T Nation

Jones - Sonnen

Who do you have, how, and why?

Jones by tko, because talk is cheap. If you can’t hurt Anderson Silva at 185, Jones at 205 is going to put on a clinic.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
Who do you have, how, and why?

Jones by tko, because talk is cheap. If you can’t hurt Anderson Silva at 185, Jones at 205 is going to put on a clinic.[/quote]

I agree. I think this thing goes to decision. Jones wins but it will be entertaining. Worth a PPV purchase.

I really think Sonnen is a solid fighter but I am at the point where I wish he would just STFU until Dana straps a belt on him. I understand he trash talks to sell his fights but it has gotten old.

I think Jones will finish him.

I think if Sonnen had the power to put him away with GnP off the takedown, he might have a chance. BUt he’s shown he doesn’t have that kind of power, and that if he were to win it would be a five-round grind on Jones, and I just don’t see that happening.

Sonnen is going to get embarrassed. How did he get a shot at the title at 205 without having fought anyone else.

I would have like to seen sonnen get a fight with hendo, evans, shogun, or one of the other top light heavys before he got a title shot at least. I think this was a little premature, even if he wins which I doubt. He is a really good fighter though but I think sometimes that gets overshadowed with his mouth.

[quote]bpick86 wrote:
I would have like to seen sonnen get a fight with hendo, evans, shogun, or one of the other top light heavys before he got a title shot at least. I think this was a little premature, even if he wins which I doubt. He is a really good fighter though but I think sometimes that gets overshadowed with his mouth. [/quote]

I actually think because of his mouth, he got this title fight. All this talking by him wants me to buy the fight and see Jones shut him up.

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]bpick86 wrote:
I would have like to seen sonnen get a fight with hendo, evans, shogun, or one of the other top light heavys before he got a title shot at least. I think this was a little premature, even if he wins which I doubt. He is a really good fighter though but I think sometimes that gets overshadowed with his mouth. [/quote]

I actually think because of his mouth, he got this title fight. All this talking by him wants me to buy the fight and see Jones shut him up.[/quote]

What other possible answer is there? He has never fought at LHW before, he just lost his last fight to Silva in spectacular fashion, and there are several LHW’s who are deserving of a shot. They gave him the shot because he is a great talker, which they knew would sell PPV’s and keep people entertained during the TUF season.

When the final bell rings though, I see Jones getting his hand raised.

I think Jones takes it.

I am excited about it though. I think Sonnen offers something that most fighters that have lacked fighting Jones and that’s pressure. It will be interesting to how Jones handles it. It seems to me that most fighters who fight Jones have lost the fight before stepping in to the cage.

I don’t know about most guys losing before they enter the cage against Jones. I don’t think Rampage, Machida, or Shogun were intimidated by him when they first walked into the cage. Now, by the end of the fight they all probably were, but not before. Jones is just so well rounded, disciplined, and talented that he has been able to force everyone who he has fought to fight Jones’ fight.

I really don’t see Sonnen being able to stop him from doing that. We’ve also seen Jones neutralize and even dominate other wrestlers, so I’m not even sure that if Sonnen does manage to close the gap that he won’t get manhandled. And if that’s the case, then it’s game over for Chael.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I really don’t see Sonnen being able to stop him from doing that. We’ve also seen Jones neutralize and even dominate other wrestlers, so I’m not even sure that if Sonnen does manage to close the gap that he won’t get manhandled. And if that’s the case, then it’s game over for Chael.[/quote]

I’m not even sure Jones will mind Sonnen closing the gap. His sprawl should be strong enough to prevent the takedown and his clinch game should be far superior. We might see Chael on the bottom here. Pretty sure it’s going to be a TKO due to GnP or a tapout.

Or, you know, Chael doesn’t go for the takedown and gets picked apart from the outside for 5 rounds. Yay.

If Chael looses this fight he has 3 losses in a row… I would not be suprised if he ends his MMA career afterwards.

Two. Unless you count the Bisping fight as a loss… I don’t.

back to back losses to Anderson Silva and Jon Jones only mean that you are fighting two of the best fighters in the world. I kinda feel like Jones got Sonnen because he’s coming off an injury and the UFC is somewhat invested in Jon Jones - basically giving him a bit of a tune up fight. With Anderson and GSP nearing the ends of their respective careers, the UFC as a brand benefits from having consistency in one of its more visible divisions and Jones is only frickin 25.

As far as the rest of the card, it’s always fun to see Bisping lose though I don’t think Belcher is going to be able to pull it off - Bisping will be on his bike around the cage as usual. And even though I like Roy Nelson he’s probably going to get man handled by Kongo. Phil Davis is probably going to decision Vinny, but it would be more exciting if Vinny pulled a flying armbar out of his ass.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
back to back losses to Anderson Silva [/quote]

He demolished Stann and Bisping between those loses.

I was saying that should he lose to Jones he will have had back to back losses but it will have been to two of the best fighters in the world. One to Silva, one to Jones.

Im calling it now, Sonnen is not going to be the person to take Jones down.

A lot of people keep saying he’ll be the guy to do it, that Jones has never faced anyone with such a powerful double and who’s so relentless. Saying that Chael will keep the pressure on and test Jones in ways we’ve never seen.

Bullshit.

Sonnen already knows he’s gonna lose, all he’s done is talk up Jones, and he refuses to flat out say that he will beat Jones. He’s trying to make sure he doesnt say anything only to have Jones make him eat his words.

Jones WILL NOT be taken down, and after a time, Sonnen’s will is going to break. He will realize he’s outmatched, and will look for a way out.

Jones will give it to him. Even as big of an underdog as Sonnen is, people are giving him too much credit.

That card was cursed. They need to burn some white sage in the octagon or something.

Two fights stopped with eye pokes.

One dislocated/possible surgical thumb

One broken/dislocated and definitely surgical big toe.

Three of those could be career altering.

I don’t know what the deal was with Belcher’s ankle supports or why he looked off, I just hope it was only his eyelid that was lacerated.

I hope Jones has an uncomplicated recovery.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:
Im calling it now, Sonnen is not going to be the person to take Jones down.

A lot of people keep saying he’ll be the guy to do it, that Jones has never faced anyone with such a powerful double and who’s so relentless. Saying that Chael will keep the pressure on and test Jones in ways we’ve never seen.

Bullshit.

Sonnen already knows he’s gonna lose, all he’s done is talk up Jones, and he refuses to flat out say that he will beat Jones. He’s trying to make sure he doesnt say anything only to have Jones make him eat his words.

Jones WILL NOT be taken down, and after a time, Sonnen’s will is going to break. He will realize he’s outmatched, and will look for a way out.

Jones will give it to him. Even as big of an underdog as Sonnen is, people are giving him too much credit. [/quote]

I called it.

And by the way, i do think the stoppage was a bit premature, but either way, Sonnen wasnt getting out of that first round without getting his face elbowed into pieces.

That fucking toe man, how did Jones not feel that during the fight? I mean Jesus Christ, that is one tough SOB

Jim Miller, Pat Healy, what a fight!

Couldn’t see the Jones/Sonnen fight go any other way. Who has the best chance to beat Jones? I’d like to see Daniel Cormier drop to LHW.