Join a Club or Buy Weights?

Another big variable that no one has mentioned: WHEN do you want to workout? I have pretty flexible hours so I take my lunch break early (10AM) or late (2PM). That way I have a near empty gym, but enough people for spotting if needed. More importantly, I get my workout in early and don’t have to worry about going out with friends or having an after work beer causing me to skip it. I also find the time frame keeps me focused and efficient in the gym and provides a nice midday lift (pun intended). If you have a convenient club near work and flexible hours (or an understanding boss) it’s a great option.

Join a gym.

Work Out

After a year or two of serious dedication you could buy your own weights.

Think about it. He is deciding to start working out, what if he doesn’t stick with it? He might as well join a gym for a while and pay a monthly fee until he knows he is going to make this a commitment.

if i were you i would first buy weights. you should be able to by a basic bench with a leg attachment and some dumbells for around $250 more or less. shop around, you did not say where you are from, but around here Big 5 sporting goods and Walmart. allways have good specials on weight benches especially around christmas time.
A good gym membership is going to run you around $150 down and about $40 per month and up.