Joining the 21st Century, Gadget Advice?

Hi all,

So, I will be graduating from professional school this summer and will be joining a firm in a major city in the fall. I think that I’ve finally reached the point where I need to do a tech-overhaul, and I thought I’d solicit some input on these boards.

Currently, I have an old school Razor phone and a laptop. The laptop is seven years old and the Razor barely still works.

I think that now that I’m graduating, it’s about time that I get some technology that is functional and that will help make life easier for me on-the-go. I will be making plenty of money, but I also don’t want to invest in expensive products that won’t carry their weight in usefulness.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Smartphones: This is a must. Should I opt for an iPhone? The new Samsung? Blackberry? Thoughts here welcome.

Laptops: I’ve got a Macbook, and I’m thinking that I’m going to go PC this time. Am I crazy? It just seems like the current Macbook prices are outrageous. I only use the computer to surf the net and word process.

Tablets: First, are they really worth it? Are there better options than the iPad? Seem pretty steep in price.

Other things that I’m not even thinking about?

I haven’t really begun researching any of this, and I thought I’d just make a post to get some good starting input or reading materials.

iPhone as there are way more apps around for them and other things are becoming compatible with them. A LOT of people have iPhones making communication with text, emails, and facetime calls easier. I’m sure the other phones are great but I can’t complain about my iPhone 4 1st gen.

Laptops - Never owned a mac but played on many. I can’t complain about my HP laptop but you can spend $500 less on a PC and get the same if not better specs than a mac can.

Tablets - I own a Asus tablet with a keyboard that acts like a extra battery. I LOVE this thing. Easier to transport, small, new versions are faster, able to download apps on it, surf the internet etc etc. My laptop is now my desktop computer while I use my tablet at school to read notes, make notes, etc. WAYYYY less paper work as I can download articles and read them from my tablet than printing them off.

ps. Be sure to BACKUP everything. With technology it can fail.

Phone will get its use once you have one, the top end ones are comparable in price now depending if you go iPhone or Android, do not get a blackberry.

For home use a desktop is better, full keyboard and mouse with large monitor is just easier to work on. But if you think a laptop will be better then get that, my wife has one that I can use whenever and I rarely use it. Mostly just take it on vacation so I have a computer (visiting family not real vacation).

Tablet: Not very useful

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Phone will get its use once you have one, the top end ones are comparable in price now depending if you go iPhone or Android, do not get a blackberry.

For home use a desktop is better, full keyboard and mouse with large monitor is just easier to work on. But if you think a laptop will be better then get that, my wife has one that I can use whenever and I rarely use it. Mostly just take it on vacation so I have a computer (visiting family not real vacation).

Tablet: Not very useful[/quote]

I use my tablet daily, hardly ever use my desktop or laptop at home.

Disagree about the laptop also, much more comfortable to sit on the couch and browse than to be tied to a desktop.

Iphone or Droid RAZR are good smart phones. I have the Droid and have nothing but good things to say about it.

How mobile will you be with your computing? I don’t think you can go wrong with a solid desktop if you are going to be doing work on it. Otherwise, I recommend a decent laptop. I still am not sold on tablets. They are fun to play around with, but I find I can do everything I want to on my smart phone or desktop. Tablets are the awkward in between, which I just don’t see myself using.