Journey To Pythagorean Perfection

Thanks jjackkrash.

Truth be told, I went from a great upper session on Friday to a disappointing squat session today. My goal was 490 on the SSB but I only made it up to 465 for a single and a sloppy single at that. Called it a day there, didn’t want to get hurt with only 9 weeks to go.

Sat: Max effort squat:

SSB X 2 X 6
130 X 6
170 X 5
210 X 5
260 X 3
310 X 3
390 X 2
440 X 1
465 X 1 - UGLY SINGLE

Stopped there today, I usually do rack pulls or something similar but wasn;t feeling it today. Live to fight another day at this age is what I always say. :slight_smile:

Have a great weekend everyone!

Damn, you must have springs in those legs :smiley:

I see a 335 lbs pause bench in the near future for you. You’re right every day isn’t the best but you moved good weight for that SSB squat and next time you’ll get more.

Does the PR count if you kill brain cells before the lift?

Just kidding. Nice work!

May 11 - 2014

Max Squat.

Been busy the last few weeks with real life, haven’t been able to post. 5 weeks out from the meet and progress is still steady. Had a great squat session today and I’m feeling good going into this meet. Bodyweight has been steady at 208, I May do a water weight cut and go for 198 given I only have 10 pounds to go. Should be doable…

Safety Squat Bar:

Bar X 8
130 X 5
170 X 5
220 X 5
270 X 5
325 X 5
375 X 3
425 X 2
465 X 1
490 X 1
510 X 1 = New PR

Holy crap - an entire year since my last post!!! Well, it’s been a slow year for me, shortly after making my post on May 11th I blew out my left IT Band. This was 10 days out from my meet scheduled for June-2014 and I’ve been working on recovery and rehabilitation since then.

I recently felt good enough to compete and entered a meet on May-30th, almost a year to the date of my injury. My goal was 1500 and I wound up with a 1460 raw total at 213 body weight (competed in 220 open/masters classes).

Finished second in open and first in masters and set three records for RPS.

Squat = 515
Bench = 325
Deadlift = 620
Total = 1460

I’m now in full blast training mode for my next meet in December and I’ll be logging progress here over the next 6 months, including videos along the way.

My goal for a total is 1550 and I’d like to dead close to 700 and squat close to 600. Truth be told, my squat should be close already, I’m better than a 515 squat and technically should be close to 585. I did 480 X 7 last Friday but just really screwed the pooch at my meet. 2 misses on technicalities (not listening to commands) but making good lifts to depth. I basically had my head up my ass and went 1 for 3 to start the meet (definitely NOT how I wanted to start).

Finished off 3 for 3 on deadlifts with 550/590/620 respectively. I was expecting a bear of a lift for 620 and it went up surprisingly easy (all things considered). I honestly think I could have had 640 but I’ll go for broke in December. This was more or less a tune-up for me to set new maxes and begin a few cycles of Lillibridge method.

I hope everyone is doing well!!!

Looking forward to catching up with “old” virtual friends.

Records for proof considering I don’t have videos.

Currently ranked 12th nationally in the masters/220 class. Top 10 will be easy by December and I have my eyes on top 6!

Dang, I guess you have been busy son ! Freakin’ awesome stuff! I see you lift in Revolution, They have a push pull near me in late July…I was thinking of heading and taking a peek.

[quote]OldGoat wrote:
Dang, I guess you have been busy son ! Freakin’ awesome stuff! I see you lift in Revolution, They have a push pull near me in late July…I was thinking of heading and taking a peek.[/quote]

Thanks OG. Believe it or not I only started training heavy again about 3 months ago. I’ve certainly come a long way. I totally reworked my squat form over the last year and it’s had a HUGE impact on my numbers. My old form was quad dominant which played a large role in my IT Band injury. Oddly enough, my lower back issues have all but disappeared since I learned how to squat “correctly”.

I take it you’re referring to the CT meet? I highly recommend you go check it out if you have the time. Gene runs an awesome meet and I think you’d enjoy it. You’ll definitely leave feeling energized and focused.

Good to hear from you old friend!

If you dont mind me asking could you go into more about your IT band issue?

Congrats on being so high on the Masters 220 lbs records list. I’ll be coming after a top five spot on that list this year if I can get my stuff together. Good to see you back. I’m going to have to look in to competing in RPS.

Strong numbers first meet back off of only 3 months of serious training.

Wow. Great stuff happening here! Glad to see you back. And I hope you’re fully recovered. Sure seems like it.

Jun - 20, 2015
Max rep deadlifts / pause squats

135 X 5
225 X 3
315 X 1
365 X 1
405 X 1
465 X 1
545 X 4

My goal was 5 or 6 and I fell short. Gym was extremely humid today and my slipped grip was the limiting factor, strength was there for sure. I ripped the callouses off my left hand on the 4th rep. Oh well, this is still a good session and I’m happy with my strength.

Squat:
135 X 5
225 X 3
275 X 3 X 3 with a 3 second pause in the hole.

Isometric rack pulls with fat grips holding bar to failure at the top.

3 sets.

Core work.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
Congrats on being so high on the Masters 220 lbs records list. I’ll be coming after a top five spot on that list this year if I can get my stuff together. Good to see you back. I’m going to have to look in to competing in RPS.[/quote]

Thanks GV - I’m gunning for top 6 by December GV so let’s do it together. 1600 is tough but certainly not impossible. It would be great to have someone to go up against along the way! :slight_smile:

RPS is a great fed, Gene runs an amazing meet, go check one out. Do you have a meet in mind?

[quote]DBasler wrote:
Strong numbers first meet back off of only 3 months of serious training. [/quote]

Thanks DBasler! I’m feeling really good lately, the aches and pains have been limited since changing up my squat form. I just hope I stay healthy this time around.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Wow. Great stuff happening here! Glad to see you back. And I hope you’re fully recovered. Sure seems like it.[/quote]

Hey there kpsnap! Thanks for dropping by and checking in. I feel pretty decent as of late, thanks for asking. The time off and rehab routine did wonders. I’ve shirked on doing core work and mobility for a long time and it finally caught up with me last year. At least now I know better.

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
If you dont mind me asking could you go into more about your IT band issue?[/quote]

I’d be happy to bulldog9899.

What would you like to know specifically?

So I checked out RPS and all the meets are up north so the chance of me getting to one is slim but I’d love to if possible. Yeah, I’m into the challenge of reaching to get as high as we can on the list. Heck I’d love to make it back on to the top 100 all time in the 220’s, I haven’t been there for a few years. I think we have a great goal to reach for.