Jon's Training Log

Hey guys,

I need to start this log so I can stay accountable and also get input on things I need to do differently or just any encouragement I can get.

Papa Nick and I are great friends and I want to follow his workout so this will be similar to his training log only I am much weaker and skinnier ahaha. I am 5’8 158 lbs as of this morning. I will post pics when I get home and update this original post if I get my numbers for the first 2 days wrong because I am going off of strictly memory.

So I have been working out for about 2 weeks straight now and am ready to start going heavier now.

Here is what I did for Monday:

Barbell benches:
Warmup = Bar only x 12 reps
135x5, 155x5, 165x5, 175x4 (note: I tried 175 last week and almost didn’t get 3 reps so I improved.)

Incline Flys:

40x6, 45x6, 50x6, 55x6, 60x4 (Note: I am not sure I am doing these right. I may need to get on youtube and see how the correct form is when doing these.)

Seated DB Press:

30x6, 35x6, 40x6, 45x6, 50x6, 55x6 ( I plan on starting a bit heavier and going from there. It didn’t get tough until I hit 50’s to be honest.)

Lateral Raises:

20x8 for 4 sets. I am going to try to up this to 25lbs but again I need to make sure my form is right.

Skull Crushers (I can’t do these right now because they hurt my right elbow. This comes and goes so when it goes I will be going back to these because when I used to workout I loved these. I substituted tricep pull downs)

100x12 - warm up
130x6, 140x6, 150x6, 160x6, 170x6, 180x4 (I was using the triangle for these)

Machine Dips (I was supposed to do Rope Pulley Overhead Ext but I got mixed up)

Full weightX8 4 sets. (Note: I forget exactly what the all the weight equates to but I think it is like 255lbs. Instead of doing these I need to get belt that holds weights and do dips the regular way.)

Abs…I haven’t done abs yet but I need to. I think I may start off with abs so I get them out of the way.

I will get the numbers exactly right when I get home and I will include yesterdays workout as well. I feel like I could be working out harder, but I am also worried about hurting myself in the long run like my father. He worked out hard for about 10 years and now he has to torn up rotater(sp?) cuffs. I don’t want to turn into that person and would rather be able to workout for a long time so I will be listening to my body very carefully.

My goals are to be 170-175lbs lean by the time my birthday comes around which is June 10th. I will be sticking to Papa Nicks diet as best I can with my own little modifications in there. However I do play basketball a couple times a week so the weight will be a little harder for me to put on I imagine. I will also be doing plyometrics 3 times a week to help with explosiveness and quickness because I am tired of being slow on the court.

I am pretty excited to see how I do and any advice or criticism is very much appreciated. I can only go up from here!

Plyometrics 3 times a week - you are going to get hurt faster than you can get down the court. I would probably only do plyometrics once a week at most right now. Usually it is advised to not do plyos until your ligaments/tendons/joints have adapted to high load weightlifting. Believe it or not, plyos put a tremendous strain on ligaments and tendons.

The MAX amount of plyos I have ever heard recommended is 3 sessions per week, but even that was a split between upper, lower, and total. I think when you start lifting heavy, especially squats, you will be pleasantly surprised how much quicker you get on the court, without the addition of any plyos.

[quote]Sanitarium wrote:
Plyometrics 3 times a week - you are going to get hurt faster than you can get down the court. I would probably only do plyometrics once a week at most right now. Usually it is advised to not do plyos until your ligaments/tendons/joints have adapted to high load weightlifting. Believe it or not, plyos put a tremendous strain on ligaments and tendons.

The MAX amount of plyos I have ever heard recommended is 3 sessions per week, but even that was a split between upper, lower, and total. I think when you start lifting heavy, especially squats, you will be pleasantly surprised how much quicker you get on the court, without the addition of any plyos.[/quote]

When I was playing ball in highschool I did a plyo routine called Air Alert. It called for 5 days a week, but of course I was younger then and could take more of a beating.

I will definitely take your advice and just stick to one day a week with the plyo. I appreciate the advice and that is exactly the kind of stuff I need to keep me in line!

Sweet action Jon.
Let the poundage begin!

Guess the photobucket pics didn’t work.

Another

Back

flexed back

Day 2:
Day 2:

Deadlift:

Warm up - bar x 12
135x6, 155x6, 185x6, 205x6 (note: I started out a bit light and will go a little heavier next time).

Leg Press:

Warm up - 45lb plate each side x 10
2 45’s each side x 6
3 45’s each side x 6
4 45’s each side x 6

Leg curls:

165x8x4 sets (done on a machine)

Dumbbell bent over rows:

70x8
85x6
100x6
105x6 (this was tough and I think my form was failing a bit)

Barbell Curls:

75x6
85x6
95x6
105x5 (the wife spotted me on the 5th rep)

Seated alternating dumbbell curls:

45x6x3 sets (ran out of time and had to super set with calf raises)

Calf raises:

2 45’s each side x 8 (Hammer strength type machine)

I wanted to do hammer curls, reverse curls, wrist curls, and lat pull downs but I had a meeting I had to be at. Is that too much for arms and back if I did all that stuff?

All 4 of those exercises for bi’s? might be a bit much if you are hitting it twice a week. But thats just me.

[quote]jon2523 wrote:

[quote]Sanitarium wrote:

The MAX amount of plyos I have ever heard recommended is 3 sessions per week, but even that was a split between upper, lower, and total. I think when you start lifting heavy, especially squats, you will be pleasantly surprised how much quicker you get on the court, without the addition of any plyos.[/quote]

When I was playing ball in highschool I did a plyo routine called Air Alert. It called for 5 days a week, but of course I was younger then and could take more of a beating.

I will definitely take your advice and just stick to one day a week with the plyo. I appreciate the advice and that is exactly the kind of stuff I need to keep me in line!
[/quote]

No problem man. If you are going to do one day of plyos, I think Louie Simmons and Dave Tate recommend doing it the day before heavy squatting (or whatever lower body exercise) so that you won’t have any DOMS get in the way of the plyos.

As far as the bis, I think your volume is fine. If you think about it, no other exercise uses the bis as the primary mover, so why not fry them when you do them. Some may say they will affect your rowing numbers if they are tired, but I think it’s better to row with tired biceps as it forces you to use your back rather than your arms for the lift. Shit looks good man keep it up. Check out my log if you get the time: Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness

[quote]Papa Nick wrote:
All 4 of those exercises for bi’s? might be a bit much if you are hitting it twice a week. But thats just me.[/quote]

You don’t know anything! Seriously though, I do want to do reverse curls and wrist curls twice a week because my forearms are small (well so are my arms but comparatively they are smaller by a lot I think).

[quote]jon2523 wrote:

[quote]Papa Nick wrote:
All 4 of those exercises for bi’s? might be a bit much if you are hitting it twice a week. But thats just me.[/quote]

You don’t know anything! Seriously though, I do want to do reverse curls and wrist curls twice a week because my forearms are small (well so are my arms but comparatively they are smaller by a lot I think).[/quote]

Bigger deadlift = bigger forearms :slight_smile:

^

True

Also if you are doing individual bodyparts each day, train triceps alone one day and biceps alone one day. They’ll grow.

Just my 2cents.

[quote]JonEightPackGuy wrote:
^

True

Also if you are doing individual bodyparts each day, train triceps alone one day and biceps alone one day. They’ll grow.

Just my 2cents.[/quote]

Everyone in here is huge compared to me so I will go ahead and listen to the group ahahaha.

I really appreciate the advice gents.

Best advice is learn what exercises your body responds to, what foods give you the most energy for your workouts, what you can eat to slowly grow without packing on fat poundage.

Search youtube Greg Valentino Expelling the Myths

Watch it and listen to his sound advice. I swear by that video.

Good luck man just stick to it, anything you want you can definitely achieve. Just takes time patience and persistence.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice Jon. I will have a look at that vid when I have some time.

Here is what I did tonight:

Day 4
Chest, Shoulders, Tri’s:

Incline DB bench:

55x6(too easy), 65x6, 70x6, 75x6 (had a someone spot me on the 6th) Note: I think I want to start with 70’s next time after I warm up appropriately.

Decline Fly:

40x6, 40x6, 45x6. Note: 45’s is good weight. I am just on the brink of losing my form but I am able to maintain it.

Standing BB Press:

75x6(too easy), 95x6, 115x6, 105x6. Note: 115lbs was very tough and I almost didn’t get it. I will go for 110 next time.

Upright Rows:

75x6, 85x6, 85x6

Weighted bench dips:

3 45’sx8. I needed someone to put the weight on me so I was only able to do 2 sets. I could do 4 45lb plates if I had someone to help put them on me.

Decline Tricep Ext:

70x8, 85x6, 90x4. I can’t do regular skull crushers on a flat bench because it hurts my elbow, but I can do them on a decline bench which I found out tonight and that is exciting.

I need to eat more than I am though, but I get so busy during the day that it is hard to find the time. I am working about 120 hours a pay period so I am pretty swamped. I had 3 peanut butter sandwiches today (peanut butter on each slice (2g protein each slice), 6 slices total), 3 eggs mixed with 3 scoops whey protein (each scoop 23 g protein), cliff bar (11 g protein), Chicken teriyaki with rice (carryout from last night), and 5 eggs before I go to bed.

I think a rough estimate of protein I am getting is around 200g. Do I need to be taking in more each day I workout?

Day 4: Legs, Back, Bi’s

Squats: Smith Machine

Warmup with bar x 15 reps
135x6, 185x6, 205x6, 225x6

RDL

135x6, 185x6, 205x6, 215x6

Lat Pull downs

250x6, 165x6, 180x6, 195x4

Hammer Strength single arm row

90x6, 100x8, 125x6. Note: Need 3 45lb plates for these.

Hammer Curls

55x6, 65x6, 70x5, 65x6. Note: I need to focus on form with these and I am sure I was going too heavy.

Reverse Curl/Wrist Curl (superset)

75x6/115x6, 75x6/115x6, 85x7/115x9

Seated Calf raises

95x10x4 sets.

All in all I felt good tonight but I need to change my form on the hammer curls. I think I am cheating on them and that is why I am at the 65lb dumbells right now. I will be focusing strictly on form next week and the strength will come. Everything else I had good form on as far as I could tell.

Lets see those other workouts.

I forgot to put my last two workouts from Monday and Tuesday. Here they are:

Chest, Shoulders, Tri’s:

BB Bench:

135x8 warm up
155x6, 165x6, 175x6 (I improved a little bit because the last BB Bench I only got 4 reps of 175lbs).

Incline Flys:

45x6x3

Seated DB Press:

55x6, 55x5, 55x4.

Lateral Raises:

25x6x3

Decline Tricep Ext:

70x10 warm up
90x6, 95x6, 105x6, 105x4 (did 6 reps on the last set but needed help on the 5th and 6th reps)

Rope Pulley Tri Ext: Had to use the Triangle because the rope wasn’t available.

130x6x3

Legs, Back, Bi’s: I had about 30 minutes to workout so I was rushed and didn’t get in what I wanted to.

Dead Lifts (Sumo style):

135x8 warm up

185x6, 225x6, 245x5 (My grip is failing but my straps are old so maybe new straps?)

Single Arm DB Bent Over Rows:

100x3x6

BB Curls:

75x8 warm up

95x6, 105x6, 105x6.

That was all I was able to get in but I wanted to be in there for another hour or so because my body wanted to keep going. I will be incoporating Power Cleans into my legs routine because I want to do some fast twitch stuff.

Today is my off day so I may do some light plyometrics today and some complexes as well.