Journey to 100/120 Training Log!

Hey,

Finally had a chance to post!

I’ve been Oly lifting for about 9 months now. I’ve had no coaching, just watched countless you tube videos. Also reading articles and logs from TNation and CalStrength to help with technique. My lifts as of a few weeks ago are 80/95 at BW 78kg.

My Goal is to hit the 90kg snatch and 105kg C&J within the year - hopefully not too optimistic.

I’m looking to find a coach and gym to help my training and then start competing as soon as possible. Everywhere seems to be at least an hour away.

A proper program has been pretty non-existant, tried using percentages and the bulgarian program (nearly killed me 2x/3x a day) - Have been using a new program for 7 weeks and seems to be doing the job. Simplicity is the way forward… as much weight lifted over the shortest amount of time.

Todays training - usually on thursdays but had to move it around!

BS
Bar 2x6
60kg 2x5
80kg 1x3
95kg 4x6 - 1st set felt heavy, smoked the rest.

OHS
55kg 3x8

FS
75kg 3x8

RDL
75kg 4x10 - Ignorance meant I didn’t realise the benefits of strong hamstrings, has helped my strength a lot!

Will try to take more videos, to get a little feedback on technique. Cleans tomorrow!

Cheers, James

10/05/2011

Cleans
Warm-up
Bar 2x10
40kg 2x5
60kg 1x3
70kg 1x3
77.5kg 5x3

Power Cleans
75kg 3x6

Push Jerk
72.5kg 5x3

Behind the neck Snatch grip press
47.5kg 3x12

Vertical Jump
3x6

Here’s a video of my 3rd set of cleans.

Is there any way of rotating the video I posted?

11/05/2011

Rest day!

I have weak shoulders so use my rest days to train them. 100 DB presses, seated cuban presses, overhead face pulls and partial DB shoulder press.

12?05/2011

Training was good, really concentrated on being quick under the bar.

Snatch
Warm-up
Bar 2x12
40kg 2x3
50kg 1x4
55kg 5x6 - on some of the snatches my bodyweight seems to move to the front of my feet and I nearly lose the bar

OHS
57.5kg 5x6

BS
77.5kg 4x10

Hypers
4x20

Ab work
Leg raises 3x12
Plank

Forget the Bulgarian system mate. Theres no point in you training 2-3x a day 6-7x a week.

Your Clean looks okay. Your slow on the way down, good pull, its too light. Load it up a bit and we’ll see how your form is at nearer limits.

Get your FS up is my biggest piece of advice after learning some consistent technique.

Drive the hr to get coaching once a week mate. The fastest way to get good technique is with a coach. Online learning helps but it’s no substitute for a coach who can give you real time advice one very lift as oppose to feedback from a video.

Post up some Sn, C&J and FS at various weights and go up until you fail. You learn a lot more at nearer limit weighs of 90 95+ percentages.

Keep it up!

Koing

Hey Koing, thanks for the reply and advice. Nice Lifts mate!

Is there any way to increase my speed on the way down or is it just a progression over time as the weights get heavier? I’ll post up some Snatch and C&J video’s at 90 plus% during next weeks training.

Does that mean the program i’m doing isn’t going to help increase my lifts as much, compared to one where i’m hitting 90-100% every time I train the competitive lifts?

Will start hitting the FS on Saturdays to bring it up.

I have this Sunday off so will head up to Sutton.

13/05/2011

C&J
Warm-up
Bar
40kg 2x6
60kg 2x3
70kg 1x3
80kg 5x3 - Felt very comfortable, getting stronger. Will take a video next time.

Hang Clean
67.5kg 3x6

Snatch grip press with OHS
42.5kg 3x3+3

Jump Squats
67.5kg 3x6

Military Press
52.5kg 3x6

14/05/2011

FS
Warm-up
Bar 2x10
40kg 1x6
60kg 1x6
80kg 1x6
90kg 1x3
100kg 2x3
105kg 2x3
110kg 3x2 - 1,0-1,1-1,1- +2.5kg PB!
100kg 1x3
90kg 1x3
80kg 2x3

Core and Stretches

Ditch the jump squats.

Is there any way to increase my speed on the way down or is it just a progression over time as the weights get heavier? I’ll post up some Snatch and C&J video’s at 90 plus% during next weeks training.

-Do bar work, if you can’t move an empty bar lightening fast you won’t be faster with heavy weights, the only case your faster with a heavy bar is when you can use it to pull under the bar, this won’t be the case for you yet but in time you will be able to do this
-It takes many many 1000’s of hrs to be fast with the bar. Just keep focusing on it and it will happen. I am a much different lifter now then when I had a few 1000s under my belt. It’s taken me about 12yrs of training to amass about 4000hrs. Some learn a lot faster and the guy I coach (OxMan) has picked up speed very naturally as well as me beasting him every session about it. His Snatch is good, he gets coached once a week and he can do Bw now after a little over a year + 5kg on his bw.
-Just keep lifting and focus on the technique and speed. It will come to you mate.
-Watch a video of my bro, he is very fast under the bar.

Does that mean the program i’m doing isn’t going to help increase my lifts as much, compared to one where i’m hitting 90-100% every time I train the competitive lifts?
-It will help you out. I wouldn’t advise singles for you yet. Your main trainings hould be doubles and triples for SN and doubles for C&J. You need volume to get the required amount of lifts in to improve your technique. Once it’s better then you can get more fancy with your programming.

GET CONSISTENT TECHNIQUE first, then you can go crazy. Strip your programme of fluff. You want to lift big weights right?

FS
Sn
CJ

Do some redial strength stuff once a session or so to keep your overall strength levels okay. But once you get more advance you can ditch that stuff also or just do it once a week.

This is my take on it after 12yrs of training and 5yrs of coaching. Others will have their own view points etc. Listen to one person and don’t get caught up in everyones opinion on stuff.

If you get a coach I would highly recommend you listen to him unless he is incompetent. He is the one that will be there for your coaching week in week out. He puts the time and effort to be there for YOU.

Koing

Hey Koing, thanks for the reply.

Are there any other excercises that I can replace the jump squats with? (explosive power)

I think on my rest days and not just workout days, i’m going to have to increase my bar work. Suppose thats a prime example of why getting a coach is so important esp if you want to be competitive. I saw a video of your younger brother, 71/90 at 15 and at his bw? epic :@ makes me wish i hadnt been mucking around bench pressing all that time!

The volume and intensity of my program at the moment, were the two important compotnents as I constantly hit plateaus with other workouts i’d tried. I’ll decrease the reps on the Sn and C&J but increase the sets.

Yeah, lifting BIG weights is really the only reason why I want to O’Lift. I know what you mean, the other an ex rugby player came over after seeing me train last week. Told stories of when he used to do cleans. He then proceeded to tell me what i was doing wrong and that i should train how he used to. It’s easy to get caught up with different opinions and programs, its finding one that works and sticking to it… after the technique is consistent.

I will see what happens when I go up to Sutton, hopefully i can make a little headway.

When’s your next competition mate?

Thanks again for the advice.

Feels like a long time since I last posted… I’ve been ill since Wednesday with flu, a fever and generally feeling as strong as my 3 day old nephew. But i’m nearly 100%, managed to train today properly for the first time…happy days!

Here’s the training I managed from this week.
16/5/2011 - Felt rough when i woke up, thought i’d feel better once i started to train.

Cleans
Warm-up
Bar 3x6
40kg 2x6
60kg 1x4 - started to go hot and cold (sweating buckets)
70kg 2x3 - felt fine again
80kg 5x3 - the weight felt pretty easy but i didnt feel right

Power Cleans
77.5kg 3x6 - walked out afterwards, felt sick

17/5/2011 - was back at 100%

Snatch
Warm-up
Bar 2x14
40kg 2x4
50kg 1x3
57.5kg 5x6 - no problems what so ever

OHS
60kg 5x6

BS
80kg 4x10

Hypers
4x22

Ab work/Plank
3x12

21/5/2011 - First day back so only light work

BS
Bar 3x20
40 3x10

MSn
Bar 3x10

Shoulder work - Partial DB shoulder press,seated cuban presses, overhead face pulls and 50 DB OH press.

quote - ‘Just remember, somewhere, a little Chinese girl is warming up on your max’

In that video he did 73/95 @ 62.5kg. He did the British Youths and came 3rd, but admittedly he was a year and then some younger then the other 2 guys and 5kg lighter. They will be too old to lift next year at the British Youths.

Bro @ 63kg
77x

77/100 @ 63 + 10kg on to his total, he said the C&J were p!ss easy.

Don’t do PC mate.

Just hammer the bar work

FS
Sn
CJ
+strength work (pick one exercise)
abs or back, alternate this.

This is what I would prescribe. Do the Jerks after the Cleans.

Yes going to Sutton you will work with Phil. He has his own methods so listen to him if you go there as he will be spending time and effort to coach you, not me, or anyone other dude on the net. The above is what I would have a new lifter do coming to me.

Koing

Hey Koing,

Sorry for the late reply mate, todays the first time i’ve been able to check the log and post up due to me revising for my pilot’s license.

your brothers a strong kid, very fast. Still haven’t managed to hit that ‘piss easy’ 100kg C&J yet…need to start making some attempts…although judging by your advice I haven’t been hitting 1 or 2 rep max’s enough. how longs he been lifting for?

Don’t PC? because they’re not necessary or does it affect Clean technique? I do them in place of power shrugs.

FS
Sn
CJ

• every session, always heavy or light then heavy.
    +strength work (pick one exercise) - rack pull, BS, Military Press etc

I contacted Sutton Weightlifting, to find out costs and any other information needed but i didn’t get a reply i also had to fly last Sunday so didn’t get a chance to go up to Sutton.
I read its £45 -yearly? - at Woking (1hr 15 away) - including 2 competitions.

Still Felt rough so had to take a few more days off after the 21st - i have videos of some heavy lifts, will post up tomorrow

24/05/2011 - I would say the first full day back no flu at all

Clean
Warm-up
Bar 3x10
40kg 2x6
60kg 1x4
70kg 1x3
80kg 5x3 - i think the rest did me good as the lifts felt easy

PC
77.5kg 3x6

Push Jerk
60kg 5x3

Behind the neck Snatch grip press
47.5kg 3x12

Vertical Jump
3x6

25/5/2011

Sn
Warm-up
Bar 3x10
40kg 2x6
50kg 5x6 - felt very heavy so the weight dropped by 7.5kg :frowning:

OHS
60kg 5x6

BS
80kg 4x10

Hypers
4x20

27/05/2011

BS
Warm-up
Bar 3x10
60kg 2x4
70kg 1x3
80kg 1x3
95kg 4x6

OHS
55kg 3x8

FS
75kg 3x8

RDL
72.5kg 4x10

28/05/2011

C&J
Warm-up
Bar 3x10
40kg 1x6
60kg 1x4
70kg 1x4
77.5kg 5x3 - comfortable, weights keep increasing each week.

Hang Clean
67.5kg 3x6

Behind the neck press with OHS
42.5kg 3x3+3

Split Squats
50kg 3x6

Military Press
52.5kg 3x6

Front raise, Partial shoulder press etc

31/05/2011

Clean
Warm-up
Bar 3x12
40kg 1x6
60kg 2x6
70kg 1x4
82.5kg 5x3

PC
80kg 3x6

Push Jerk
62.5kg 5x3

Behind the neck snatch grip press
50kg 3x12

Vertical jump
3x6

01/06/2011

Sn
Warm-up
Bar 3x12
40kg 1x4
50kg 1x4
55kg 5x6

OHS
62.5kg 5x6 - failed on the at the start of the last set but finished

BS
82.5kg 4x10

Hypers
4x20

Legs tomorrow, feeling strong and eating as much as i can so training’s going well.

Sorry about the essay guy’s, needed to catch up. Will post up the videos of my lifts soon as. Keep getting messages from a mate of mine, telling is PL max’s are going up…I can’t let him take all the glory (he know’s who he is the jester) so going to have to start training hard.

Take it easy, keep lifting.

02/06/2011

BS
Warm-up
Bar 2x6
60kg 1x6
70kg 1x3
80kg 1x3
97.5kg 4x6 - as i put the weights up each week i get pb’s but i was happy with this one. Felt alot easier than i thought it would.

OHS
57.5kg 3x8

FS
77.5kg 3x8

RDL
77.5kg 5x10 - Legs felt like jelly after these.

03/06/2011

Military press
Bar 3x20
50kg 2x12

Partial Shoulder Press
20kg 5x12-16

Cuban Press/Swing
10kg 4x12-14

Overhead face pull
28kg 6x12

Muscle Sn
Bar 3x10
30kg 3x10

Power Shurgs
80kg 1x12
90kg 1x10
120kg 4x8

Rest Day
Sprint training

05/06/2011

Was out last night with a few friends so only managed to get five and half hours sleep. TIRED!Legs were also aching after the sprint training, havent done much cardio recently so the DOMS was bad.

Sn
Warm-up
Bar 4x6
40kg 2x4
60kg 1x4
70kg 1,1,1,1
75kg 1,1,1,1 - Lifts felt okay even being so tired

Cleans
60kg 1x5
70kg 1x3
80kg 1,1,1,1
90kg 1,1,1 - struggled with these today, didnt feel as good. After taking Koing’s advice i’ve been doing more bar work for tekkers and speed.

FS
80kg 3x6
90kg 3x3
100kg 2x1,1,1

Here are some video of the Sn’s and cleans from today.

Clean video from 05/06/2011

looks pretty good to me. get a video with more weight. you’ll need to be faster catching it since the bar won’t go so high. this was practically a power clean

edit: also is this an olympic weightlifting barbell?

Thanks lordstorm, I won’t bore you with excuses :). my PB C&J is 95kg 4/5 wks ago, so we’ll see how heavier cleans go. Bearing in mind my Split Jerk PB is 120kg, the clean is lagging. Will post up some videos during this weeks training bud.

I was waiting for someone to notice, its an Ivanko powerlifting bar ;). There’s only one other guy in the gym Oly Lifting and he is a triathlete so doesn’t do much resistance work. I only have 10kg plates to play with and no platform, which is why i’ve been trying to find time to go to a proper Oly gym.

06/06/2011 - Woken 7:30 this morning, not enough sleep two nights in a row. Early to bed tonight me thinks.

Cleans
Warm-up
Bar 4x8
40kg 3x6
60kg 2x3
80kg 1x3
85kg 5x3 - my mate summed it up ‘you had a serious stress face on that one fella…’ Weight felt light so couldn’t work out what was going on.

Behind the Neck Jerks - TIRED!! Frustrating.
85kg 3x8
90kg 3x8
95kg 5x3 - Felt very nice (favourite part of the C&J, seemed to come naturally). Didn’t go too heavy today. The last time I went heavy, at 120kg some kid walked under the bar on his way to the bicep curl bench (no word of a lie). Went for 125kg PB and didnt see that the same kid had spilt some water, slipped and dropped the bar on my leg. Fortunately I fell side ways so it pushed my leg to the floor. Next day…MASSIVE Hematoma!

Sn tomorrow! :slight_smile:

Dips - With a Green Band, god knows what the resistance is.
5x8
(no band) 3x10

you definitely want an olympic lifting bar. Its so SO different.

If you are having trouble going under try some very high hang cleans. The higher the better IMO. Go as heavy as you can to learn going under the best. You should feel yourself PULLING yourself under the bar.

Careful with that leg. massive hematoma doesn’t sound good. If I had a hematoma that I would call massive I’d go straight to the doctor.

Next time scream at the kids not go near you.

Hey lordstorm, Due to it being a commercial gym, PLing and bodybuilding are king. Just today I walked into the gym to see that they’ve taken delivery of a 130-140kg tyre. A joke if you ask me. The triathlete (Mike) I was talking about earlier, is heading off to Loughborough uni soon. He has a bar and a platform, I believe he’s going to sell them to the gym which will be a start.

I’ll try these high hang cleans on Saturday, along with all the bar work I’ve been doing. Should I feel I’m pulling the bar upwards as I drop down?

This was a few months ago now, it covered my entire left thigh…should have taken pics. I have plenty of scars on me from missing lifts, whilst some old boy on a treadmill nearly gives himself a heart attack complaining at me for making to much noise, to not b0ll0ck people for doing idiotic things. Just have to laugh fella :slight_smile:

Today’s training

07/06/2011

Sn
Warm-up
Bar 4x10
40kg 2x6
57.5kg 5x6

OHS
65kg 5x6

BS
85kg 4x10

Hypers
4x20

Thoughts from today’s training.
A) after today’s squatting, I cant wait til Thursday’s 100kg 4x6 BS :slight_smile: doesn’t sound like much in comparison to some but it’s a big target for me.
B) when doing OHSquats, as I start getting tired I feel the weight drifting forward…is it my torso leaning forward or my weight moving onto my toes? Poor technique?
C) THE BIG Question is - why do the strength gains in PLing seem to be so much greater than in Oly lifting for a beginner/intermediate lifter? is it due to the fact that PLers can grind maximal lifts out where as oly lifters can’t? Or are there other reasons?

James

Bros technique is clinical to say the least. He’s been at it for 5yrs and has a lot of experience even though he is only 16. He’s done at least 25 competitions and has been British School boys champ every single year and now he is starting to get strong. He can FS 130kg @ 63.5kg bw and he doesn’t even squat heavy that often.

Sn looked really good imo, the bottom position wasn’t very deep but it looked very light for you. Was that 60kg? Looked really fast and sharp minust he not so deep bottom position.

Clean didn’t look as sharp as the Sn. Rode it down a lot but no real biggie. Load up on the bar and see how heavy you can go mate. Dont’ be scared to push the Sn as it looked really good imo. But you can’t drop weights in that gym?

Woking is £45 a year if you do 2 comps or help out at them. So setup etc. It’s run for not for profit and it’s to encourage more lifters. The £45 goes in to helping for the up keep of the clubs in getting more weights, chalk etc.

PM for Phil’s number.

OHS as you get tired = your hips come up too fast and your torso will lean forwards. This is what I typically do on all of my heavy Sn but it doesn’t matter too much I recover it.

The strength gains are less due to you working your legs all of the time. So when you OLift your squats will take a beating. in PL one of the 3 lifts doesn’t need any legs or about 5% of them if that in the BP to stablise, but wheres in OLifting your using your legs all of the time. You can’t just not squat as you need to pull it up. Your body isn’t use to the volume yet but once they are the strength gains will come, it just takes time. Also your probably doing way too many exercises in your training as well. Cut all of that BS out man. Or at least drop a few exercises down then after a years training you can have a much leaner exercise setup.

I say ditch the PC as you will never learn to be fast under the bar. You only do the PC when your fast under the bar, it’s a bad habit for a beginner to pick up. Anyone can pull big weights, but not everyone is fast enough to get under it.

Different coaches teach different things.

I would ditch the following:

OHS
Partial Shoulder Press
Cuban Press/Swing
Overhead face pull
Muscle Sn
Power Shurgs
Jerk behind neck
Sn for doubles and triples, not 5s man!

Your doing way way too much assistance work. This sport is about Snatching and Clean and Jerking. It’s not surprising your all smashed up your doing about 75% of your training on non relevant stuff imo. Keep to the fundamentals

FS
Sn
CJ
FS
some strength exercise of your choice
DONE

If you do that 3x a week your hitting the lifts with a SH!T TONNE OF FREQUENCY THAT YOU WOULD NEVER GET IN YOUR TRAINING AS IT IS. Your doing both lifts 3x a week. You will be fresher from not doing a tone of ill-relevant stuff.

Another coach will favor a different approach but thats fine, thats his idea and if he’ll coach you 3x a week you go follow him. He will be there for you.

Keep it up mate, you look good.

Koing

You should feel as if the bar stays at almost the same spot and you are pulling yourself really quick to get under it.

As for the exercizes, in my opinion there are only two reasons to do anything other than snatch, clean and jerk, and front/back squats. If they help you to learn the technique(although usually thats a snatch or c&j variation) or if they keep you from getting injured.

Hi Koing, thanks for the reply mate. Sorry its taken me a while, will type up the training log tomorrow.

Clinical to say the least pal, just goes to show what 5 years of hard training in the right environment can do. Impressive, we’ll see what he’s lifting in a few years. Starting to get strong? :slight_smile: 130kg FS @ 63.5kg is epic. I read a few articles at work earlier, which mentioned how having a big BS & FS doesn’t necessarily constitute a heavy Sn or C&J?

Thanks pal, felt good that day. It was 75kg, i’m going to have to start pushing the weight up more me thinks. Prefer the Sn to C&J, found it a lot harder initially so worked hard to get it right.

I know, thought it wasn’t as good. will stick on more weight tomorrow along with the Sn and see how it goes. My PR on Sn is 80kg so hopefully that 100Kg by the end of the year is looking closer. Going to take a photo of one of the signs to show you what i’m up against lol along with the standard ‘DO NOT DROP THE WEIGHTS’ Jesters!

Have wednesday off next week so will check it out. would be good to get two comps under my belt too.

Haven’t dropped an OHS as yet but the weight isn’t that heavy, only felt it drifting forward.

I dropped a lot of the exercises from friday’s training, going through the rest of the weeks finding exercises I can cut lose. The PC have gone too, will see how my speed increases without them.

I see what you mean about the assistance work. The logic behind it was, to sort out my weaknesses. I thought by doing only the competitive lifts my strengths increase slowly and the weak one’s stay weak. Curious as to what you think? Ok, looking at it as an outsider should i scrap the current program in exchange for

FS
Sn
CJ
FS
some strength exercise of your choice - Squats, DL’s, SLDL’s?

So would that be, 5 to 8 sets of 2 to 3 reps on every lift? Would definitely be fresher.

Thanks dude

@ Lordstorm - I tried it today (at the end of my workout with 95kg) and found myself catching the bar high still, like a PC, then dropping into a squat. I take it i need to increase the weight further. will let you know how i get on.

As i explained previously they’re strength work on my weaknesses. What do you think? continue if its working or?

Thanks for the replies.

James

Hey James,

Thanks alot for your post.

For what its worth you have inspired me to give the snatch lift a go. The only reason i checked out the Oly forum was because i screwed up my knee and back squating powerlift style and was using front squats as part of my rehab from surgery. Started watching the Oly lifters videos and got hooked so i have been front squatiing, cleaning, and push jerking. But i told myself the snatch is way to hard to learn at my age, until i saw your video.
Yeah your alot younger than me, but for not having done the lift very long, your form looks really good to me. Me being not an expert at all.

So on Monday i’m gonna start working on the snatch lift.

good luck with the 100/120!

lb

Hi LB,

Top man, it’s always good to hear someone else is going to start Oly lifting. Hope the rehabs coming along well and your recovery is quick. What made you hesitant to learn to Sn? Personally, the difficulty of the lifts is what drew me into training them. If they were easy, anyone would do them. Just take your time and get the basics right.

This forum and the guys who use it have a ridiculous knowledge, so try and make the most of it and the advice given. Although the one thing i’ve taken away from it is, try and find a coach, they’ll help you a lot more than any forum can. wish I had, would have moved my lifts along a lot faster.

Let me know how you get on mate, hope tomorrow goes well.

08/06/2011 - REST! :slight_smile:

09/06/2011

BS
Warm-up
Bar 2x12
60kg 2x6
80kg 1x4
90kg 1x3
100kg 4x6 - PB! Felt a lot easier than expected! Just goes to show, even if it takes along time, adding a little weight each week is working.

OHS
60kg 3x8

FS
80kg 3x8 - Found the weight to be easy for 8 reps. :slight_smile:

RDL
80kg 4x10

10/06/2011

Cleans
Warm-up
Bar 3x6
60kg 2x3
82.5kg 5x3 - tried to pull myself under the bar instead of basically PC then dropping into a squat.

Behind the neck Jerk
90kg 6x5 - Comfortable, will start ramping the weight up. The only difficulty was losing my grip due to sweat.

Military Press
55kg 3x6

11/06/2011

FS
Warm-up
Bar 3x6
60kg 2x4
80kg 2x4
90kg 2x4
100kg 3x3
105kg 2x3

Sn
Bar 2x6
40kg 1x6
60kg 2x3
70kg 1x2 - Remembered when i really struggled to lift this weigh, happy with the progress.
75kg 3x3 - felt like a power Sn so dropped the weight to get the technique.
70kg 1x3 - back on track
80kg 1,1,1x - really strong even though i felt tired. Took the advice and wanted to push the Sn. lifted my PB Sn 2x :slight_smile: smiling like a cheshire cat the entire time… then ripped a calus on one of my fingers… GAME OVER! Had to stop, so frustrating.

FS
stuck a plaster on, couldnt rest the bar on my finger.
60kg 1x4
80kg 2x3
90kg 1x4
100kg 2x3,2 - had to walk out, pi55ed off with it!

fingers all but healed now, Cleans tomorrow. Will ramp the weight up and post some videos.

James