Jordan Peterson's Clinical Psychology License Under Threat

I used to be in development (left last year after 10 years) and get his point and the reality of it. He’s just presents it terribly.

I also despise most city planners for their utopian beliefs.

3 Likes

I don’t know enough about the Crowder/Daily Wire feud to have a strong opinion either way. I think a little rivalry is good for conservatives in general. Hopefully they will push each other to put out better and better content.

Crowder is probably my favorite political comedian of all time. Of course it helps having so much real life absurdity to work with.

1 Like

SO TRUE.

1 Like

I’m biased against people who record conversations with “friends” w/o permission.

(Different worlds, but remember the dude who recorded Luke Stoltman’s conversation with him to use against a rival strongman promoter group? Unlike Crowder, he was a nobody, so no one took his side lol.)

Anyway, there’s Crowder bitchin’ and moanin’ about his slave contract, throwing a tantrum, and then there’s how adults conduct business dealings/negotiations:

3 Likes

It’s not really a feud about who has the better content, etc. That sort of thing would be healthy. It’s mostly just namecalling, which is much less helpful.

I think Crowder makes a fair point that making compensation dependent on not getting banned on other platforms does undermine the idea of making an alternate platform. It also makes a big difference if the $30 or $50 million is Crowder’s take home pay or a budget that he is given to run his own production with an entire team and other costs. That’s of course just a money discussion, but it does provide some context.

All of that said, Crowder’s behavior is way out of line. The above are issues that adults can have disagreements and negotiations about. They don’t justify burning the house down scorched earth style. And the fact that he doesn’t seem to have really made serious counteroffers or presented an alternate method for dealing with the fact that a lot of revenue is still coming through social media platforms, raises the perception that he was never really negotiating in good faith (or lives in fairy-tale land. Even if more money isn’t important to you personally, it’s still the grease that keeps a company running and able to make content and influence the discussion).

I have watched Crowder some but it makes me uncomfortable the way that he tries to blend irreverent, trolling-style comedy with supposedly serious commentary. (Is he Ryan Long or Ben Shapiro?) I actually consume both of those things, but Crowder needs to pick a lane. Or at least make it clear when he is changing lanes. It can be enlightening to hear serious conversation from comedians and it’s nice to see serious commentators show that they have a light-hearted side.

But being too free with blending the two is obnoxious to me because it leads to a sort of motte and bailey style where you claim things are serious until someone points out flaws and then it was all just a joke. The left does this a lot and I don’t like it on the right any better.

2 Likes

Your whole perspective is completely fair. Incidentally, it seems like the thing that makes you uncomfortable is what I find weirdly comforting. I subscribe to a few DW podcasters, but don’t press play very consistently because, after a while, it’s depressing or worrisome. They present legitimate concerns, but not enough levity to balance it out for me.

Crowder’s humor can be bombastic at times, and I don’t agree with everything he says, but the fact that he can get a point across that’s deeply concerning, and then make me laugh, is why I tune in more often to his stuff. I’m not a diehard every day listener to anything political though.

I’d love to hear what podcasts you (and other people in our T Nation community) follow or subscribe to.

1 Like

Very fitting.

1 Like

The only political podcast that I consistently listen to is Ben Shapiro.

I also listen to NPR whenever I’m driving.

I will catch clips of Tim Pool on YouTube pretty regularly, but don’t ever listen to his whole thing. It ends up feeling too slow paced and un-focused for me.

I watch pretty much every skit that Ryan Long creates, but I don’t really feel like I need his podcasts. His man on the street is peak comedy, though.

I also watch some content from Matt Walsh, but don’t often seek out his stuff.

I have enjoyed content from Jordan Peterson, but feel that his strength is more in philosophy and theory rather than current events commentary. That makes it something that is more timeless and thus not something that I feel I need to keep up with.

One of the things that makes me uncomfortable is the feeling that I am in an echo chamber. While Ben Shapiro is clearly aware of who his audience is and is obviously and admittedly biased, he present information and commentary in a way that feels like it’s intended to stand up to critical scrutiny. Crowder’s mix of commentary and comedy gives me the feeling that it’s intended to be heard in an echo chamber by people who don’t want to think deeply about it or consider counterpoints. I get a similar feeling from Michael Knowles. It’s more this feeling that makes me uneasy about Crowder rather than simply it’s bombastic nature. It’s the idea that I should be laughing, but also those people are actually evil.

1 Like

I like Rogan (who doesn’t?), but not every episode. I’ll filter through them and find ones I think will be interesting.

Both of his Elon Musk episodes are 10/10, and all the ones with Alex Jones are worth a listen (makes you see the man behind the memes a bit more clearly I think).

I used to listen to the Stuff You Should Know podcast - some good stuff there. They were just getting a bit too political (maybe it was just my impression of that), but they for SURE don’t lean right. Some very interesting episodes though.

1 Like

Relavent

1 Like

Same and same. Really loved the ones with Adam Curry and Andrew Huberman. Even when his guests are casually talking about stuff that’ll never apply to me, it’s quite often still enjoyable.

I listened to a couple Stuff you Should Know episodes and you’re right, hit or miss. I can’t recommend Sword and Scale enough. It’s my favorite in the true crime genre. Rubin Report, The Way I Heard it with Mike Rowe, No Stupid Questions, and Were You Raised By Wolves are some of my go-to shows.

1 Like

TBH I wish he would run for president. I never donate to political campaigns, but I would change that habit if he’d run.

2 Likes

I’ve actually thought this exact same thing before.

1 Like

I like this guy. He is the muscular philosopher / neuroscientist.

1 Like

I love this podcast!

Any of y’all ever listen to Dan Cummins “time suck” podcast? It’s awesome

1 Like

Ooh I’ll have to look that up! Thanks for the recommendation.

He has his own app you can download that has the whole library and is updated in real time.

1 Like

When he gives a lesson on something, I always regret not having a pen and notebook handy. The guy is pretty brilliant.

1 Like

Agree. Shapiro is the only guy I listen to semi-regularly. As someone who thinks objectivity is paramount, I feel like the other guys often just toss shite out there because they know their audience will lap it up; plus I hate the stupid click bait headlines that make mountains out of every molehill.

Confession -Fox news is the only “news” channel programs I watch; not Hannity or Ingraham who both fit the too biased camp; plus Hannity is like the used car salesman who got lucky just Being There (movie reference). Watters is a little too biased, but I think he’s funny as hell. Gutfeld is super smart, and I started watching his show because the fact he beats out every late night comedy/talk show host from all the woke channels just cracks me up to no end.

2 Likes

That’s the problem with Shapiro. He seeks to create winning arguments more than seeking the truth. The whole facts over feelings is uneducated as we do have feelings and they do matter. Also, since he is religious, he isn’t all about facts as religious belief, faith, is all about feelings. He also came off as a weirdo reading the lyrics to WAP. The song isn’t shocking to anyone who’s listened to pop music the last 50 years.

I don’t get the whole change my mind thing. One could just as easily say the same to him and he lacks the intelligence and education to form an argument that would change the mind of anyone who is beyond their freshman year of college. I’ve read some of his supposedly insightful arguments and they showed just how uninformed he really is.

2 Likes