T Nation

John Otis Hollywood Training System Thoughts ?

He is a pretty well known coach now and trained the likes of Marc Lobliner, Chris Jones and Frank Yang. If you look at his client testimonials he has gotten some people in pretty amazing shape. I found 2 of his routines online which are based on PHAT style training.

The first is 1 upper+1 lower body power workouts and a PPL hypertrophy structure.

The second is 1 upper+1 lower body power workouts and a upper lower hypertrophy structure.

What are you guys thoughts on this style routine, I just ran a full body split for several months and hit a plateau and think its time for a change. I looked at Laynes PHAT but the exercise selection isn't as appealing as JOH's.

The J.O.H.W Training System 1

Day #1 Upperbody (Strength Workout)
Lat Pulldowns 2 sets 4-6 reps
Barbell Bent-Over Rows or DB rows 2-3 sets 3-5 reps
Incline Chest Press 2-3 sets 3-5 reps
DB or Cable Flyes 2 sets 6-8 reps
Machine Side Lateral Raises- 3 sets 8-10 reps
Face Pulls 2 sets 8-10 reps
EZ Barbell Curls 2 sets 4-6 reps
Rope Pushdowns 2 sets 8-10 reps
DB Shrugs 2 sets 6-8 reps

Day #2 Lowerbody (Strength Workout)
Back or Front Squats 2-3 sets 3-5 reps
Leg Presses 2 sets 6-8 reps
Heavy Leg Extensions 2 sets 4-8 reps
Lying Leg Curls 2-3 sets 6-8 reps
SLDL 2 sets 6-8 reps
Standing Calf-Raises 2 set 6-8 reps
Calf-Raises In The Leg Press Machine 2 sets 8-10 reps

First 2 days try and go 85-90% of your max.

Day#3 - Chest & Delts & Tris (Hypertrophy Workout) (last set of the mentioned exercises go to failure)
Incline, Flat or Decline Bench Press 3-4 sets 6-10 reps *** go to failure on last set
Incline, Flat or Decline DB or Cable Flyes 2 sets 8-15 reps
Cable Crossovers or Peck Deck Machine 2 sets 10-15 rep
Smith Machine Shoulder Press or DB Shoulder Press 3-4 sets 6-10 reps
DB Side-Laterals GIANT Sets 3 triple drop sets each set, 10 reps each
One Hand Rope or Cable Pushdowns 2 sets 10-15 reps
Incline or Flat Skull Crushers 3-4 sets 6-10 reps

Day#4- Back & Rear Delts & Bis & Traps (Hypertrophy Workout)
Underhand Pulldowns 3 sets 8-10 reps *** go to failure on last set
Barbell Bent-Over Rows or DB Rows 3-4 sets 6-10 reps
Cable Rows 2 sets 8-12 reps
Machine Pullovers 2 sets 8-12 reps
DB Bent-Over Flies 3 sets suppersetted w/ reverse peck-deck flies 8-15 reps
DB Curls or some variation of it 3 sets 8-12 reps
Hammer Curls or Rope Hammer Curls 2 sets 8-12 reps
DB or BB Shrugs 3 sets 8-15 reps

Day #5 Legs (Hypertrophy Workout)
Squats (Back or Front) 10-15 reps 3-4 sets *** Try and go to failure in the last set.
Hack Squats 10-15 reps 2 sets
Walking Lunges 3 sets (about 30-40 steps)
Leg Extensions 10-25 reps ?? 3 sets
Standing Leg Curls 10-15 reps 2 sets
Seated Leg Curls 10-15 reps 3 sets
SLDL 10-15 reps 2 sets
Standing Calf-Raises 12-20 reps 3 sets
Seated Calf-Raises 12-20 reps 2-3 sets

Last 3 days go about 70-75% of your max Use drop sets whenever you feel like You can use other exercises instead of the ones mentioned, just make sure its the same movement pattern. Example You dont wanna do Barbell Incline Chest presses, go for DB incline Chest presses, etc.

JOH Workout 2

Day #1 - Upperbody (Strenght workout) *Explosive concentrics & 1-2 sec. holds on eccentrics.

Flat or Incline Barbell Chest Press ? 2 to 3 sets - 3-5 reps
Dumbell or Cable Flyes - 2 sets - 5-7 reps
Wide Grip Front Lat Pulldowns - 2 sets - 4-6 reps
Barbell Bent-over Rows or One arm Dumbell Rows ? 2 to 3 sets - 3-5 reps
Machine side Lateral raises - 3 sets - 6-8 reps
Rope Face Pulls - 2 sets - 6-8 reps
EZ Barbell Curls - 2 sets - 3-5 reps
Barbell Skull Crushers - 2 sets - 3-6 reps
Dumbell or Barbell shrugs - 2 sets - 4-8 reps

Day #2 - Lowerbody (Strenght workout) *Explosive concentrics & 1-2 sec. holds on eccentrics.

Back or Barbell Front Squats ? 2 to 3 sets - 3-5 reps
Leg Presses - 2 sets ? 4 to 8 reps
Hack Squats - 2 sets - 3 to 5 reps
Lying leg curls ? 2 sets ? 5 to 7 reps
Barbell or Dumbell Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 2 sets ? 3 to 6 reps
Standing calf-raises - 2 sets ? 5 reps
Calf-raises in the Leg press machine - 2 sets ? 6 reps

** First two days try and perform 85-90% of your Rep max.

Rest day (Wednesday)

Day #3 ? Upperbody (Hyperthrophy workout) * 3-4 sec. holds on eccentrics.
(last set of the mentioned exercises seek failure)

Flat, Incline or Decline Barbell Bench Press ? 3 sets - 4 to 8 reps ***Seek failure on last set
Flat, Incline or Decline Dumbell or Cable Flyes - 2 sets - 8 to 15 reps
Weighted Dips - 2 sets ? 10 to 15 reps
Barbell Bent-Over Rows or One arm Dumbell Rows ? 3 sets ? 5 to 10 reps *** Seek failure on last set, strip sets
Underhand Wide Grip Pulldowns - 2 sets ? 8 to 10 reps
Smith Machine Shoulder Press or Dumbell Shoulder Press ? 3 sets ? 5 to 10 reps
Dumbell side-laterals GIANT sets - 3 triple drop sets each set, 10 reps each
Dumbell Bent-Over Rear Delt flyes - 3 sets superset w/ Reverse Peck-Deck Flyes ? 8 to 15 reps
Dumbell Curls or some variation of it - 2 sets ? 6 to 12 reps
Hammer Curls or Rope Hammer Curls - 2 sets ? 6 to 12 reps
Rope or Cable Pushdowns - 2 sets ? 10 to 15 reps
Flat or Incline Barbell Skull Crushers - 3 sets ? 6 to 10 reps
Dumbell or Barbell Shrugs - 2 sets ? 6 to 15 reps

Day #4 ? Lowerbody (Hyperthrophy workout) * 3-4 sec. holds on eccentrics.
(last set of the mentioned exercises seek failure)

Barbell Squats (back or front) ? 10 to 15 reps - 3 sets *** Try and go to failure in the last set.
Hack Squats ? 8 to 15 reps - 2 sets
Dumbell Walking Lunges - 2 sets (about 30-40 steps)
Leg extensions ? 10 to 25 reps - 2 sets
Lying Leg Curls ? 10 to 25 reps ? 2 sets
Standing leg curls ? 10 to 15 reps each leg - 1 set
Seated Leg Curls ? 10 to 15 reps - 2 sets
Stiff Legged Deadlifts or Sumo Deadlifts ? 8 to 15 reps - 2 sets
Standing calf-raises ? 12 to 25 reps - 2 sets
Seated calf-raises ? 12 to 25 reps - 1 set
Calf-raises in the leg press machine ? 30 reps to failure ? 1 set

Last 3 days seek about 70-75% of your Rep Max. Make use of drop sets whenever you feel like.

ADD much?

And you plateau on two months?

Go back to your previous posts. Lots of excellent advice already given and actually follow them.

You will get better results following a bad work out consistently then following the best program inconsistently.

The word of the day is consistency.

Fuck it, ill be blunt: You did not stall after two months. Your diet is shit or whatever. There is no magic pill. It takes time to build what you are looking for. Think years at the speed you are going. Or less, if you start following the advice given already.

Good luck.

I hit a plateau in terms of strength which is expected since I was on a 700 cal deficit during my 3 day full body routine.

My aim at the time was getting leaner and stronger and maintaining my size which I managed to do.

Since I got such rapid strength gains once I switched from a 5 day 1x/week frequency to a 3 day 3x/week frequency, Im somewhat conditioned to believe that switching a routine causes faster gains in strength/size :stuck_out_tongue:

Instead of switching routines again should I continue on my full body routine and the strength gains will come back when I am in a calorie surplus ?

THIS! And it's something I've said numerous times in the past.

The key to getting results is to do hard, focused work day in an day out and stick with it longer than everybody else!

Provided that it's not completely dumb, anything will work provided that you do enough of it, hard enough, well enough and for long enough.

There really are no magic programs. You know I shouldn't tell you this since I'm paid to write programs (well that's one aspect of my job) but the REAL reason why people get superior results from "celebrity programs" (here I mean programs written by well-known experts) or well marketed programs (think tons of acronyms and fancy words) is that they give you confidence that you will get results and that leads to becoming more motivated to train. If you are motivated you train harder. If you train harder you get more results. Then it becomes a cycle... you get more results so you become even more confident in the program, which get you even more motivated, etc. You see the pattern.

But really anything that get you to train hard will give you results provided that you recover well too. For example if you don't eat enough, if your peri-workout protocol is not in order, if you don't get enough rest then you might have lowered results or no results whatsoever.

Also understand that all physical improvements come in spurts: gaining strength, adding muscle, losing fat. None of these are linear (except maybe as a beginner). What happens is that over a very short period of time you will have a rapid rate of progress... maybe over a 2-3 weeks period you gain 3-4lbs of muscle and add 10% to your bog lifts. Then for 4-6 weeks you might have a very very slow rate of progress, or even no progress at all. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere you have another spurt of progress even though you didn't do anything different. When progression stops just keep working hard, gains will come.

The problem is that most people get amped up during the quick gain period nd they start to extrapolate. "I added 4lbs of muscle in 3 weeks and gained 10% on my big lifts... I should gain at least another 5lbs and 10% over the next 6 weeks"... we all do it to some extent. But when the gains don't happen as we projected our motivation goes down the drain, we start to have less drive and focus while training and we scramble around looking for a new cutting edge program to do the job.

Listen those who stay the course the longest... those who have no ups or down.. those who keep plugging away with a singleness of purpose day-in and day-out will get the best gains. THAT'S THE ONLY SECRET THERE IS.

Yeah!!

I feel this thread should be a sticky.

There's a key point you missed in your last thread. You even commented on it at the time. I can't find the exact post but I recall you said something to the effect of "i think I'm only getting neural gains" regarding your gains in strength.

You have quite a bit of muscle mass. You don't really "need" to gain more mass to gain strength. Beginners, they do need to gain mass to gain strength. You don't. You have the potential to improve your strength a lot on all the lifts solely relying on neural gains.

The way this all ties together is, neural gains happen faster when you train more frequently. You gained strength switching to higher frequency only because higher frequency will improve strength neurally when you already have sufficient mass in all the individual muscles involved. But that doesn't mean switching to something else now, or switching programs every 2 months, is going to lead to better strength gains

As a learning tool I think you'd be better off sticking with one routine for a while and manipulating your diet and training volume/intensity for different goals. If you're cutting, eat a deficit and cut back on volume a little. If you're trying to gain scale the volume up and eat a lot more. Figure out how to do that. No need to completely change routines to make it work