Jonathan Byrd- "Powerlifting Graveyard"

Training to improve on my best competition lifts of 1040 squat, 705 bench, and 730 deadlift. Currently working my way down to the 275 class.

Squat and deadlift combo day. I really didnt have a plan set in stone today, but wanted to do some heavier stuff. Decided I would throw on some briefs and work up to a single in the 7-8 RPE range. Then go a little heavier than last week on the form pulls.

Squats
2x5@bar
2x5@145
2x3@255
1x3@345
1x1@435
added briefs
1x2@525
added wraps
1x1@615
1x1@700
1x1@770

Deadlift: Conventional stance

2x3@315
1x1@405
1x1@455
3x1@495

Overall was a solid training day. The squats felt great, and I am starting to get the feel for pulling conventional again. Body weight is staying in the mid 280s, but I am hoping that my crapping eating on July 4th didnt mess that up!

Week 4 offseason bench and still no pain in the pec. I am happy with the progress so far, and hopefully the momentum keeps building.

bench
3x5@bar
3x3@135
2x3@225
1x5@315
added 1 board
1x3@365
1x3@385
1x2@405
added titan ram, no boards
1x2@455
1x2@475

Dumbbell floor press with orange band
3x10@60+band

3x10 band flies

Progress with the raw bench. Still light years away from where it was before the surgery, but I actually feel like it might be respectable again in the next few months!

Video from my most recent meet 2450@308 (Actual weight was 298)

Squat/Dead Auxiliary day

I have tried to keep this day at a much higher tempo than I do on my main lift days. It seems to be helping with the conditioning and weight loss.

4x8 one arm kb swings
4x8 goblet squats
3x8 single leg GM
3x6 rows, squeezing each rep at the top
3x20 dumbbell shurgs
4x10 lat pull downs

McGill big 3

I am still having some bicep/forearm pains, so that is why I cut out the McGill pull ups. Not sure exactly what is causing the issues, but it is improving each week. Body weight is down to 284 today, which is the lowest in years. As long as I don’t get off course I will be able to compete at 275 next meet.

I can’t believe more people are not following this.

I’m following.

In for beards and brutality

Thanks for following guys. I started back up my video series and doing some Q&A stuff again. If you have anything you want me to ask just let me know.

This one is on training to failure

What do you think about that Reed guy? He is pretty awesome like a weaker and smaller you almost.

[quote]Reed wrote:
What do you think about that Reed guy? He is pretty awesome like a weaker and smaller you almost.[/quote]

Smaller maybe, but weaker? Nope! haha

Hahahahaha you have not seen him press yet lol. Are you going to be at SPF Nats this year in Manchester?

Holy fuck. I’m in.

Holy fuck nice beard.

Pretty decent lifts too.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Hahahahaha you have not seen him press yet lol. Are you going to be at SPF Nats this year in Manchester?[/quote]

HAHA! Mine isnt pretty anymore after the pec tear. I am doing the WPC worlds in the bench, just because. I am holding off doing a full meet until I have adjusted to the 275 class. Thinking maybe the Arnold again, but really not sure.

Thanks for joining guys, deload squats tomorrow. Probably just stay in the 400s on both squat and pull.

Squat/Dead Aux Day

The plan was to just get in one set of squats with some higher reps and shut it down for the day. Well that plan broke apart pretty fast.

3x5@bar
2x3@150
2x3@240
1x3@330
Added Wraps
1x10@420

Deadlifts: Conventional with double over hand grip
4x1@315
1x1@405

Pause Squats: Buffalo Bar
2x6 2 count pause

Reverse Sled Drags
2 trips

First the squat depth was all over the place in the set with wraps. I should have expected that being the actual number of reps, and that I have not used just wraps in awhile. I am pleased with how well my grip is improving, I am going to continue to use the double over hand for awhile until I switch back to my sumo stance.

I would be on the floor if I tried to do a set of ten in wraps…
You are a strong guy. I’ll definitely be following along.

[quote]budreiser wrote:
I would be on the floor if I tried to do a set of ten in wraps…
You are a strong guy. I’ll definitely be following along.[/quote]

Well to be honest if I had to do a set of 10 that really pushed me it would have to be high 500s low 600s in wraps, but im trying to keep the RPE pretty low as my body weight adjusts. Thanks for following along.