Joining the Armed Forces

As a Jarhead, I’m biased and say if you want to be military then go all out and become a Marine. I went in enlisted right after high school and loved it. At your age, 25 I believe you said, and having a degree I’d suggest you try for OCS. Marine Officers are fewer and generally have more responsibilty than their equivilents in other branches. Also as an officer the pay scale is much better and 2-3yrs in, you won’t most likely be living in barracks and going to field day and haveing room inspections every week as you would if you were enlisted.

Well from talking to my doctor, it sounds like I’m going to have to have another wrist surgery, and apparently I can’t join up for 6 months after having a surgery. But, from what everyone here seems to be saying, perhaps taking that time will help me to really explore all of my options.
I would like to hear more about what ANGLICO and Recon do. Not to jump into the little debate here, but I always did have a fascination with the Marines. I mean, they really do take the most pride in their service. You can see it in the tattoos, the bumper stickers, the apparel. I don’t know, there is just something about me that makes me want to try out for the most elite unit possible.

I wouldn’t want to join the Rangers and then just hear people talk about the SEALS all the time. But, I take to heart what people are saying here. It’s not just like trying out for the Varsity team. There is a huge commitment involved, and more factors than just trying to challenge myself.
Anyways, I take the ASVAB tomorrow. I don’t think I’m going to sign anything until I’ve recovered from my surgery, but I’ll definitely keep looking into my options in the meantime.

How’s it goin’ all? This is the 17 year old kid from New Mexico, the guy on the left in the picture if it loads, and making some big time leads right now with the future in my life. I’m goin’ to be a Marine, and that means a lot to me, whether I get the nomination for the Naval Academy or enlist, it’s gonna happen.

You guys seem to have good heads on your shoulders, lots of quick wits in here, great reading, but if there’s anybody in here, and I know a couple that I’ve talked to in the past, what kind of career would be one of the coolest in there? I wanted to be a pilot, and that may still be in reach, but that commission may come by rather difficultly and lengthy as time reaches forward, due to my 23 ACT score and 3.75 GPA, but I don’t know, maybe that could be enough to do it, the physicalness and mental toughness are there, just not a great history of resume formulas, so I’m lookin for some 2nd, maybe 3rd options if the cookie doesn’t crumble just perfectly, infantry? artillery?

I’d just like to here some stories of guys that have gone in and done there job and what they would’ve changed what might have made it better, just for a monkey see monkey learn type practice, and my myspace deal is at www.myspace.com/ausmusfan if any of you guys use that, but I’ll be checkin on this later on, so adios for now, hope to here from our Heros, and I will talk to you later.

If you are considering Marine OCS, read One Bullet Away by Nate Fick. Nate is an outstanding eaxample of why the best and the brightest of our nation SHOULD be going into the military. Change comes from within.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
If you are considering Marine OCS, read One Bullet Away by Nate Fick. Nate is an outstanding eaxample of why the best and the brightest of our nation SHOULD be going into the military. Change comes from within.[/quote]

“One Bullet Away” is a great book about Marines in Iraq. Another one is “Shooter” by Jack Coughlin about a Marine sniper in Iraq. Another one is “The March Up” by Bing West. NO NOT READ OR WATCH “Jarhead”. That guy is a cry-baby puss. ANGLICO stands for Air/Naval Gunfire LIaison COmpany. These guys drop in behind enemy lines and recon targets then call in naval big guns and attack aircraft. But you don’t sign up for this. Very selective process.

Now that you have six months do recuperate, do all the homework you can. I am enlisted in the Navy doing Intelligence, and even though I have a degree and working on my masters, I still went enlisted. Trust me, there are a lot of SEALS and Green Berets whoi have degrees. The military just makes it harder for officers to go Spec Ops. Looking at your background (i.e. 5 different languages) I think that Special Forces is the way u should go.

[quote]dempsey606 wrote:
I am strongly considering a military career. I just got back from meeting with the Army recruiters for the second time. They are really pushing for me to go Rangers or special forces, but I was wondering what other options there are out there for me to shoot for.

I’d like to try to join the most elite unit possible, and they talked to me about SEALS, marine recon, rangers, and special forces, but I was wondering if there were any other units out there that might be interesting. I know there are a lot of current and former soldiers on here, so any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

I thought you had to be in the Navy or Army for a while before trying out to be a SEAL. Similar to the SAS selection.

My friend went to the Navy careers here about a year or so ago and wanted to join the Royal Marines, he made it to week 13 and dropped out (of 30 weeks Commando test) basically he was not prepared for it. If you wanna go for the US Marines, the training is probably similarly intensive just make sure you are physically and mentally in good shape.

My personally experience was with the British Parachute regiment, most military training is designed to remove those who may be a liability to others and themselves in a battle environment, so you must be able to think on your feet and work as a team. The careers guys gloss over many of the fine points and ball busting aspects of the training. They don’t mention the CS gas you have to breathe in and stuff. GOod luck.

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
dempsey606 wrote:
They don’t mention the CS gas you have to breathe in and stuff. GOod luck.[/quote]

Ahhh…good times, good times. Really clears the sinuses.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Dr. Stig wrote:
dempsey606 wrote:
They don’t mention the CS gas you have to breathe in and stuff. GOod luck.

[/quote]

A few side straddle hops in the gas chamber really don’t stand out in my mind. Measured against the esprit de corps that lasts for a lifetime afterwards, it’s merely a snotdrop in a rainstorm.

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
dempsey606 wrote:

I thought you had to be in the Navy or Army for a while before trying out to be a SEAL. Similar to the SAS selection.

[/quote]

Not sure about the Army but you can take the SEAL Challenge which you go to Basic, complete your A school, then go directly to BUD/S. Assuming you pass the Physical Screening Test.

Well, I just got back from taking the ASVAB. I got a 99, which I’m pretty psyched about. I really want to max out on all the tests. Anyways, there were a lot of Marines down there, and they all had gotten hats and shirts and bags already, without even enlisting themselves. I know that’s a pretty trivial concern, but it just really goes to show more that the Marines look after their own. I got that book One Bullet Away, so hopefully I’ll get a better idea of what kind of elite forces the Marines offer. I definitely want to go as elite as possible.

I also talked to my recruiter more about OCS, and he said that I wouldn’t be guaranteed my choice of a job coming out of OCS the way I would if I signed a contract for SF or Rangers. I still feel like I’m being sold a car, and they are just looking for fresh bodies to send to Ranger school, instead of looking out for my best interests.

Does anyone know where I could find a Marine recruiting office in Boston? I tried looking online, but couldn’t really find anything. I’ll keep you all posted, thanks for the continuing advice.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
PGJ wrote:
Dr. Stig wrote:
dempsey606 wrote:

A few side straddle hops in the gas chamber really don’t stand out in my mind. Measured against the esprit de corps that lasts for a lifetime afterwards, it’s merely a snotdrop in a rainstorm.

[/quote]

Yeah I know, but upset a few of the people I joined up with, that and eating worms.

Seems you have your sights set on the Marines. Good luck with that. In Iraq, they were indiscriminate killers. You’ll have a lot of fun, I’m sure. I know this because when I was there, they fucking shot up my HMMWV more than just a few times. In fact, the Iraqis would stop mortaring them just long enough to let my convoys through their checkpoints, then pound them some more once I was through. Good times

[quote]dempsey606 wrote:
Anyways, there were a lot of Marines down there, and they all had gotten hats and shirts and bags already, without even enlisting themselves[/quote]

Did you talk to any of these guys? There is about a 99% chance that they can tell you about every weapon ever used by mankind, and that they can go on and on and on and on and on about the Marines already.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
PGJ wrote:
Dr. Stig wrote:
dempsey606 wrote:

[/quote]

Ever volunteer to go back in…WITHOUT a mask? That’s livin’!

[quote]dempsey606 wrote:
Well, I just got back from taking the ASVAB. I got a 99, which I’m pretty psyched about. I really want to max out on all the tests. Anyways, there were a lot of Marines down there, and they all had gotten hats and shirts and bags already, without even enlisting themselves. I know that’s a pretty trivial concern, but it just really goes to show more that the Marines look after their own. I got that book One Bullet Away, so hopefully I’ll get a better idea of what kind of elite forces the Marines offer. I definitely want to go as elite as possible.

I also talked to my recruiter more about OCS, and he said that I wouldn’t be guaranteed my choice of a job coming out of OCS the way I would if I signed a contract for SF or Rangers. I still feel like I’m being sold a car, and they are just looking for fresh bodies to send to Ranger school, instead of looking out for my best interests.

Does anyone know where I could find a Marine recruiting office in Boston? I tried looking online, but couldn’t really find anything. I’ll keep you all posted, thanks for the continuing advice.[/quote]

You are in luck, it’s “Elite FOrces” week on the Military Channel. If you get that channel, watch.

About OCS. It is true that officers don’t get guarantees (except some pilots). After OCS you go to “The Basic School” wich is 6 months of OCS-Lite. You’re a 2ndLt by now, but still kind of treated as a rookie. OCS is a sprint, TBS is a marathon. Both are very hard. While at TBS you will select 3 job specialties. Based on class standing (usually about 250 per class, or Company) you will get one of your choices. IF you get infantry, you go across the street for Infantry Officer School. Don’t know how long that is, but it’s freakin’ TOUGH. They don’t mess around. They train you to be the toughest of the tough, leader of combat Marines. It ain’t no joke. DOn’t assume right off the street you’re ready for this kind of training. I was at first then decided that Aircraft Maintenane was more my speed. The first 20 mile hump (hike) you do with a full pack tends to change people’s minds about infantry.

Anyway, find a way to go to OCS. I can tell you’re all gung-ho, but temper that with reason. If you want infantry, you will get it. I have never seen an officer that truly wanted grunts that didn’t get it. Who knows, you might change your mind and want Military Police, or Intelligence, or Motor-T, or Aviation Maintenance. There are lots of choices.

Oh, and all recruiters are selling cars. It’s the nature of the game. They get fired if they don’t make quota.

Investigate all the services, choose whats right for you. No one service is better than any other, they’re just different. And as far as high speed jobs, there are those in every service and very few of them in each branch of service. Whatever you do, do it cuz its right for you, not cuz of the hype or stereotype associated with it. With what your talkin about doin your really not gonna know what your gettin yourself into until your in it, but be as educated and make your decisions for the good sound reasons that suit what you are looking to do with your career not what sounds “cool” at the time. But I’m sure you’ve heard that before just had to say it when I see certain members of certain branches touting there’s as the head and shoulders above everyone best out there. Its good to be proud of what you do, but we’re all on the same team and you’d be surprised the similarities throughout the military as a whole. Whatever you choose, good luck.

Ok well first off before you join the marines, look at whats going on in the world right now what the United States is doing. If you join the military now you are NOT defending the U.S however you are helping certain policy makers to pursue an Imperial Agenda. I know most however will totally disregard what I just said. DO your research please before you join the forces. Recruiters paint a pretty picture for you, for everyone at that!

Let me just say that I too wanted to join the marines, I was so gung-ho about the whole thing, for years! until a relative of mine whose with the CIA and a Middle Eastern analysis now also serving a tour in Iraq of 03’ took me aside on thanksgiving and told me that the forces was not a smart move, ecspecially now. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but its another perspective, call me a crazy Liberal as the Savage nation would say. I just hope we all see the big picture soon, I really do.

[quote]Ryu13 wrote:
hardcorps wrote:
It’s the longest basic(boot camp) and the toughest. Be a Marine!!!

Marine BCT is 12-13 weeks if I remember correctly, my army BCT was 14. How many bootcamps have you attended by the way?

Marine’s are so big-headed.[/quote]

Well Drill Sergeants aren’t allowed to yell at their recruits anymore in Army Boot Camp…

So I guess Marine’s still do have the toughest. :wink:

AF CCT are some pretty bad ass guys, too.

Not that I expect any of ya’ll to agree. :slight_smile: