Jones - Sonnen

My gosh, Jones was lucky the ref stopped the fight @ 4:33 in the first round.
I cant imagine him going on with that toe for another round.

[quote]Quiet Warrior wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, that toe was brutal. But even if the ref had given Chael a little longer to get beaten down before he called it, the fight was not going into the second round. Chael was not getting out of that position and Jones would have just kept smashing him. There is no ref in MMA that is going to let a fighter get smashed for over 30 seconds straight and not stop the fight.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:
Jim Miller, Pat Healy, what a fight!
[/quote]

Yeah, great show of heart and conditioning on Healy’s part. And great back and forth for most of the fight.

[quote]
Couldn’t see the Jones/Sonnen fight go any other way. Who has the best chance to beat Jones? I’d like to see Daniel Cormier drop to LHW.[/quote]

Well, I could have seen Jones winning other ways, but didn’t see Sonnen winning.

I’m not convinced Cormier has the answer to the puzzle of beating Jones. He did not impress me in any of the necessary skill sets needed to beat Jones in his win over Mir. That said, it was his first fight in the UFC, and he may have simply been suffering from an adrenaline dump due to being in the “big show”. So, i’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and wait to see him fight again before I make up my mind fully.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Quiet Warrior wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, that toe was brutal. But even if the ref had given Chael a little longer to get beaten down before he called it, the fight was not going into the second round. Chael was not getting out of that position and Jones would have just kept smashing him. There is no ref in MMA that is going to let a fighter get smashed for over 30 seconds straight and not stop the fight.[/quote]

Agreed, had the ref not stopped it there, he wouldve been forced to stop it moments later.

No mention of Roy Nelson yet, curious as to what everyone thinks his potential is. Sure he needs to fight a top 5 guy like DC, JDS, or Big Foot to REALLY prove himself but i am seriously impressed with him as of late.

I dont want to say he’s gonna be the UFC champ some day but i certainly believe he’s capable of it. He’s proven that he can KO anyo HW in the world, can take shots from the hardest hitters, and his grappling is superb. He’s actually very well-rounded. And while he was soundly out-boxed by JDS in their first matchup, his striking has come far since then, hes begun to use more combos and feints, and he has become shockingly accurate with that right hand of his. His timing is just impeccable when throwing that overhand.

Cant help but cheer for the guy no matter who he’s fighting, i hope they give him DC or JDS next. I think he’s got what it takes to knock either guy off.

Hell, im even pretty interested in seeing a match between him and Cain in the future, if he can manage to keep that one on the feet for any lengthy period of time, i think Cain takes a nap.

6 UFC wins, 6 UFC knockouts. I think its pretty likely that Nelson would be the favorite in a rematch with Mir, however i think Verdum still poses an interesting style matchup for Nelson. Either way, lot of good potential fights for this guy.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:
No mention of Roy Nelson yet, curious as to what everyone thinks his potential is. Sure he needs to fight a top 5 guy like DC, JDS, or Big Foot to REALLY prove himself but i am seriously impressed with him as of late.

I dont want to say he’s gonna be the UFC champ some day but i certainly believe he’s capable of it. He’s proven that he can KO anyo HW in the world, can take shots from the hardest hitters, and his grappling is superb. He’s actually very well-rounded. And while he was soundly out-boxed by JDS in their first matchup, his striking has come far since then, hes begun to use more combos and feints, and he has become shockingly accurate with that right hand of his. His timing is just impeccable when throwing that overhand.

Cant help but cheer for the guy no matter who he’s fighting, i hope they give him DC or JDS next. I think he’s got what it takes to knock either guy off.

Hell, im even pretty interested in seeing a match between him and Cain in the future, if he can manage to keep that one on the feet for any lengthy period of time, i think Cain takes a nap.

6 UFC wins, 6 UFC knockouts. I think its pretty likely that Nelson would be the favorite in a rematch with Mir, however i think Verdum still poses an interesting style matchup for Nelson. Either way, lot of good potential fights for this guy. [/quote]
he got owned by Mir though

Was glad to see Phil Davis take care of business too. Penn State wrestling FTW. Expect to see more guys coming from Cael Sanderson’s team to the UFC.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
Was glad to see Phil Davis take care of business too. Penn State wrestling FTW. Expect to see more guys coming from Cael Sanderson’s team to the UFC. [/quote]

Nothing against Davis, one of those guys that i could care less about though. He’s a very boring fighter, he has the tools and athleticism to be a great but i dont think he’ll ever live up to that potential. His striking is mediocre and if he got soundly out-grappled by Rashad for 5 rounds, he has nothing for Jones.

I’m a fan of Nelson, as much for his “don’t take yourself too seriously” attitude as for his highly aggressive style and ridiculous heart/ability to take a licking and keep on trying to win. But I’m just not sure he can hang with the big boys in that division. I think the only guy he matches up with well stylistically is Cain as he could very possibly KO Cain if he lands his right hand.

But I think JDS just keeps him at a distance with long jabs and straight rights again, Cormier Couture’s him up against the cage for 3-5 fairly boring and uneventful rounds, and Mir does the same thing he did last time around. Reem might be an interesting match-up though as would Bigfoot.

Nelson - Hunt would be mad, two hard hitting chubby motherfuckers with iron chins going at it, that I would pay to see :slight_smile:

[quote]Fistiecuffs wrote:
Nelson - Hunt would be mad, two hard hitting chubby motherfuckers with iron chins going at it, that I would pay to see :)[/quote]

Yeah, that would be great, and im a big fan of both guys.

Would have to give the edge to Nelson though due to superior conditioning/more well-rounded. Wouldnt bet on it though as both guys have the kind of power to turn any fighters lights out in the blink of an eye.

Was glad to see Phil Davis take care of business too. Penn State wrestling FTW. Expect to see more guys coming from Cael Sanderson’s team to the UFC. [/quote]

Nothing against Davis, one of those guys that i could care less about though. He’s a very boring fighter, he has the tools and athleticism to be a great but i dont think he’ll ever live up to that potential. His striking is mediocre and if he got soundly out-grappled by Rashad for 5 rounds, he has nothing for Jones. [/quote]

I don’t think he’s a contender against Jones yet, but he was smart enough to stay outside and strike when he was winning that way, even though that’s not his game. And yeah, if he hadn’t been a superstar at my alma mater I doubt I’d care about him.

Nothing against Davis, one of those guys that i could care less about though. He’s a very boring fighter, he has the tools and athleticism to be a great but i dont think he’ll ever live up to that potential. His striking is mediocre and if he got soundly out-grappled by Rashad for 5 rounds, he has nothing for Jones. [/quote]

I don’t think he’s a contender against Jones yet, but he was smart enough to stay outside and strike when he was winning that way, even though that’s not his game. And yeah, if he hadn’t been a superstar at my alma mater I doubt I’d care about him.[/quote]

That why Jones has such an edge over Davis though, not only is he arguably the better wrestler (and unquestionably has the better GnP) but he MADE the striking a huge part of his game. I dont see Davis’ striking developing along a similar curve. Its so rare to see wrestlers embrace the standup game the way Jones has.

I could be wrong, Davis is still young and has a ton of potential, but i just dont see him ever becoming more than a strong, very athletic wrestler with enough striking to get him by.

No mention of Roy Nelson yet, curious as to what everyone thinks his potential is. Sure he needs to fight a top 5 guy like DC, JDS, or Big Foot to REALLY prove himself but i am seriously impressed with him as of late. [/quote]

He’s already fought JDS. dos Santos hit him with everything but his sink and could not finish him. It ended up going to decision. That’s the fight where Roy earned my total respect after seeing JDS knock just about everybody else out with much less than what he threw on Big Country. Roy deserves the winner of the UFC 160 title fight.

[quote]MWP wrote:

No mention of Roy Nelson yet, curious as to what everyone thinks his potential is. Sure he needs to fight a top 5 guy like DC, JDS, or Big Foot to REALLY prove himself but i am seriously impressed with him as of late. [/quote]

He’s already fought JDS. dos Santos hit him with everything but his sink and could not finish him. It ended up going to decision. That’s the fight where Roy earned my total respect after seeing JDS knock just about everybody else out with much less than what he threw on Big Country. Roy deserves the winner of the UFC 160 title fight. [/quote]

Exactly. Should JDS be the betting favorite in a rematch? No doubt. But Roy HAS improved since then, he’s already seen the best of JDS and knows what he’s going to try and do, and if Cain can drop JDS, Roy can do it. Im interested to see it.

FWIW i think Roy beats Big Foot. Big Foots got the size, but if DC can knock him on his ass, Roy certainly can too, and i dont think Big Foot has any kind of power that Roy hasnt seen yet. Hoping that after Cain stomps Big Foot this is the fight they give Roy. That would also set him up nicely for a title shot. Getting past Cain however, is going to be a much different story. I still wanna see it happen though.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

I don’t know what the deal was with Belcher’s ankle supports or why he looked off, I just hope it was only his eyelid that was lacerated.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

Bisping asked for them to be cut off after the AC had already signed off on them. In NJ ankle wraps are left up to the opponent to approve.

Alan’s eye is fine, it was a cut inside his eyelid. Looked a lot worse than it really is, thankfully.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

6 UFC wins, 6 UFC knockouts. I think its pretty likely that Nelson would be the favorite in a rematch with Mir, however i think Verdum still poses an interesting style matchup for Nelson. Either way, lot of good potential fights for this guy. [/quote]
he got owned by Mir though
[/quote]

True, but he was supposed to have been over the flu or something like it just a few days before. Mir cornered for him next when he fought Filipovic, and Nelson hammered out a victory. It is the UFC, maybe he will fight Mir again.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

I don’t know what the deal was with Belcher’s ankle supports or why he looked off, I just hope it was only his eyelid that was lacerated.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

Bisping asked for them to be cut off after the AC had already signed off on them. In NJ ankle wraps are left up to the opponent to approve.

Alan’s eye is fine, it was a cut inside his eyelid. Looked a lot worse than it really is, thankfully.[/quote]

Thanks, I am glad to read that his eyelid did its job.

So the ankle wraps was more a Bisbing being a dick thing? Great.

Well, I hope Belcher comes back better, he looked very “off” the whole fight. I know he was saying he could walk through Bisbing’s shots, but if that was his plan than he needed to actually get in and land his own.

Regards,

Robert A

Yeah, he tends to run hot and cold, you know. But when he’s hot he’s a handful for anybody in that division. It’s just a matter of minimizing the cold performances.

I think he’s on a streak against less than competent boxers who couldn’t or wouldn’t take him down. Kongo, Mitrione, and Herman are on the lower end of the HW spectrum wrt their hands.

Roy’s a pretty good gatekeeper though. You beat him, you belong with the big boys.