T Nation

Josgood's Beginner Oly Log

I had a 5 x 5 log going but it quickly turned into an Olympic lifting program after I read Thib’s Black Book. My numbers are pretty pathetic in the Oly lifts, due to a probable combination of poor technique, postural issues, and lack of explosive power. However, I really enjoy the lifts and I’m having more fun in the gym than ever. I just finished the first day of week four.

Today’s session(snatch emphasis)

Power Snatch from Hang: 75 x 3, 95 x 3, 105 x 3
Snatch grip Deadlift: 135 x 3, 185 x 3 x 2
Overhead Squat: 65 x 5, 75 x 5, 85 x 5 x 2
Overhead Shrug: 115 x 5 x 2, 135 x 5 x 2
DB Cuban Press: 8’s x 15 x 2

Pretty happy with today’s training. Believe it or not, these are good numbers for me. The OH squat is by far my worst lift, but it’s getting better and has done wonders for my lower back health. One of my goals for this three month program is to snatch 135 for reps. Today I got one step closer. Really looking forward to training the jerk tomorrow.

Week 4 - Day 2(jerk emphasis)
Push Jerk: 135 x 3, 155 x 3, 165 x 3
Bradford Press: 95 x 5 x 4
Weighted Jump Squat onto low box: 65 x 5 x 2
Empty Bar Jump Squat: 45 x 6 x 4
Ab pulldowns: 85 x 10, 105 x 8-10 x 2

Pretty pleased with this workout overall. 165 felt really heavy on the last rep of push jerks, but I also didn’t drop under the bar enough. The first couple sets of Bradford presses were pretty easy, but I started cheating just a little with my legs on the last reps of sets 3 and 4. Looking forward to a day off tomorrow and then hitting the clean hard on Saturday.

Week Four-Day Three(clean emphasis)
Powerclean from pins: 135 x 3, 155 x 3, 165 x 1, 135 x 3
Clean grip deadlift: 135 x 3, 225 x 3, 245 x 3
Muscle cleans: 95 x 5, 105 x 3, 105 x 3

This was not the training I was hoping for today. The powercleans went realy well with 135 and 155, but I only managed one decent single at 165. The last three at 135 flew up and I think my failure at the heavier weight can be corrected with better technique.

Deadlifts were pretty speedy today and the hook grip helped my small hands hold onto the bar. By the time the muscle cleans came my shoulders were wiped out and my grip started to fail. I wanted to get 105 for a couple sets of five but couldn’t make it happen. Really looking forward to a change of pace next week.

I didn’t get much training in this weekend. I had planned to do some basic stuff like row, bench, and squat on Friday or Saturday. My shoulders were feeling beat up, though(in a bad way) and I had to put in extra time at work.

Therefore, I just did some light band work on Saturday, emphasizing pre-hab movements for the shoulders and upper back(facepulls, external rotations, etc.). I also did a few sets of pistols on a swiss ball for leg work, making sure to do a few extra reps on my weak right leg. That was it for the weekend. Gearing up for the first session of phase 2 right now.

Week Five-Day One(snatch emphasis)

1/2 squat snatch from floor: 95 x 4, 105 x 4, 115 x 3,
115 x 1, 115 fail, 115 x 1
Snatch grip high pulls: 115 x 4 x 2, 115 x 3
Drop snatch: 45 x 5, 65 x 4, 85 x 4
Slow speed snatch: 45 x 3 x 3

This was kind of a crap session. I wasn’t getting nearly low enough under the bar, almost doing a power snatch. This burned me out quickly and I got tired really fast. I was hoping for 2 sets of 3 at 115, but couldn’t drop low enough after the first set, which I sloppily powered through. I’ll probably drop a little weight next week and focus on form. The slow speed snatches were ok.

Week Five-Day One(jerk emphasis)

Split Jerk: 135 x 4, 145 x 4, 155 x 3, 165 x 3
Push Press: 115 x 4 x 2, 125 x 3, 135 x 3
1/4 Front Squat onto high box: 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 245 x 5
Unloaded High Box Jumps: 4 x 4-5

Better session than yesterday. I’m not really sure if I’m going to be much stronger doing the split jerks vs. the Dimas-style push jerk but we’'l try it out for a few weeks and see. The push presses went really well and 135 was pretty easy for three. The 1/4 front squats were supposed to be from pins but some jackass using way too much weight and shitty form was hogging the rack(yes there’s only one power rack in the huge 24 Hour Fitness I belong to). They were still tough, though, especially on my abs. I may start using box jumps at the beginning of this workout as a way to “wake up” the CNS.

Week Five-Day Three

1/2 squat clean from floor: 135 x 4, 155 x 2
Back Squat: 135 x 6, 185 x 5, 225 x 2
Pullups: BW x 5

This was the worst training day I’ve had in a long time. My shoulders and wrists were barking like crazy, even during the warmup complexes that I do before every session. Plus, my body as a whole just felt run down and weak. The cleans hurt too much to keep going, especially in my left wrist, so I decided to try some squats(not a part of my plan for the day). The weight felt way too heavy for what it was and after 225 I decided to call it a day. The pullups were thrown in just as a half-ass gesture on the way out. I think I’m going to have to cut back my focus on oly lifting for a couple weeks to give my brittle joints time to recover. I’ll probably start another thread on block training, since I always seem to jump into something new every month or two.

Jos - I was googling our gym and came across your search for a kansas city place. Feel free to call if youre still looking.

Ben
1-0-7 Barbell Founder