Journey to Jr Nationals

I recently started competing again. My first show began in August of 2009 and again I competed in May of 2010. This is what I looked like when I started. I competed in OCB and joined up with a trainer in Richmond.

In 2010 I only took 3rd and when I asked the head judge what I needed to work on she stated that I have the body for figure just need a more solid diet. So after dealing with health issues and moving back home I joined forces with her and started my journey again

front shot

I started training with Jill May of last year so its been about a year and I have gained 10 lbs of muscle and some much needed size. I also changed federations. I am now competing in NPC and absolutly love it. I competed April 28th at the max muscle show and won 1st in the Figure C class and 2nd in overall.

After asking the head judge what I needed to improve on to take me to Jr. Nationals I know what I have to do. I need to work on shrinking my waist by wearing a weight belt when I lift. I also can not add any more size except for widening my back some more and they also want me to bring my quad sweep up

when i first started in may

and another

and the infamous gym mirror pic

beginning of april

beginning of april

show time

max muscle

more…

here I am now 5 weeks out till Jr. Nationals…tell me what you think.

I am eating 7 times a day…following the judges advice on lifting and 40 min of cardio a day

5 weeks out

weighed myself this morning 143…5 lbs off from stage weight 2 weeks ago…and if I trust the hand held bf measuring tool 15%…lol

[quote]wells_an wrote:
I started training with Jill May of last year so its been about a year and I have gained 10 lbs of muscle and some much needed size. I also changed federations. I am now competing in NPC and absolutly love it. I competed April 28th at the max muscle show and won 1st in the Figure C class and 2nd in overall.

After asking the head judge what I needed to improve on to take me to Jr. Nationals I know what I have to do. I need to work on shrinking my waist by wearing a weight belt when I lift. I also can not add any more size except for widening my back some more and they also want me to bring my quad sweep up[/quote]

Shows what I know. I thought your quads were a strong point.

Wells it looks like you are right on track!! I have a quick question, did you follow the advice about wearing a weight belt to narrow your waist? If so, do you think it helped? I ask because I have a blocky waist and could use some tips or pointers to work on that. Thanks

[quote]wells_an wrote:
here I am now 5 weeks out till Jr. Nationals…tell me what you think.

I am eating 7 times a day…following the judges advice on lifting and 40 min of cardio a day[/quote]

Improving back width, and even mid-thickness is always a plus. I really focused on that when my fiance competed last year.

I would personally like to see your upper legs a bit tighter. Obviously you seem to have a good deal of muscle there, but the advice to add sweep may have been more in reference to being tighter and an illusion of sweep than actually gaining bulk.

Also, I’ve heard one IFBB Pro in particular mention wearing a belt to prevent his waist from thickening, and to be honest, I think it’s pretty unfounded. Your waist (obliques) are muscles, and your hips, are bones. How wide your waist is all depends on genetics. How much your quads sweep and side delts and lats create the illusion of a smaller waist is something you can affect.

Keep pushing hard, 5 weeks is a lot of time if you don’t rest on your laurels!

Good Luck!

S

I think the whole purpose behind the belt which I agree with is causing the obliques to rely on support instead of strengthening the core. Kind of like relying on a brace for ankles or wrists will actually cause the area to become weaker. I know a waist size is hips and obliques but my obliques are huge from being a gymnast and having a strong core. The belt does work for some because of the idea behind it. It’s not like how everyone thinks a million sit ups will give you abs. That’s genetics.

down a pound…142…4 lbs over stage weight

what Im sticking to now until I send pics this weekend to my trainer

M1: 5 egg whites, 1/2 c. oats
M2: 4 oz. turkey, 1/2 c. green beans
M3: 4 oz. turkey, 6 oz. sweet potato
M4: shake and 12 almonds
M5: 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1/2 c. brown rice
M6: 2 oz. chicken, 2 oz. flank, 2 egg whites, 12 asparagus
M7: large spinach salad with balsalmic vinegarrette

lift 3 days on 1 day off…am sent a new work out daily and for now 40 min of cardio daily…I mainly do incline walking 15% at 3.8