out at that weight like they’re nothing :slight_smile:

@our - Thanks for the tip! 90% of this stuff is mental (if not more). I love getting another perspective on things just to challenge the way I look at things myself.

7/13 - Well my neighbor that usually does sprints with me backed out at the last minute so I did the next BESTEST thing, PROWLER baby!!

2 X 40yds with no weight - Full Out
10 X 40yds with 90# - Full Out

My son banged out 6 X 40yds. with no weight. Didn’t puke this time but I suspect he approached the sled gingerly last night if you know what I mean…

Deads/Shrugs tonight!

Catch you later,
Chris

Oh one other thing. Is a deload week absolutely necessary after the first three weeks on 5/3/1? I’m asking as I’m supposed to have surgery on 8/2 to remove some skin on my back with atypical cells. I’d like to get another three weeks in prior to the surgery as I’m hosed on anything upper body for at least two weeks until the stitches come out. The removal is just below my right shoulder and will be a 2" oval which I fear will open right back up if I do any push/pull exercises, esp pull ups…

Thoughts?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

I understand how the lower weights can bum you out but it really is a different lift. It’s like comparing front squat numbers to regular squat numbers. They’ll never be the same. Try to think of it as something entirely different.[/quote]

This is spot on. Squatting with the SSB/Yoke bat is a different exercise, the bar is higher up on the neck, the weight is spread out differently, etc etc. Puts a lot more strain on the upper back too, you build good static lat strength using the SSB.

7/14 - Deads & BB Shrugs

This one always takes a lot out of me. I think it’s the volume of the supplemental deads that does it but I always sleep well after so that’s a plus.

Warmup:
5 X 185
5 X 225
3 X 265

Work:
5 X 315
3 X 375
5 X 420

Supp:
5 X 10 X 275
I really struggled on reps 8-10 of sets 9&10 on this one. My lower back was really feeling it and shrugs were a bear as a result…

Shrugs:
3 X 8 X 355

That’s a wrap! Mil Press day today.

Catch you guys later.

Chris

[quote]PeteS wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

I understand how the lower weights can bum you out but it really is a different lift. It’s like comparing front squat numbers to regular squat numbers. They’ll never be the same. Try to think of it as something entirely different.[/quote]

This is spot on. Squatting with the SSB/Yoke bat is a different exercise, the bar is higher up on the neck, the weight is spread out differently, etc etc. Puts a lot more strain on the upper back too, you build good static lat strength using the SSB. [/quote]

Thanks for stopping by Pete. I can definitely feel everything you mentioned when lifting using the SSB. The first time I used it was an eye opener. I struggled at 260 when 340 X 5 wasn’t an issue using a standard BB. Crazy…

420x5 …nice dead numbers. I can see 500 right around the corner for you, in fact it looks like you’ll be hitting all your goals sooner rather than later.