Joint Function Boosters 1.0

Alright folks. So we have brain function boosters, so why not joint function boosters? I’ll start out with what I use for joint health.

I’m 23 and play D1 rugby for my university. I had a hip labradectomy (spelled that wrong I know…) that ended with 1/3 of my cartilage getting removed in my right hip about 19 months ago. Things are going pretty well now, but time to time my hip acts up, especially after doing acceleration work for sprinting and such.

Currently I take:
~10g fish oil daily
1.5 g glucosamine
200 mg MSM
200 mg cissus quadrangularis
1.2 g chondrotin

What’s the next step? My mom was trying to tell me about something called Biocell Collagen II for joint health. I can’t find much in the way of unbiased reviews on it though. Most of the products include hyaluronic acid in them too.

Thoughts? What do you guys use for all of our various problems?

Well I normally take fish oil and curcumin. But I’ve heard selenium and Vitamin E are good. I already take 200mcg of selenium a day, probably should be eating more foods with vitamin E (red palm oil, mainly).

As people may or may not know I had an MRI that showed cartilage thinning in my left knee, so I just ordered ‘Chondro PX’ by Poliquin just to try it out. I’ve actually never taken glucosamine/chondroitin but it’s worth a try. It has:

Zinc (as zinc glycinate) 5 mg
Selenium (as selenium amino acid complex) 100 mcg
Copper (as copper citrate) 500 mcg
Manganese (as manganese citrate) 500 mcg
MSM (methylsulfonyl methane) 333 mg
D-Glucosamine Sulfate (as D-glucosamine sulfate KCl) 500 mg
Chondroitin Sulfate (USP) 400 mg

That’s per two tablets, which I’ll be taking three times per day.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Well I normally take fish oil and curcumin. But I’ve heard selenium and Vitamin E are good. I already take 200mcg of selenium a day, probably should be eating more foods with vitamin E (red palm oil, mainly).

As people may or may not know I had an MRI that showed cartilage thinning in my left knee, so I just ordered ‘Chondro PX’ by Poliquin just to try it out. I’ve actually never taken glucosamine/chondroitin but it’s worth a try. It has:

Zinc (as zinc glycinate) 5 mg
Selenium (as selenium amino acid complex) 100 mcg
Copper (as copper citrate) 500 mcg
Manganese (as manganese citrate) 500 mcg
MSM (methylsulfonyl methane) 333 mg
D-Glucosamine Sulfate (as D-glucosamine sulfate KCl) 500 mg
Chondroitin Sulfate (USP) 400 mg

That’s per two tablets, which I’ll be taking three times per day.[/quote]

Nice. I used poliquin’s “post-surgery anti-inflammatory” type stack after my hip operation, and everything healed way faster than they thought it was going to. The main thing that slowed me down was the bone shaving they did and that could have developed a stress fracture easily.

Ive had a few serious ankle injuries and ankle surgery and I am a semi-pro soccer player.

I take;
fish oil and curcumin.

I have tried cissus, but didnt really notice any difference and that stuff is expensive.

I am at the moment trying silicea, which is meant to be good for strong bones, tendons and cartilage. I cant find much info/research about it though.

tweet

Shouldn’t this be in Supplements/Nutrition?

Anyway, I have a hip impingement in my hip that’s caused some cartilage damage. Getting surgery on May 3rd to shave down the bone and remove some cartilage. I’ve been taking Glucosamine/Chondroition/MsM for a few weeks and will continue doing it after my surgery for the first month. Haven’t noticed any difference, but I still want to take any step possible to help me recover.

@Fisch - I was kind of hoping this would turn into a general joint health/healing thread. Especially for situations like yours. I tore my hip labrum, and when they couldn’t pin it down, they had to cut away a third of my hip cartilage. Sounds like you have an extremely similar operational procedure to mine, seeing as I had my bone shaven down too.

Okay - so it looks like I might have fractured the distal end of my clavicle. Do I need to boost my intake of Cissus?