T Nation

John Wilkes Booth's Dad

Interesting bit of political history (not the Marxist kind):

Dismissed for 175 years as a fake, a letter threatening the assassination of President Andrew Jackson has been found to be authentic. And, says the director of the Andrew Jackson Papers Project at the University of Tennessee, the writer was none other than Junius Brutus Booth, father of Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth.

Sic semper tyrannis

So do you think the son was influenced by the father's failed aspirations? Or is this just one hell of a coincidence?

...You're sure this isn't BS? I mean, Junius Brutus Booth. Really?

Seems too good to be true, don't it?

Well, I can't verify whether it is BS, other than to say this is no fringe website and the conclusions were made by a research group associated by UT.

The name isn't concerning to me - he was London-born and was a man of the stage, and there were kookier names back then than even this.

Influenced by failed aspirations? Maybe - never forget Jackson had a dress rehearsal of secession with the Nullification Crisis and Jackson was Lincoln's heir in that sense. I have no special knowledge - but how could the apple fall from the tree, I think?

I'd be interested in reading a John Wilkes Booth bio to see where his father has fit in up to this point, based on what we know.

I quickly see this thread getting into conspiracy mode. Let's hope not, but then, what's a scholarly source versus a whacko source? Peer-reviewed is a good start.

Booth the Elder was a Shakespearean actor.

Can there be any doubt but that he played his namesake in Julius Caesar one or two times too many?

And is it only a coincidence that Caesar was assassinated on the Ides of March, while Lincoln met his end on the Ides of April?

I think NOT!!

From left: John Wilkes Booth, Edwin Booth, and Junius Brutus Booth.

No shit.

I rest my case.

this whole thread is hilarious. good show gents

According to the rules of war at the time, Lincoln was a war criminal and should have been hung. Booth should not have taken the law into his own hands but Lincoln, Sherman, Grant, Sheridan, were war criminals.

"This 1758 work by Swiss legal philosopher Emmerich de Vattel is of special importance to scholars of constitutional history and law, for it was read by many of the Founders of the United States of America, and informed their understanding of the principles of law which became established in the Constitution of 1787. Chitty's notes and the appended commentaries by Edward D. Ingraham, used in lectures at William and Mary College, provide a valuable perspective on Vattel's exposition from the viewpoint of American jurists who had adapted those principles to the American legal experience."

It was consider criminal by many nations to attack cities, unarmed civilians, or to destroy private property.

Henry Halleck used the above text to teach the men at West Point how to properly conduct a war. Obviously, all that went out the window when power-mad empire builders like Lincoln came along. I think he sold his soul to the railroads and bankers, to establish the precedent for empire.

He should have been hung.

Fractional Banking and the Gold Standard.

Both presidents favored a gold standard, keeping the American economy independent of European bankers, aka the Rockafellars and Rothchild's, who had a stranglehold on european economies.

The Boothes were affiliated with the Rockafellars.

See Federal Reserve.