T Nation

Joint Supplement 3 Choices

Hi All. .

For various reasons (budget, local customs here in SA etc.) I have 3 choices for joint supplements I want to order. I just wanted any opinions/advice on which to get:

1. NOW Glucosamine and Chondroitin ES[/url]. Pluses: 1.5g Glucosamine, 1.2g Chondroitin, good reputation (NOW foods). Negatives: no MSM

2. Now Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM[/url]. Pluses: good price and reputation. Contains all 3 ingredients. Negatives: only 1.1g Glucosamine (not the usual 1.5g).

3. TKE Joint Boost[/url]. Pluses: has all 3 ingredients in right quantities, relatively cheap. Cons: I haven't heard much about TKE in terms of reputation/quality.

If TKE has a good reputation and people have had good success with it, it seems the best way to go.

Cheers,
X

Hi There,

You can always take the glucosamine and chondroitin in one pill, and take the MSM in another. It's what I do, but I admit I'd be happier to have them all in one pill.

NOW seem to have a good rep, but I've never heard of the other brand. Sorry mate!

My favorite is Glucosamine Chondroiton with MSN from Puritans Pride. It's cheap and effective, and they run 3 for 1 specials at decently regular intervals. There's not that much MSM in it, but I've never felt the need to buy any separately. Legs and joints feel great.

Give "Boswella" a try.

(Go ahead google it-You know you want to:)

Hi guys. Thanks for the info. Busy looking it up Zeb :slightly_smiling:

I will try and find that other make online and see if they ship to South Africa. I have seen a number of products which look good but which I cannot get locally and the overseas suppliers won't ship. I have found NOW stuff though which has a very good rep.

About taking them separately - I think that is what I will do actually. I checked the prices now and the NOW MSM is relatively cheap. The combined product only has about 300mg MSM whereas I can get a 4 month's supply of MSM at 1g a day (1000mg caps) for around $13! That together with the Glucosamine and Chondroitin ES should be ideal.

Cheers,
X

get the glucosamine chondroiton msm bro, good shit

I read somewhere that chondroiton could cause prostate problems. Anyone else read that?

I know I'll google it :slight_smile:

I know that glucosamine isn't good if you have high blood pressure. Just a suggestion you might want to try high doses of fish oil or celadrin or cissus.

Thanks for the heads up.

By the way, How have you been WideGuy?

Good brother Zeb...good.

As for physically. I'm REAL sore. I hit legs 2 days ago and I can hardly handle a set of stairs. One of my new priorities is to get my cardio up though. Since I've crossed over to the dark side, I've been about nothing but getting HYUGE. In other words I have not wind, it's starting to effect my lifting now though ie. I'm always huffing and puffing during my workouts. Especially on legs. I'm not to sure what the best way to go about it would be though. I figure I'll just do some cardio (cycle or treadmill for 15-20 min, 2-3 times a week).

That might end up effecting your size, especially in your legs.

Why don't you try a sprint routine?

Run 400's or even 200's.

Do 5 or 6 sets with only :90 rest between each one if your running 400's. And a :60 rest between each one if you are running 200's.

You will build that "wind" you lack and won't lose any muscle in the process.

Do these only twice per week-

What do you think bro?

I honestly haven't heard of that. I will look into though.

I've heard that the large molecular structure of chondroitin actually makes it difficult/impossible to absorb. Anyone else heard this?

I personally just use glucosamine/MSM. When you buy brands without chondroitin you can save a LOT of money.

I think I know jack-shat about cardio and I'll take whatever advice a good man like yourself is willin to give brotha :slightly_smiling:

Unless your condition is serious i think you can get away with Fish Oil alone. My joints dont ache much when taking Fish oil regularly. There are studies regarding fish oil and joint/muscle ache that you can google.

Hi Guys. I ordered the NOW Glucosamine/Chondroitin ES and the MSM separately - works out far cheaper.

Joints are pretty bad, always have been (weak bone structure in my entire family though). Already taking fish oil caps, about 5 a day. Cannot do like what some people suggest and take like 5 every meal as it is far too expensive here in South Africa. I take flax oil too, about 15-20ml a day.

Will be taking the supps at recommended dosages: 1.5g CSA, 1.2g GS, 2g MSM. Will continue with the fish oil and flax too.