Join the Quest for a 495lb Deadlift!

3 sets of 15 reps. If the weight seemed to easy I increased it.

Damn, lots of volume. I usually do 4x8 after my Max DL. I have kept the weight at 245. I just recently started doing RDL. I used to do stiff leg DL with much lighter weight.

My deadlift has increased but it is miserable. I hit 455 a couple months ago. Last week 410 felt terrible. I had to grind through it.

Hit 220kg (=485lbs) this last weekend. Got 227.5kg up to my knees but was too tired at that point to keep going. Will be back in 7 weeks to hopefully report a 230kg (507lbs) pull at my meet.

I’m feeling confident of hitting this in a few months. Recently hit 205 kg with my sumo for a single and it was a breeze; going to go for 215 kg (473 lbs) at the end of this mesocycle. I think switching to sumo as my main deadlift variation really helped me bust out of my last plateau.

It’s a huge difference . On a heavy double my second rep is often better form wise and easier .

[quote]Nate112 wrote:

[quote]BEAR BORN wrote:

[quote]Nate112 wrote:
here’s me grabbing 405 for 8, form gets a little shotty at the end haha, I can do 465 x3, it’s confusing me why I haven’t been able to bump up to 495 yet, it’s fucking infuriating.

Sorry about it being sideways guys.

I’m so in for this comp.[/quote]

You should stop taking the bar out of the racks for deadlifts, it’s making the pull easier and you are doing touch and go reps (which aren’t wrong or anything but you are not pulling from a dead stop for most of the reps. Try dead stop reps for a few weeks from the floor and be prepared to be humbled.
If you find your strength off the floor to be shit after a month of this, try some deficit pulls.
Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve been meaning to do it from ground level for a while now, I just feel more comfortable doing it from the pins, I’m not quite sure how the touch and go will really make a huge difference, but hell I’ll try dead stops.[/quote]

^

Welcome back to the PL forums!

I just got my first 505lb pull. I struggled for a long long time, but I got it.

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:
Worked up to 405 for two sets of three today…I have never attempted a deadlift of over 350 in my life and this is only the third week I have resumed deadlifting in about a year (I have a serious hip problem). Saw this thread before my workout and figured I would go for it. Hoping to continue my quick progress.[/quote]

Well less than 2 months after this post and I have reached 500. Do not know how I got there so quick. Probably just getting the form down and hardening the fuck up.

I’m in on this now I’ve broken the 405lbs barrier. Turns out your deadlift doesn’t just increase as your squat goes up, you have to actually train it. It’s steaming along now anyway, my old max was 175kg, last week I got 175kg for 5, then 185kg/407lbs for a single. Going for 200kg by Christmas

hit 470 today! i had a little more in me too, wasnt a grinder at all. 500 by christmas is looking better and better. joker sets for the win, squat and deadlift pr in same week

35lbs to go

Count me in… last week I hit 475… today 450 for a double. So give me 2 weeks and that 500 lb pull is mine…

180kg x 5, then 190kg for a single

Looking good!!

I pulled 275 yesterday. 495 is my goal. I’m in.

Hit 445x3 today with 1-2 in the tank. Should be getting close to 495 soon. Vids in my log

I did 315 today. That will soon change.

[quote]budreiser wrote:
Hit 445x3 today with 1-2 in the tank. Should be getting close to 495 soon. Vids in my log[/quote]

You’re probably already there. That’s probably about where I’m at right now. Maybe slightly better. While I haven’t officially pulled 495 yet, I pulled 220kg (485lbs) a couple of months ago and again at a meet more recently. I have never failed this weight (or below it), and the second time felt dead easy, like I could’ve gone for a double. Bar speed was very quick and form didn’t deteriorate at all from what I heard (unfortunately, the video camera died by this point, so no vid :frowning: ), so I’m sure I could hit over 500 on a good day. Thinking I might make try and make it official before the end of the year, when I finish my training cycle and have some time to play around. That and try and get a 405 squat (that one I’m feeling decent about, but not quite as confident).

Maybe I’m weird, though. Because I find deadlifting for reps may not be a good indicator of 1RM. I find I’m really good at deadlifting for really high (8+) or low (1-2) reps, but my 3-7RMs are probably within 15kg of each other.

Just hit 502 lbs. today for a 61 lb PR!

I hit a 465 at a meet recently, have plenty more in me it seems.