Jokers and FSL

Should/can Joker sets and FSL (3x3-8) be implemented af the same time? I read in the “beyond” book that you believe they should each be staples of the program. I have done them for week of 5s and one session on 3s. Squat day is a MF thusfar. Just wondering if you believe that is good or too much (on paper). For squats, i have done paused reps, bench paused 1" off chest reps, deficits for DL and none for press last week due to time constraints.

Thank you for your time and attention to my question.

I noticed that adding in the regular FSL with AMRAP would be a little too much volume and hurts my Joker sets, so instead, I use the FSL with pause reps then Joker sets. So honestly, if there’s no problem, don’t fix it. If you feels it’s too much, cut back, otherwise, keep at it.

[quote]Firebyrd wrote:
Should/can Joker sets and FSL (3x3-8) be implemented af the same time? I read in the “beyond” book that you believe they should each be staples of the program. I have done them for week of 5s and one session on 3s. Squat day is a MF thusfar. Just wondering if you believe that is good or too much (on paper). For squats, i have done paused reps, bench paused 1" off chest reps, deficits for DL and none for press last week due to time constraints.

Thank you for your time and attention to my question. [/quote]

We usually program (as I’m sure most people who read my stuff) 5 cycles - of those 5 cycles (not counting the TM Testing we do), we MAY have some people do Jokers on 3x3/531 week for only 2 cycles. It’s rare.

We do a lot of supplemental work (of which FSL is) if the training calls for it.

You have to understand that we plan the big stuff, with an eye on kicking ass. Jokers have their place but if you are interested in being great, it’s a tiny, small, miniscule part of the program. I see people doing Jokers who can’t even do 20 chins, 50 push-ups and 20 straight hanging leg raises.

And they think Jokers is the answer. Too many people trying to polish turds.

Thank you for the time and attention to my question. I appreciate letting me know that the big stuff is the 5/3/1 base. It is very easy to get caught up in how much you can add to the bar each workout for Joker sets. Personally, I do well moving my bodyweight, utilizing weighted pullups one day and body weight pullups another day (alternating grips and implements) as well as dips.

The big weights are what get me the most. I have had a stagnate max for quite sometime and I really, really want to break the 400 mark on squat. I have a similar problem with bench. My press and deadlift have crept along better than the former. I kind of thought that the Jokers may help me break through if I use them often.

I will heed to your advice, however, and utilize them on 3x3 and 5/3/1 for one more cycle, before adjusting. I have a meet approximately 6 weeks after that point and will adjust to some practice singles and reduce the FSL volume. I do have my eye on being great but rest and recovery is difficult with a young, working family and a 24 on/48 hr off work schedule.

That said, have you/do you have any recommendations for firefighters who battle a difficult schedule for rest and recovery, who also have to maintain a level of conditioning necessary for job performance? I realize that I am trying to please many masters but when it comes down to it, I just want to be a great dad, husband, firefighter, and a strong son of a bitch.

I am truly thankful for what I have learned thusfar from your books and the all of the information you have put out there, not to mention the time you take to tend to all of these questions. If available and necessary, do you do consults?

“That said, have you/do you have any recommendations for firefighters who battle a difficult schedule for rest and recovery, who also have to maintain a level of conditioning necessary for job performance? I realize that I am trying to please many masters but when it comes down to it, I just want to be a great dad, husband, firefighter, and a strong son of a bitch.”

Have an “A” and a “B” workout - squat/bench and deadlift/press
Use other days as a way to recover, work on superior mobility, conditioning and fitness. Lift when you can and what your schedule allows. Do the other stuff every day - it only takes 30-60 minutes and will greatly change your strength and “fitness” level without leaving you wiped out and feeling like shit. Training is about making you better, not about beating you up.

As of now, I don’t do consults.