Join the Marines

[quote]spyoptic wrote:

[quote]Artem wrote:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Aren’t you a drug dealer?[/quote]
Was, a while ago. It’s a long story. Pushed for like a year. Police came to my house said it’s a designated drug house and they’re coming back with a warrant. So I pushed it all off cheap that night and quit. Chilled on the money for a while, while in college. Spent most of it on college, plane tickets, recording equipment, clothes, shades, and other unnecessary shit.

Anyways, fast forward a few months. Artem thinks he’s invincible, still, and goes and gets arrested twice in the same night; they were straight fucking with me, I swear. Because they know what car I drive. Like half of the charges will be dropped, but I am still in serious need for money right now. And my next college semester is coming up.

So I’m applying at every job in sight right now and not spending money on shit. Really don’t want to have to start pushing again to come up with this lawyer money because that shit will end poorly.

I’ve just looked over my life lately. I’m almost an adult and while I may think I have a ton of potential/be the shit, I have nothing legitimate to show for my life so far. And I’m just tired of my life right now. This shit is stale and it bores me. I want to get the fuck out of here. Joining the Marines looks like a great option right now.

Now, could we please turn page 2 of this thread into a serious page, rather than a make fun of Artem and exchange inside jokes thread?[/quote]

read my posts, if you want stability and an environment to get your shit together the Air Force is probably the better option. Plus more money. And women. Nice people.[/quote]
Where should I do my research on the different branches? I’d like to be educated before I go and speak with a recruiter. All I know is that Army is the grunts, Marines and Navy are always bitching at who’s more awesome, and the Air Force has jets and Professor X.

Can’t say much about the Marines, I am Army personally- but the military squared me away. If you really feel your life could change for the better with it, then do it. You should know it is not going to be easy, just don’t quit and keep going. Remember eventually everything ends just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I say go for it.

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:

[quote]Artem wrote:
I’m considering joining the Marines. I’m 18 in 4 months. Anybody here a Marine? How is/was your experience?

My plan is to get in there for 4 years and get my shit together and come out with some money saved, future education paid for, and some basic respect amongst society.
Thoughts?
Thank you,[/quote]

Boot Camp is fun! They yell at you sometimes, but always apologize. At night you get to play Xbox and drink soda.

Do it !![/quote]

LOL Is that right? Sounds a lot like when I would go stay at my best friend’s house back in the 4th grade. Are there comic books there too?

Too bad I’m too old to join up.

[quote]barbarianlifter wrote:
Can’t say much about the Marines, I am Army personally- but the military squared me away. If you really feel your life could change for the better with it, then do it. You should know it is not going to be easy, just don’t quit and keep going. Remember eventually everything ends just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I say go for it.[/quote]

I can’t really see any non-specialty branch of the military being all too challenging. More like annoying with all the rules and whatnot. I’m in it to:

1. Get away from everything and everyone in my life for a few years.
  2. Get the charges I will most likely be convicted of expunged.
  3. college paid for
  4. some money saved meanwhile

I bet I’d meet some great people along the way, but reform is not my primary reason for wanting to enlist.

I wouldn’t join the military with the expectation that they will just magically change your life for the better. You have to want to do it on your own. There are still dirtbags in the military, there are always some that squeek by. It is real easy to get sucked into hanging out with the wrong joes in the military just like on the street. It is also real easy to blow all of your money on beer and strippers. Many people join the military with the expectation that they will be able to save all of this money, but it rarely happens.
If you’re just looking for a job without too much hassle, listen to everyone else and join the chairforce.
If you’re thinking of joining the Marines to just pay the bills, think again.
If you join the army, you have to go airborne, cause if you ain’t airborne, you ain’t shit. :slight_smile:
Honestly, everyone I’ve ever talked to who was in the coast guard loves it.

Pick an MOS (job) that sounds interesting to you and seems like something you could spend 3-6 years of your life doing.

You might want to look into some military blogs, like at military.com, and see if you can talk with more people who are currently enlisted. They’ll be straight with you most of the time.

All of the branches have their own drawbacks and benefits. Just remember the recruiters are all salesmen (they have quotas) and they will push the jobs that their bosses tell them to. But you, the recruit, ultimately have the final say in what you want to do. Don’t let them push you around.

Lastly, I suggest you have some sort of patriotic reason for joining as well. If you do it just for money, college etc., you’ll likely be a shitbag. If you don’t think you’ll feel proud putting that uniform on every day, or at least most days, you should look into other careers.

[quote]redleg32002000 wrote:
I wouldn’t join the military with the expectation that they will just magically change your life for the better. You have to want to do it on your own. There are still dirtbags in the military, there are always some that squeek by. It is real easy to get sucked into hanging out with the wrong joes in the military just like on the street. It is also real easy to blow all of your money on beer and strippers. Many people join the military with the expectation that they will be able to save all of this money, but it rarely happens.
If you’re just looking for a job without too much hassle, listen to everyone else and join the chairforce.
If you’re thinking of joining the Marines to just pay the bills, think again.
If you join the army, you have to go airborne, cause if you ain’t airborne, you ain’t shit. :slight_smile:
Honestly, everyone I’ve ever talked to who was in the coast guard loves it.

Pick an MOS (job) that sounds interesting to you and seems like something you could spend 3-6 years of your life doing.

You might want to look into some military blogs, like at military.com, and see if you can talk with more people who are currently enlisted. They’ll be straight with you most of the time.

All of the branches have their own drawbacks and benefits. Just remember the recruiters are all salesmen (they have quotas) and they will push the jobs that their bosses tell them to. But you, the recruit, ultimately have the final say in what you want to do. Don’t let them push you around.

Lastly, I suggest you have some sort of patriotic reason for joining as well. If you do it just for money, college etc., you’ll likely be a shitbag. If you don’t think you’ll feel proud putting that uniform on every day, or at least most days, you should look into other careers. [/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I’ll check out those forums.
But yeah, the reason for joining is anything but patriotic. Fuck this country’s politics and legal system anally. I was just stupid and slipped up and this is looking like the best way to fix it.

This one motherfucker I used to pick up from gets off of anything police get him with and he tried to give me his lawyer’s number just now over the phone. I called and it was an old Asian man. I think I’ll call him tomorrow when he’s not retarded at a party and it takes him 10 minutes to figure out who he’s on the phone with.

[quote]Artem wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:

[quote]Artem wrote:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Aren’t you a drug dealer?[/quote]
Was, a while ago. It’s a long story. Pushed for like a year. Police came to my house said it’s a designated drug house and they’re coming back with a warrant. So I pushed it all off cheap that night and quit. Chilled on the money for a while, while in college. Spent most of it on college, plane tickets, recording equipment, clothes, shades, and other unnecessary shit.

Anyways, fast forward a few months. Artem thinks he’s invincible, still, and goes and gets arrested twice in the same night; they were straight fucking with me, I swear. Because they know what car I drive. Like half of the charges will be dropped, but I am still in serious need for money right now. And my next college semester is coming up.

So I’m applying at every job in sight right now and not spending money on shit. Really don’t want to have to start pushing again to come up with this lawyer money because that shit will end poorly.

I’ve just looked over my life lately. I’m almost an adult and while I may think I have a ton of potential/be the shit, I have nothing legitimate to show for my life so far. And I’m just tired of my life right now. This shit is stale and it bores me. I want to get the fuck out of here. Joining the Marines looks like a great option right now.

Now, could we please turn page 2 of this thread into a serious page, rather than a make fun of Artem and exchange inside jokes thread?[/quote]

read my posts, if you want stability and an environment to get your shit together the Air Force is probably the better option. Plus more money. And women. Nice people.[/quote]
Where should I do my research on the different branches? I’d like to be educated before I go and speak with a recruiter. All I know is that Army is the grunts, Marines and Navy are always bitching at who’s more awesome, and the Air Force has jets and Professor X.[/quote]

FYI: Marines might be pissed you didn’t include them in the “grunts” group.

[quote]Artem wrote:

Sure, why not?

Some things to consider-

What makes you think that joining the military will “straighten your life out.”. Shouldn’t you have your shit some resemblance of together Before you join?

It sounds like you have a lot of stressors and problems that are not the armed services job to solve.

Do you actually want to serve your country, or do you just want to escape the problems you have?

Never once in any previous post have you indicated that you wanted to serve anything but yourself. Does sacrificing the next four years of your life and doing what ever you are told to do, when ever you are told to do it seem like your cup of tea?

If not, then don’t go.

What ^ said.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]Artem wrote:

Sure, why not?

Some things to consider-

What makes you think that joining the military will “straighten your life out.”. Shouldn’t you have your shit some resemblance of together Before you join?

It sounds like you have a lot of stressors and problems that are not the armed services job to solve.

Do you actually want to serve your country, or do you just want to escape the problems you have?

Never once in any previous post have you indicated that you wanted to serve anything but yourself. Does sacrificing the next four years of your life and doing what ever you are told to do, when ever you are told to do it seem like your cup of tea?

If not, then don’t go.[/quote]
I don’t think being in the military for 4 years would be a horrible experience, regardless of the reason. And then there’s the perks.

I’m not American but I am kinda curious at how your guys’ defensive branches work. So if you enlist in the Army/Marine/Airforce whatever you obviously do your training but what else do you supplement that with? Do you get free college courses? And if so I’d imagine it’d be longer to get your degree compared to if you weren’t enlisted. What about income? Do you get jobs/apply for work or do they pay for you to train?

Cheers

quick newsflash for artem. Have fun trying to join with any sort of arrest record and nothing more to offer than escaping your shitty life. Air force is very hard to get arrest waivers for, as is the marines now a days.

Which imo is retarded considering the marines of old were criminals and lunatics. I think 95% of them are fucking pussies now.

edit: And the general person whose head isn’t up his ass pays for school through student loans, not selling drugs.

Sky, thats a very very good post. artem, you make it sound as if its a very easy way out. but you’ve got to think if youre ready for it physically and especially mentally. 4 years is a looooooooooooooong time.

Artem, WHY do you want to join the marines?

Just fyi, you won’t magically get “fixed” by boot camp. Well, for a month or 2 you will be. Then you’ll start slipping back into your old ways, trust me.

Mommy can’t fix you. Programs and books can’t fix you. The Marines can’t fix you.

YOU can fix you, and that is all.

[quote]LTKO wrote:
Sky, thats a very very good post. artem, you make it sound as if its a very easy way out. but you’ve got to think if youre ready for it physically and especially mentally. 4 years is a looooooooooooooong time.[/quote]

I’ve thought plenty, man. It just doesn’t translate to my posts. I don’t see many other options, either.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

Just fyi, you won’t magically get “fixed” by boot camp. Well, for a month or 2 you will be. Then you’ll start slipping back into your old ways, trust me.

Mommy can’t fix you. Programs and books can’t fix you. The Marines can’t fix you.

YOU can fix you, and that is all. [/quote]

I’m not trying to “fix” myself. I see no glaring flaws in my character, values, etc., that I don’t already recognize, at least. I want to re-set a lot of shit about my life. New job, location, age, etc. And I need shit cleared off my police record.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

YOU can fix you, and that is all. [/quote]

btw jacked

Artem,

Are you fucking crazy?
Why aren’t you getting a respectable job instead of joining the governments killers?
Haven’t you got any sense of selfrespect? You are seriously going to let Obama and his gang of murderous warmongering thugs decide what you are going to do, what country you’re going to invade next? Are you willing to give your life for this coersive vile and violent cult called the state? Are you willing to go overseas and fight in illegal wars? What people like you are doing is not “defending the united states of america” or “defending freedom” or “fighting terrorism”. Thats one big lie. Are you willing to become even more a slave?
You people need to get your heads out of your asses!

Get a job with a privately owned company and make your life a productive, peaceful and happy one. Please don’t be the parasite that feeds of the stolen money (taxdollars) from the productive class.

And this goes for all you military guys (and girls) out there. You people need to understand the true nature of the government.
It’s not out there to help you, it’s out there to tax, regulate and enslave you. You guys are feeding and empowering the real terrorists of this world. Raghead and Osama are NOTHING compared to YOUR government, and they care even less about you then your so called enemies.
PLEASE! don’t participate in violence to solve your problems! In 4 years you could have a well payed job and a good amount of savings in you bankaccount. Probably even sooner! I’ll only work if you work hard and save money.

You might be shocked about my opinion but that’s ok. You’ve probably never been in contact with my way of thinking.
I’m an anarchist, supporter of true freedom, not the slavery that people these days call freedom.

Please think about it. Please don’t right it off like it’s some crazy idea. Civilisation was created in anarchy and thus precedes the state and all it’s bullshit.

P.S. I’d rather have you selling drugs then joining the Marines dude.

Artem- if you do join, try to come out to Japan. I have been a US Marine for 12 years. My first impulse was to tell you to piss off, we don’t want you, based on your posts. However, that’s bullshit, and flaming some young guy on the Internet is not going to help you make well-informed decisions. I will put this out there, the Marines are for those looking for the intangible qualities, not simple govt benifits. PM me if you want honest answers from a career Marine

[quote]Erasmus wrote:
Artem,

Are you fucking crazy?
Why aren’t you getting a respectable job instead of joining the governments killers?
Haven’t you got any sense of selfrespect? You are seriously going to let Obama and his gang of murderous warmongering thugs decide what you are going to do, what country you’re going to invade next? Are you willing to give your life for this coersive vile and violent cult called the state? Are you willing to go overseas and fight in illegal wars? What people like you are doing is not “defending the united states of america” or “defending freedom” or “fighting terrorism”. Thats one big lie. Are you willing to become even more a slave?
You people need to get your heads out of your asses!

Get a job with a privately owned company and make your life a productive, peaceful and happy one. Please don’t be the parasite that feeds of the stolen money (taxdollars) from the productive class.

And this goes for all you military guys (and girls) out there. You people need to understand the true nature of the government.
It’s not out there to help you, it’s out there to tax, regulate and enslave you. You guys are feeding and empowering the real terrorists of this world. Raghead and Osama are NOTHING compared to YOUR government, and they care even less about you then your so called enemies.
PLEASE! don’t participate in violence to solve your problems! In 4 years you could have a well payed job and a good amount of savings in you bankaccount. Probably even sooner! I’ll only work if you work hard and save money.

You might be shocked about my opinion but that’s ok. You’ve probably never been in contact with my way of thinking.
I’m an anarchist, supporter of true freedom, not the slavery that people these days call freedom.

Please think about it. Please don’t right it off like it’s some crazy idea. Civilisation was created in anarchy and thus precedes the state and all it’s bullshit.

P.S. I’d rather have you selling drugs then joining the Marines dude.

[/quote]

This tickled me. And I’m not ticklish.

Artem, as someone who is currently in the Army (12 years), I can say that you will have to be ready to sacrifice a lot. Do you think you can fit into someone else’s vision? Are you able to conform? If not, then joining the military is not the answer. It took me 12 years to figure this out. Some people are able to do it, and I say “hooah” to them. But, it just isn’t the path I needed to be on. As for nationalism, I can see this, however, for all intents and purposes, nationalism is a fleeting thing. Look at your situation, look at what you want to do, what you are willing to do, what you are willing to sacrifice, and most importantly, where your head is at. 8 years is a long time to give. Yes, it will be 8 years, as 4 will be active, and the other 4 will be inactive, but with the current climate, don’t count on being inactive for too long. Do your research, both outward and in.