T Nation

Joint Pain

I am a 45 year old male who loves the results from working with weights. However, I frequently have a problem with back pain nd joint pain. I work out about an hour a day - six days a week, alternating between upper body and lower body. I do 20 minutes of ab and back exercises 3 times a week. I take multilvites, vit E and 1000 MG of Omega-3 a day and 1000/800mg's of glucosamine and chondroitin. Is Omega-3 a substitute for Flax oil? Or should I supplement with this also? What is the best way to deal with this? I want to get some lubrication in these old bones.

One hour a day, six days a week? Why? Also, WHAT are your "back exercises"? Have you taken ANY sort of break from training that much lately?

First I have to agree with Patricia, it sounds like you are massively overtraining (joint pain is a common sypmtom). Why don't you try one of the excelent workout plans listed in the FAQ section of this site, after taking a week off. To answer your other questions, I would up your dose of glucosamine and chondrioton to 1.5x the recommended dose (I believe that is around 1500mg of glucosamine), I have had excelent results with that amount. Omega 3 fatty acid the reason people supplement with flax-I would recommend 2-4 tablespoons a day, plus it's much more economical than taking pills. As far as other joint supps you might want to look into fish oil, and MSN. Best of luck.

Jeff, if you are working out with any kind of intensity or weight, I think three days a week of back is probably a little much! If I tried to deadlift/row/chin three days a week, I think my body would completely give up on me, and I'm 22.

First of all, knock of the intensity. Perhaps you're overtraining and not giving your body time to heal.

Next, add in a liquid flax seed oil to your diet. Don't cook with it, just mix it in with oatmeal or in protein shakes.

Finally, you might want to try MSM. The stuff is cheap and it's worked very well for my arthritis, along with the glucosamines.

I also had joint pain (back & neck) when I reached my late 30s (I'm now 43). The main addition to my training that alleviated this pain was stretching. Flexibility is the first athletic element to lose as a person ages. Tight/short muscles can cause nerve impingement by decreasing the length of a joint. I purchased Ian King's tape on stretching and after incorporating many of his methods I now feel better than I did when I was in my early 30s.