T Nation

Jones vs. Calzaghe

Thoughts?

I’m really looking forward to this fight.

I like Jones, but I don’t think he’ll be able to handle Calzaghe’s speed. But, Jones does seem to be in great shape coming into this fight, so we’ll see if he can duplicate what Hopkins did to Pavlik.

Heck, if he can do what Hopkins did to Joe and just land a few more punches, he could very well win the fight.

RJJR FTW

Like everyone else I’d like to see RJJ show up as his former self but I think Calzaghe takes it

Calzaghe by unanimous decision.

Would like to see calzaghe stop RJJ for the sake of recognition even though I do like RJJ and his style. I feel calzaghe is underrated.

OMC

I like Joe to win. Then again, I’m Welsh.

Roy will prove the naysayers wrong.

I am a RJJr fan myself. But, what are the odds men saying?

I think a win for Calzaghe is likely (RJJ is not Hopkins) but the odds are so massively against Roy that I might put a bet on.

Well, here’s my feeling.

Everyone knows I think Calzaghe is overrated. I still think that fighting three big fighters doesn’t make you have a career, and it certainly doesn’t give him a right to say all of this, “Greatest of all time” bullshit. He’s not even close. He’s made a career out of fighting European bums.

RJJ is a legend. He had his rough spots, but when he fought Tito in January he looked like the Roy of old. He knows his career is on the line with every fight, and he’s comin out bangin.

Calslappy will have his normal high workrate, yes, but RJJ, going by the Tito fight, has his speed, power, and stamina back on track. Mix that with the hunger he’s got, and I’m looking for a UD where Jones puts down Calzaghe at least once, maybe twice.

If he catches him with the right shot, look for a KO in the very late rounds.

Y’all musta forgot…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Y’all musta forgot…[/quote]

HAHAAAA good one FI

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Well, here’s my feeling.

Everyone knows I think Calzaghe is overrated. I still think that fighting three big fighters doesn’t make you have a career, and it certainly doesn’t give him a right to say all of this, “Greatest of all time” bullshit. He’s not even close. He’s made a career out of fighting European bums.

RJJ is a legend. He had his rough spots, but when he fought Tito in January he looked like the Roy of old. He knows his career is on the line with every fight, and he’s comin out bangin.

Calslappy will have his normal high workrate, yes, but RJJ, going by the Tito fight, has his speed, power, and stamina back on track. Mix that with the hunger he’s got, and I’m looking for a UD where Jones puts down Calzaghe at least once, maybe twice.

If he catches him with the right shot, look for a KO in the very late rounds.

Y’all musta forgot…[/quote]

What a great way to hate on Calzaghe’s accomplishments.

What you said has been stated before(by others) and yet every time Calzaghe wins, come on mate give the man his due.

EDIT: i do like Jones, i’m not saying he should be underestimated…he is one of the best fighters from back in the day.

[quote]Shire wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Well, here’s my feeling.

Everyone knows I think Calzaghe is overrated. I still think that fighting three big fighters doesn’t make you have a career, and it certainly doesn’t give him a right to say all of this, “Greatest of all time” bullshit. He’s not even close. He’s made a career out of fighting European bums.

RJJ is a legend. He had his rough spots, but when he fought Tito in January he looked like the Roy of old. He knows his career is on the line with every fight, and he’s comin out bangin.

Calslappy will have his normal high workrate, yes, but RJJ, going by the Tito fight, has his speed, power, and stamina back on track. Mix that with the hunger he’s got, and I’m looking for a UD where Jones puts down Calzaghe at least once, maybe twice.

If he catches him with the right shot, look for a KO in the very late rounds.

Y’all musta forgot…

What a great way to hate on Calzaghe’s accomplishments.

What you said has been stated before(by others) and yet every time Calzaghe wins, come on mate give the man his due.

EDIT: i do like Jones, i’m not saying he should be underestimated…he is one of the best fighters from back in the day.[/quote]

I’ve given him his dues. He’s a good fighter. But show me the real competition aside from Kessler, Lacy, and Hopkins (who damn near beat him, and some say he did).

You’re not called the best of all time by beating candle makers and bartenders. Is he good? Yes, of course. And if he had a resume like Hopkins that included Winky Wright, Jermain Taylor, RJJ, Tarver, De La Hoya, Trinidad, and his recent demolition of Kelly Pavlik, then I couldn’t help but list him among the greats.

But he doesn’t, and so he’s not.

And I’m not biased against English fighters, either- my favorite boxer right now is Ricky Hatton. But I’m not afraid of calling a spade a spade.

If Joe wins tonight, it will be because Roy is just shot. I don’t think he is, but that’s what it could be. If you had put Roy in from 1995-2002, and placed him in the ring with Calzaghe, it’s a massacre.

Joe wants to go out having fought mostly bums and fading legends, that’s his prerogative. But don’t expect to have people saying you’re up there with Sugar Ray Robinson.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
I’m really looking forward to this fight.

I like Jones, but I don’t think he’ll be able to handle Calzaghe’s speed. But, Jones does seem to be in great shape coming into this fight, so we’ll see if he can duplicate what Hopkins did to Pavlik.

Heck, if he can do what Hopkins did to Joe and just land a few more punches, he could very well win the fight.[/quote]

jones… is all speed brotha

calzage will be the one trying to keep up.

jones via convincing knockout in the 8th

RJJ whataatatatatatattataaaatt

[quote]OMC wrote:
Calzaghe by unanimous decision.

Would like to see calzaghe stop RJJ for the sake of recognition even though I do like RJJ and his style. I feel calzaghe is underrated.

OMC[/quote]

hes undefeated and beat hopkins… how underrated can he be

who won?

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
who won?
[/quote]

If you didn’t see the fight, Calzaghe won a lopsided decision. He had to get off the deck to do it, but once he established himself, it was a one-sided fight.

Yet again, this farce exemplifies all that is wrong with boxing. This is a matchup that should have happened years ago. De la Hoya-Pacquiao is the next high-dollar turd that will be foisted upon the public.

Credit to Calzaghe, he did what he had to do, but RJJ is a shot shell of his former self.

Well, aside from the Round 1 knockdown by Jones, that went just about the way I expected it to.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Shire wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

I’ve given him his dues. He’s a good fighter. But show me the real competition aside from Kessler, Lacy, and Hopkins (who damn near beat him, and some say he did).

You’re not called the best of all time by beating candle makers and bartenders. Is he good? Yes, of course. And if he had a resume like Hopkins that included Winky Wright, Jermain Taylor, RJJ, Tarver, De La Hoya, Trinidad, and his recent demolition of Kelly Pavlik, then I couldn’t help but list him among the greats.

But he doesn’t, and so he’s not.

And I’m not biased against English fighters, either- my favorite boxer right now is Ricky Hatton. But I’m not afraid of calling a spade a spade.

If Joe wins tonight, it will be because Roy is just shot. I don’t think he is, but that’s what it could be. If you had put Roy in from 1995-2002, and placed him in the ring with Calzaghe, it’s a massacre.

Joe wants to go out having fought mostly bums and fading legends, that’s his prerogative. But don’t expect to have people saying you’re up there with Sugar Ray Robinson.[/quote]

Well i do have a dvd with Sugar Ray Leonard saying that Calzaghe is the best fighter in his division right now.

Sugar Ray Robinson i know is regarded as one of(if not) the greatest fighters of all time.
But you know how these things are so subjective and debatable :wink: when it comes to rating the greatest fighters.

At the end of the day Calzaghe did get awarded the win against Hopkins, its all well and good ‘some’ say he lost. However that holds no [i]real[i/] weight.

I have to say i’ve never seen him on tv say he’s the greatest of all time if that’s true, then i disagree with him. But in his division he is the best of the best(of his time).

Boxing as i’m sure you know is all about money and if a fighter loses one fight it can potentially end a otherwise fruitful career. Its a bloody shame.

I did read in a couple of UK newspapers that a fair few fighters won’t agree to fight Calzaghe…I wonder why?(i know i should know names).

Its okay i didn’t assume you had a bias against the UK fighters, TBH i didn’t like Mayweather at first(i believed the BS media reports about his escapades). But i have to say he is my favourite fighter alongside Calzaghe now.

Also i enjoyed watching the Olympic Gold final this year…Roberto Cammarelle of Italy is a bit of a beast.

Anyway i guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Y’all musta forgot…[/quote]

i just spit post workout shake on my laptop screen you sonovabitch