Jon Stewart Bitches Out Crossfire

Did anyone see this? Here is what I got from another website.

Jon Stewart Bitchslaps CNN’s ‘Crossfire’ Show
10.15.2004 6:43 PM EDT

In what could well be the strangest and most refreshing media moment of the election season, “The Daily Show” host Jon Stewart turned up on a live broadcast of CNN’s “Crossfire” Friday and accused the mainstream media, and his hosts in particular, of being soft and failing to do their duty as journalists to keep politicians and the political process honest.

Reaching well outside his usual youthful “Daily Show” demo, Stewart took to “Crossfire” to promote his new book, “America (The Book): A Citizen’s Guide to Democracy Inaction” (see “Jon Stewart Writes A History Textbook That At Last! Features Nudity”), but instead of pushing the tome, Stewart used his time to verbally slap the network and the media for being “dishonest” and “doing a disservice” to the American public. After co-host Tucker Carlson suggested that Stewart went easy on Senator John Kerry when the candidate was a guest on “The Daily Show,” Stewart unloaded on “Crossfire,” calling hosts Carlson and Paul Begala “partisan hacks” and chiding them for not raising the level of discourse on their show beyond sloganeering.

“What you do is not honest. What you do is partisan hackery,” Stewart said. "You have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

“I watch your show every day, and it kills me. It’s so painful to watch,” Stewart added as it became apparent that the comedian was not joking. He went on to hammer the network, and the media in general, for its coverage of the presidential debates. Stewart said it was a disservice to viewers to immediately seek reaction from campaign insiders and presidential cheerleaders following the debates, noting that the debates’ famed “Spin Alley” should be called “Deception Lane.”

“The thing is, we need your help,” Stewart said. “Right now, you’re helping the politicians and the corporations and we’re left out there to mow our lawns.”

While the audience seemed to be behind Stewart, Begala and Carlson were both taken aback. The hosts tried to feed Stewart set-up lines hoping to draw him into a more light-hearted shtick, but Stewart stayed on point and hammered away at the show, the hosts, and the state of political journalism. Carlson grew increasingly frustrated, at first noting that the segment wasn’t “funny,” and later verbally sparring with the comedian.

“You’re not very much fun,” Carlson said. “Do you like lecture people like this, or do you come over to their house and sit and lecture them; they’re not doing the right thing, that they’re missing their opportunities, evading their responsibilities?”

“If I think they are,” Stewart retorted.

The conversation reached its most heated moment when Carlson said to Stewart, “I do think you’re more fun on your show,” to which Stewart replied, “You’re as big a dick on your show as you are on any show.”

“That went great,” Stewart could be heard sarcastically saying as the show went off the air (a transcript of the show is available on CNN.com).

In an era when the media is increasingly fragmented and viewers can surround themselves with programming that falls right in line with their own views, be they on the right or the left, Stewart’s blast seemed especially on point. It seems fitting that the tirade came on a day when much of the media attention focused on the presidential race was directed at the mention of Vice President Dick Cheney’s daughter during the last presidential debate, as opposed to the issues addressed at that debate.

Here is a link

http://www.fivis.net/dropbox/Crossfire-20041015-John_Stewart--compressed.wmv

Thanks KevinKovach I read about the argument on another forum but the links provided were not accessible. It was more entertaining than I hoped for.

I’ve never watched crossfire prior to that, so I can’t really say anything about the show (except that it appears that the hosts would be good at freestyle). Stewart is definitely relaying a good message.

Phew, just downloaded the vid. Hooray for Stewart, he really tried handing them their asses on a plate, as much as it’s possible in a staged show with two clowns(ironically John Stewart of COMEDY CENTRAL was the only sane and serious one).

It’s very true that the media jumps at dumbshit stories just to make some headlines. FOX, NBC, CNN all predictable morons who are willing to bend over for ratings and agendas. Ever watch news in other countries? If you did, then you realize that only in the US is the news trully a disservice and primarily a buisness. It’s pathetic how this is so out of hand.

where’d you get the video?

From the link in the first post.

Actually Stewart is a starry eyed liberal who needs to stick to comedy, which he is actually only marginally good at.

Actually, I have to agree with Stewart.

I can’t stand shows lihe Crossfire. The term ‘partisan hackery’ is apt.

The worst part, for me, is that the pundits in isolation can be quite good and intelligent. Put them on that show and nothing in the name of public discourse is advanced - only lapdogs trying to shout down the other and score a quick nugget with a one-liner.

Good for Stewart - although he has his cake and gets to eat it too. Stewart gets to report and comment on all issues political, but do it while wearing the ‘entertainment’ hat, not the ‘journalism’ hat. He doesn’t have to be fair or objective because he runs a comedy show, but Stewart gets to weigh in on current afafirs as a journalist would.

One thing I would suggest - if John Stewart can do better, he should do so.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Actually Stewart is a starry eyed liberal who needs to stick to comedy, which he is actually only marginally good at.[/quote]

And someone should stick with chin-up routines which he is indeed very good at. :-))))

w2097:

Okay…It’s a deal! I’ll stick to helping people and you stick to trying to get help. :wink:

Oh yeah, well the chin-up was invented by a leftwinger…:slight_smile: just kidding.

Man, how can you support Bush? I mean just the shame of having such an unsophisticated and inarticulate president… you know. What these years have shown is that you can be a dumbass president and still be extremely popular among the people, that’s just sad. I don’t want to cringe every time I hear this guy make a speech, it’s just a damn mockery of America. And you know it.

[quote]w2097 wrote:
Man, how can you support Bush? I mean just the shame of having such an unsophisticated and inarticulate president… you know. What these years have shown is that you can be a dumbass president and still be extremely popular among the people, that’s just sad. I don’t want to cringe every time I hear this guy make a speach, it’s just a damn mockery of America. And you know it.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. What is frightening is that people like Bush because they think he is one of them. Do you realize what that means? All you have to do is watch network television to get an idea of what the average American is like: uneducated, lazy, short sighted with no imagination and the attention span of a gnat. I don’t know about you, but I sure as hell don’t want the president to be “just like everyone else”. I’m voting for the smart guy.
Zeb, I believe you and I are about the same age; 48. Don’t you remember Vietnam? Don’t you see the correlations? You need to watch “The Fog of War”. It is kind of a documentary about Robert McNamara who was the Secretary of Defense for Kennedy and Johnson. The first hour is interesting, but the last hour concerning Vietnam will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck when they play tapes of Johnson and his advisors talking. It’s the same goddam situation. We have really fucked ourselves in Iraq.

BTW, I love Jon Stewart. He is sooo on point, it’s great. I loved his interview on Larry King. He was trying to explain to Larry King the responsibility that the media has to help the public, but it went right over King’s head. King thought he was being funny and he was being dead serious.

Where can I get the Larry King video?

Jon Stewart is the man for standing up and saying something. I love how he called that guy a dick. FUCKING HILARIOUS.

w2097:

Left winger? Oh no…that did it no more Chin-ups for me…

Seriously, I support President Bush not becuase some think he is inarticulate, but inspite of it!

I simply agree with his policies. I think he is right about Iraq and the war on terrorism. Those who think that terrorism is just Bin Laden are short sighted. If you fail to see the danger that Iraq posed I sure as heck cannot convince you in this post.

I also think Americans are overtaxed and his tax cut was good for the economy. I feel if given another four years he may shake up the tax system to the point where we could have a flat tax, or at least something more sane than what we now have.

If you have not yet been treated to paying over 50% of your gross income to the tax man (state and federal) then you are in for a real treat. In fact, you may change your mind once this horrible event occurs in your life. Some things you just have to “feel” before you realize how nasty they are. Sort of like a broken nose. When it happens to your friend it’s a shame. When it happens to you…tragic man.

I also vividly remember some people calling Ronald Reagen an idiot. At that time the liberals were calling for a nuclear freeze (Haha you don’t hear much about how wrong the liberals were then do you?). There were marches with Hollywood celebrities, Ed Asner, Striesand etc. They thought Reagen was stupid and a war monger.

What happened? The Soviet Union fell. the Berlin wall came down and we had a robust economy.

While important, I don’t think that being articulate is as important as being correct in action. As long as President Bush continues to be correct, he can mispronounce a few words…who cares?

gojira:

I do remember Viet Nam, and the Iraq war has absolutely nothing in common with it, other than soilders fighting.

We entered Viet Nam as “advisers” during the Kennedy’s administration (a democrat). Then Lyndon Johnson (another democrat) escalated the war when it was obvious that the South Vietnamese were not going to be able to go it alone. We then lost 56,000 troops before we pulled out. South Viet Nam fell shortly thereafter.

How can you compare the Viet Nam conflict with Iraq? This is totally different in almost every way! We have lost under 1000 troops in actual combat (naturally any death is tragic). Think about how incredible that is to overtake their military, topple a dictator and hold free elections (January 2005). And How many months did it take to accomplish this? Naturally, there are radicals in Iraq that don’t want to see change. They would love an administration change in the US. Do you think the enemy’s of freedom want to see President Bush remain in office? If they could they would vote for Kerry in a heart beat!

I think you need to take a step back and see all of the good that can come from this when Iraq is free, as it soon will be.

Watched the video, I see I’m not the only one tired of those for which “the ends justify the means”…

Why you should vote for Kerry:

http://johnkerryads.websiteanimal.com/

w2o97, gojira,

You run your mouths pretty ragged.

This talk about “unsophistication” of W. and the American people in general is as unwarranted as it is untrue.

First of all, are you both Americans? If not, what country are you from?

Either way, you know that our culture, science, and military are the glory of the human race. We have the finest minds on the planet, bar none. So quit with the “average” American garbage. The high achievers pull our “average” up far enough to make this statement meaningless.

I don’t like talking about kerry. He’s not worth the time. However, calling him the “smart one” makes me laugh out loud. He has made so many ignorant statements and course changes over his career and this campaign to make an educated person ill. He is an insult.
Want an example of pure stupidity on Kerry’s part? Just check out the link I supplied on Kerry on Iraq. This illustrates with crystal clarity the man’s lack of political conviction and what I consider, utter stupidity.
He also talks too much for my tastes. All talk and damn little action. I think it was Rainjack who eloquently stated that Kerry suffers from “Paralysis of Analysis.”

I hope you aren’t deluded enough to think that all the “intelligent” people are voting for kerry. If you are, then you are dead wrong. Some of our greatest minds are firmly in W.'s camp.

Supporters of W. can see through the liberal propaganda into this man’s heart. We trust him to attack the terrorists on their turf. Imagine if W. was a Democrat. Does anyone think W. would have changed his position/tone about Iraq to appeal to Dean voters? That courage in the face of adversity is EXACTLY what we need to see this through. Think Lincoln and the Copperheads in 1864.

You and your ilk are the modern-day Copperheads.

I want to invite you two kerry lovers over to the challenge. If you have the stones, I’d love to include you.

JeffR

I didn’t see the show but Stewart is right about calling those clowns over at Crossfire “partisan hacks”.

[quote]JeffR wrote:
w2o97, gojira,
This talk about “unsophistication” of W. and the American people in general is as unwarranted as it is untrue.
[/quote]
You’re kiddin’ me right?

Third generation American, baby. My father was an officer in the U.S. Navy and served in both WWII and the Korean “conflict”. My brother’s number for the draft lottery was #9. And just like Dick Cheney, he scrambled to get a college deferment.

Your president is doing everything he can to destroy science in this country unless it agrees with his agenda.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!..Oh stop it, you’re killin’ me. Oh my god…I can’t breathe…laughing so hard, my diaphragm is cramping up.

w2o97 and gojira,

Your view is typical and limited. The whole ‘Bush is dumb’ charge is lazy.

Bush is plainspoken. So was Andy Jackson. He is accused of being a backwards hillbilly. So was Lincoln.

Bush has a very good command of policy, which is the most important attribute. He also has a very good sense of his personal direction. Is he eloquent? No.

But do I want a plainspoken salt-of-the-earth type, or do I want an eloquent fop?

Being well-spoken is not enough - what good is being armed with a great vocabulary if you are also weak, out-od-touch, effete, and faint-hearted?

I can name at least 10 people I know that have the letters “PhD” after their name, and I wouldn’t put them in charge of a Girl Scout cookie drive.

Bush’s intelligence has always been underestimated, and that’s been a source of his political strength.

gojira,

“All you have to do is watch network television to get an idea of what the average American is like: uneducated, lazy, short sighted with no imagination and the attention span of a gnat.”

I don’t necessarily disagree with that, but you are aware that the electorate is largely split in half? The same attributes you apply to the average Bush-supporter are the same attributes of someone who just walked out of a Michael Moore movie with a sense that they just got ‘shown the light.’ And never, ever discount the actual individuals that bring us this low art out of Hollywood - nearly all proud Leftists.

I, too, vote for the exceptional man - but exceptional means far more than sophisticated. In fact, I’d argue it means the exact opposite. The so-called sophisticated class is largely out-of-touch with the people it claims to represent, drunk on that latest trendy theories of new political formulas, moral relativism, or utopian blueprint.

Vote for the smart guy all you want - I’ll vote for the candidate with courage, honor, moral clarity, and virility.

w2097,

“What these years have shown is that you can be a dumbass president and still be extremely popular among the people, that’s just sad. I don’t want to cringe every time I hear this guy make a speech, it’s just a damn mockery of America. And you know it.”

Such a naive statement. Actually, Bush’s speeches are usually quite good - extemporaneous question answering is where he looks awful.

As for cringing every time your President talks - how sad is it that you seem so concerned about soundbytes and image and not on substance? I don’t care if my President is clever - I care if he takes care of America and acts as good steward of our country.

It’s a shame we live in an age of wit, where it’s better to be pedantic than wise. I’d love to have a president that speaks several languages, maybe written - not ghost-written - several important books. But there are other characteristics I prioritize as higher, and if a candidate doesn’t have that foundation of character, no amount of erudition or presentation will save him from losing my vote.

I don’t want a impressive mouth and an empty suit - and I’ll vote accordingly.

As for a mockery of America - nonsense. Bush is in a great tradition of American presidents who exhibit everyman style and big courage - Truman comes to mind.