John's Training Log - Road to 225-315-405

Are you currently running 531? I’m scheduled for a deload next week and shopping for the next template to use - I’m eyeing BBB but I really enjoy the PR sets, guess I have to stick to PR sets + 5x5FSL.

An extremely mangled version, yes.

If you think you can stick to BBB, there’s no reason you can’t run it with PR sets. It’s how it was laid out in the first 2 books, and how i’ve run it. Jim seems to recommend 5s PRO, but that doesn’t mean the old methods don’t still work. Try it and find out.

Yeah, I’ve been reading a lot about the 5s PRO + BBB. I guess there’s no harm in trying, I’ll see if I can handle 50% for the BBB sets. Appreciate it man!

No worries man.

Deload
Squats 135x3 155x3 175x3
Back Raises 50 reps
Abs 60 reps
Leg extension 60 reps

Monday
DB Bench 60 reps
Lat Pulldown 60 reps
Dip Machine 75 reps
Curls 60 reps

1 Like

Some solid work in here. Well done mate.

Thanks for dropping by!

Deload Deadlift and OHP
Deadlift 185x3 205x3 225x3 245x3
OHP 65x3 75x3 85x3 95x3
Row - rest pause, 45 reps total
Curl RP - 30 reps total
Abs 45 reps

Have you decided which template you’ll switch to?

I’m still choosing between BBB Beefcake, BBB from the 1st book or the 3 day full body for beginners. My biggest deciding factor is that the missus is going to give birth anytime now, so it’s possible I won’t be able to commit to the gym that much.

2 Likes

Oh I see. Congrats then! Hope everything will go well. Not sure about the other templates as I have never used them but you can make the beginner’s template work with just 2 days. Progress will be slow, but hey at least it works

Thanks man. I still have no clue how’s the sleep gonna be once the baby comes, so I might just go with the 2 or 3 day templates for now.

1 Like

Maybe think about doing 531 with 5 x 5 FSL in a day two day template. Squat and bench one day and deadlift and OH in the other. Even with a young baby you should be able to squeeze in 2 sessions in a week.

Congrats with the baby.

I was about to write the same as Simo, do it 2 days a week.
There’s so many templates out there for 531. Just keep it simple, PR on main lift, then the rest will come, either do 5x5 5x10, 1xSSL+1xFSL, try the 50 reps in as few sets as possible.
It’s really just a matter about being consistent.
Good luck with the baby and your training.

1 Like

That sounds good, will look into doing that. The wife said just to continue doing 4 days/week until the baby comes out. Gives me about 1 or 2 weeks of solid 4 days per week training.

1 Like

Thanks man! I may be overthinking this a bit too much.
50 reps in a few sets as possible is done with FSL weights right?

Congratulations man.

Remember nearly any template can be spread over a longer time period if needed, especially when recovery is a challenge.

1 Like

Thanks! Will keep that in mind once getting sleep becomes a challenge.

FSL weight would be Jims first choice as far as I remember, but I’m pretty sure he said you can do it with
SSL as well, so can 50%.
Hell I think he has a template saying main lift 10 reps as few sets as possible or as fast as possible.

Don’t overthink it, be stronger on the main lift, grease the groove with FSL or SSL. Build muscles and make a strong core with assistance.
Main lift is the important stuff this is where you put all effort into.
FSL SSL is not as important and assistance is just that assistance.

It’s so easy to get lost with all the options with 531. So this is what Jim refers to as majoring in minors haha Thanks for the reminder. Hopefully I will be as strong as you guys here one day.

1 Like