T Nation

Joining Army, MEPS Next Week

So I picked my MOS (35S) last night with my recruiter. I leave for MEPS Wednesday night. Having all that go fine (which it should, no problem), I will then have my job secured. I was curious if anyone could answer a couple questions…

After my basics, I’ll be stationed in Pensecola, FL for 16 weeks for AIT. Anyone know how the gym is there on the base? What life will be like in AIT? If there is such thing as an Army baseball team? What the chow hall is like in general?

Thanks a lot, in advance.

If the Army is still like it was when I joined you won’t be able to do any of the things you just listed. Unless they give you guys warm up milk and read you beddie by stories. The chow should be pretty decent from what I have heard from some soldiers I know. Keep you mind on training and stay out of trouble !

Night Stalkers Don’t Quit !

I went to ‘A’ school at Pensacola 10 years ago. I can’t recall what the gym was like there, as we did our PT outside, and I think I made it to the gym a few times, mostly for cardio back then, before I was bit by the Iron bug. It’s probably still a lame base, with lazy Navy folks’ pretending they can drill around the base. You’ll hear the thundering sounds of the Marines marching to class in the morning, and the roar of the little trainer jets flying in and out. It’s pretty laid back, and the beaches there are great.

What’s that MOS by the way? I’m not familiar with Army MOS’

That’s the link, it’ll tell all about it. Good beaches huh? Sounds nice.

You probably won’t have anytime during AIT to lift. Army food on base isn’t that bad. Generally plenty of it and it’s not that bad. Decent amount of choices but it’s been a long time for me. If that’s you in the pic you should have no problem with basic or AIT. Only the heavy guys suffer.

Well that sucks I probably won’t have any time to lift… At least it’s not forever.

I was in AIT 20 years ago, but I did get to lift the last 2 weeks after I maxed my PT test. If it’s anything like what I did, trust me, you will grow. Just make sure you eat enough - which shouldn’t be a problem.

You guys that go to basic,AIT, or seals as like has been posted before that are all worried about being able to lift weights crack me up.Youre gonna run do pushups situps and get yelled at, thats about it.

In what movie or what friend told you all about the free time youre gonna have to get jacked at basic.

[quote]Icarus wrote:
I was in AIT 20 years ago, but I did get to lift the last 2 weeks after I maxed my PT test. If it’s anything like what I did, trust me, you will grow. Just make sure you eat enough - which shouldn’t be a problem.[/quote]

I’ll second what Icarus said. When you eat, pile as much food on your plate as you can (or as much as the Drills will let you). This was my strategy in basic and OCS and it seemed to work as I didn’t lose any significant weight.

As for lifting, you might get the opportunity towards the end of AIT. I’m not enlisted, but from what I observed it seemed like AIT Soldiers were given some freedoms as their class progressed.

It sucks not being able to lift, but I really don’t think it will be a concern. You will be too busy with training, PT, and class (for AIT).

And just something to remember; being away from family and friends will suck, basic training and AIT will suck, but believe it or not, it all goes by quick.

Well that’s a relief.

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:
Well that’s a relief. [/quote]

You will be shot at, though.

I just exited active duty in July of 2009. AIT will be significantly different for you than it was for me, since my basic training and AIT were rolled together into Infantry One Station Unit Training (OSUT) at Ft. Benning, GA. From talking with friends of mine though, your AIT should be significantly calmer than basic training, with more of a focus on learning your job. If they don’t let you in the gym to train on your own during AIT, you can be certain you’ll have a “normal” life to train with weights after AIT.

As far as Army gyms go, they’re OK for the most part, unless an entire unit is training there together at once, usually bullshitting around a bench press station, supersetting that with some lame crunches.

Oh, and of course they will be wearing stupid PT gear and reflector belts … if at all possible, try to break your unit’s rules and wear normal friggen’ clothes while you train. You can also usually train at other branch’s gyms, like the Air Force, for a change of pace and scenery.

Let me quench a myth that pervades most people’s opinions of basic training. If you’re a fat bastard, then yes you’ll drop pounds and gain muscle endurance during basic training. However, if you’re a skinny-to-muscular guy, you’ll most likely gain plenty of useless aerobic endurance and muscular endurance, but you’ll probably lose muscle and strength, as well as gain some body fat from all that running and ruck marching.

The chow is terrible for promoting growth, with little protein and tons of refined carbs and trans fats, whether it be from the chow hall or an MRE. Of course, you’ll have to eat it and eat lots of it, just do your best to get back on track after basic and AIT are over.

Your MOS sounds like you’ll get to work with a lot of radios, so if you enjoy that, you’ll enjoy your job. A final piece of advice is to lead by example, whether it be physical training or your job. Don’t drink some other pussy’s kool-aid just because he’s a higher rank than you. Find people who are the most squared-away and latch onto them … learn from them.

Good Luck dude.

Horsepuss, please tell me, where the fuck did you get the idea that I was going to get jacked in basic or AIT? I didn’t even mention basic first off. I’m just asking the actually experienced of what I’m to expect. Thanks.

[quote]Just-Man wrote:
I just exited active duty in July of 2009. AIT will be significantly different for you than it was for me, since my basic training and AIT were rolled together into Infantry One Station Unit Training (OSUT) at Ft. Benning, GA. From talking with friends of mine though, your AIT should be significantly calmer than basic training, with more of a focus on learning your job. If they don’t let you in the gym to train on your own during AIT, you can be certain you’ll have a “normal” life to train with weights after AIT.

As far as Army gyms go, they’re OK for the most part, unless an entire unit is training there together at once, usually bullshitting around a bench press station, supersetting that with some lame crunches.

Oh, and of course they will be wearing stupid PT gear and reflector belts … if at all possible, try to break your unit’s rules and wear normal friggen’ clothes while you train. You can also usually train at other branch’s gyms, like the Air Force, for a change of pace and scenery.

Let me quench a myth that pervades most people’s opinions of basic training. If you’re a fat bastard, then yes you’ll drop pounds and gain muscle endurance during basic training. However, if you’re a skinny-to-muscular guy, you’ll most likely gain plenty of useless aerobic endurance and muscular endurance, but you’ll probably lose muscle and strength, as well as gain some body fat from all that running and ruck marching.

The chow is terrible for promoting growth, with little protein and tons of refined carbs and trans fats, whether it be from the chow hall or an MRE. Of course, you’ll have to eat it and eat lots of it, just do your best to get back on track after basic and AIT are over.

Your MOS sounds like you’ll get to work with a lot of radios, so if you enjoy that, you’ll enjoy your job. A final piece of advice is to lead by example, whether it be physical training or your job. Don’t drink some other pussy’s kool-aid just because he’s a higher rank than you. Find people who are the most squared-away and latch onto them … learn from them.

Good Luck dude.

[/quote]

Amazing first post. Thank You, Sir.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[quote]Just-Man wrote:

Good Luck dude.

[/quote]

Amazing first post. Thank You, Sir.[/quote]

Agreed. Thanks for the info!

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:
Horsepuss, please tell me, where the fuck did you get the idea that I was going to get jacked in basic or AIT? I didn’t even mention basic first off. I’m just asking the actually experienced of what I’m to expect. Thanks.[/quote]

Check your new messages.

The ‘jacked in basic’ comment wasn’t aimed directly at you. There seems to be this pervading myth that while at basic you will have plenty of time to lift and get hyooge. Like its friggin summer camp or something. By the end of the day at basic, you wouldn’t have the energy to even think about a decent lifting session.

As was said above, use that time(basic and AIT) to absorb what is being taught as well as you can. Worry about the other stuff later. Always plan for the worst and sometimes you get pleasantly surprised. Expect to get to AIT and do lame circle jerk PTs. If you are given time to lift(such that it won’t interfere with studying and whatnot), then capitalize.

AIT for me sucked. I hated it. I had a lot more fun in Basic. During basic you are pretty much busy throughout the entire day doing soldier stuff, so time goes by pretty quickly. Basic training was a blast for me.

You’ll have to do KP during AIT. KP fucking sucks. I did a lot of KP during AIT. Just thinking about it makes me want to punch a baby.

You will have some down time in the barracks during AIT, but you won’t be able to go anywhere, except maybe for the movie theater or the mini-PX, so you’ll be spending a lot of your free time in the barracks having to put up with everyone’s stupid shit.

Some barracks might have weightlifting equipment in the common area, but don’t count on it.

You say you’ll have 16 weeks of AIT. I only had 8 (71L), so you might be able to get more and more privileges as your time goes by.

Just don’t let the Drill Sergeants learn your name. I was a ghost for all my time in basic, and most of my time in AIT. Just keep your mouth shut, only speak when spoken to, do everything right the first time (it’s not hard, just pay attention), and never EVER give any Drill Sergeant any attitude. They LOOOOOOOOVE making examples out of recruits with attitudes, and once a Drill Sergeant has you on his/her list - you’re through. They will make your life a living hell.

dude you’re sexy brah.

we should party. fist pump.

good luck

The only reliable advice about the military in general is that you can never believe any advice.

For example, I was told by multiple people just graduating from my base we would have our own kitchens in AIT, but that no one had any cooking utensils. So I showed up at AIT with pots and pans and shit. We did not have kitchens. DIs were not amused.

About lifting: In AIT, I lifted most nights. That, combined with unlimited food from the dining hall, and I bulked a ton. I’ve never heard of anyone lifting weights in basic. That would be retarded.

Here’s my only advice:
Always eat as much as you can, anytime you can, because you never know when some fuckhead next to you is going to cause your whole platoon to be doing PT instead of lunch. If they have a salad bar at your basic (they did at mine for some dumbass reason) consider just downing a bunch of packets of honey mustard sauce (400 cal /each). There were days when we only were given 2 minutes for lunch, and I crammed 1200 calories during that time, while everyone else only got a couple bites. Oh, and always volunteer to serve food if you can–I always did that and would sneak tons of sausage while the DIs weren’t looking.

Oh, and fuck all the advice about the DI not learning your name. I always volunteered and was in charge of the group all through basic and AIT. My experience was harder, but I gained a lot more from it. That is leadership experience, and since I got medically discharged before becoming an NCO, that was the only leadership experience I got from the army.