Journey To Dad Life 2020⁸

After a long time of lurking, I’ve decided to give it a shot and keep a training log. Never bothered trying to keep one before, so bear with me. I’ll try to iron out the kinks as I go.

A little back story about me before I get started. I’m a 28 year old factory worker. I’ve been on the fat side of the scale for as long as I can remember, if i remember correctly I hit the 200 pound mark around 7th grade. I’ve lifted and tried to be more active on and off for around 7 years. The past 3 years have been the longest length of time that I have kept any kind of consistency and seen any significant progress, after stepping on a scale and seeing it jump to over 300 pounds I decided it was time for a change. I got down to around 200 after about 2 years, and I have usually only fluctuated about 5 pounds or so ever since.
2 months ago my wife and I found out we are expecting our first child. The morning sickness hit her pretty hard so I have been trying to help as much as I can. Doing so has used up a lot of my time outside of work and I’ve shot back up around 30 pounds in 2 months.
I don’t want to be a fat dad, I want to be able to run and play with my son without being out of breath and I would like to encourage healthier lifestyle choices while he is young.

Current stats:
Height- 5’7
Weight- 230 lbs

Current lifts:
I don’t really know the usual format for this, I have never tried to figure out my 1rm for any lift as I’m usually working out alone.

Bench- 225×5
Squat- 275×5
Deadlift- 315×5

I usually try to do 3 main lifts as a first priority and then 2 or 3 accessory lifts after

Day 1- push
Dumbbell bench- 3×10
Dumbbell extension- 3×10
Dumbbell shoulder press- 3×10
Dumbbell flyes- 3×10
Tricep push downs- 3×10 & reverse grip- 3×10
Smith machine seated press- 3×10
One accessory lift of my choosing for each muscle group to finish.

Day 2- pull
Lat pull down- 3×10
Standing dumbbell curls- 3×10
Lateral raises- 3×10
Cable row- 3×10
Hammer curls- 3×10
Front raises- 3×10

Day 3- Lower push
Squat- 3×10
Leg extensions- 3×10
Landmine squat- 3×10

Day 4- Push
Incline dumbbell- 3×10
Tricep dips- 3×10
Seated barbell press- 3×10
Dumbell pullovers- 3×10
Skullcrushers- 3×10
Arnold press- 3×10

Day 5- Pull
Barbell rows- 3×10
Preacher curls- 3×10
Bent over raise- 3×10
Dumbbell row- 3×10
Zottman curl- 3×10
Facepulls-3×10

Day 6‐ Lower Pull
Deadlift- 3×10
Leg curls- 3×10
Stiff leg dumbell deadlift- 3×10

Day 7- rest

Any advice or tweaks are appreciated.
1 Like

Big congrats!

As for commentary on your program. Im unqualified to give programming advice and Not sure the exact nature of your job but based on your stated goal (run around without dying for oxygen) I’d have expected to see some (easy or hard) conditioning/cardio