John Meadows Style of Training

Hi guys

Been reading some of John Meadows MoutainDog articles on arms, shoulder, legs ,etc
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried any of his routine and also their experience with it an if they saw any results?

Thanks in advanced.

JM is the man.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
JM is the man.[/quote]

Amen

I converted from Dorian Yates HIT style of training to his Mountain Dog style about 9 months ago.

I love the results…I train more oftern, 6 days a week and my joints have never felt better. The pumps are INSANE !!

I realize it’s the “hawt fad” right now or whatever, but I just absolutely love it. My joints, tendons, and overall “injuriness” (I’m very prone to it) have all thanked me and the training style has honestly been a godsend.

As I alluded to in another thread, however, using more weight is still/should ALWAYS be the goal. Yeah, maybe after like seventy supersets the numbers will have taken a hit, but there’s method to madness.

I’ve began looking heavily into hiring him to really get his programming head-on for realsies. Zraw’s transformation is no joke.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I realize it’s the “hawt fad” right now or whatever, but I just absolutely love it. My joints, tendons, and overall “injuriness” (I’m very prone to it) have all thanked me and the training style has honestly been a godsend.

As I alluded to in another thread, however, using more weight is still/should ALWAYS be the goal. Yeah, maybe after like seventy supersets the numbers will have taken a hit, but there’s method to madness.

I’ve began looking heavily into hiring him to really get his programming head-on for realsies. Zraw’s transformation is no joke.[/quote]

Do you think combining 5/3/1 use of progression of the main lifts and then using his style of training for accessory would be a good idea? Thanks sorry if this is a bit off topic

I did a 12-week online program with him. He taught this old dog a lot of new tricks, and I continue to employ his principles. Good guy, upbeat, promptly and appropriately responsive to questions. If you don’t want to do an online program, a lot of his training philosophy/info can be gleaned from the TN articles he’s written, and from his website.

[quote]fdwider wrote:
Hi guys

Been reading some of John Meadows MoutainDog articles on arms, shoulder, legs ,etc
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried any of his routine and also their experience with it an if they saw any results?

Thanks in advanced.[/quote]

Maybe a better questions is why his training methods shouldn’t work for BBing, if you put the effort in. His stuff is based on tried and proven BBing principles. Nothing really new or magically, but that is a good thing.

Imo the most valuable part of his training articles (and programs) is that he emphasizes and tells you all those exercises (tweaks) to hit the desired muscles group. Most people have to do a lot of trial&error over the years to get that right and some might never get that for some muscle groups.

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

I’ve began looking heavily into hiring him to really get his programming head-on for realsies. Zraw’s transformation is no joke.[/quote]

Do you think combining 5/3/1 use of progression of the main lifts and then using his style of training for accessory would be a good idea? Thanks sorry if this is a bit off topic[/quote]

I incorporated some of his ideas into my training when I did 5/3/1. I pre-exhausted my hammies before squats and I also did really high reps on my accessory shoulder work. Seemed to give me solid results.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

Do you think combining 5/3/1 use of progression of the main lifts and then using his style of training for accessory would be a good idea? Thanks sorry if this is a bit off topic[/quote]

I incorporated some of his ideas into my training when I did 5/3/1. I pre-exhausted my hammies before squats and I also did really high reps on my accessory shoulder work. Seemed to give me solid results.[/quote]

I’ve started doing just this, doing 5/3/1 for minimum reps on main lift then doing meadows 12 week program from the elitefts makeawish e-book for assistance, we’ll see how it goes. Coming off sheiko 29-37-32

I’ve only had the chance to perform training from his articles and it is awesome!

[quote]pctitan wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]fdwider wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

I incorporated some of his ideas into my training when I did 5/3/1. I pre-exhausted my hammies before squats and I also did really high reps on my accessory shoulder work. Seemed to give me solid results.[/quote]

I’ve started doing just this, doing 5/3/1 for minimum reps on main lift then doing meadows 12 week program from the elitefts makeawish e-book for assistance, we’ll see how it goes. Coming off sheiko 29-37-32
[/quote]

Were can I find meadows 12 week program

[quote]pctitan wrote:
[/quote]

+1 for this. I did 5/3/1/ rest pause style for the 4 main lifts. All accessory work was heavily borrowed from the Meadows series of articles on T-Nation. I combined this with CBL dieting principles & made the best gains in years & years. I would love to hire him but i train from home 95% of the time so i dont think i would get the best value for money.

[quote]fdwider wrote:
Were can I find meadows 12 week program[/quote]

Like pctitan said it was in the elitefts MAW 2012 e-book, which is unfortunately not available to buy anymore. Dont think anyone is sharing it either.

Mountain dog diet.com is an amazing site

I admire JM and feel his training & diet knowledge is top notch

IMO- 5/3/1/ would be difficult to combine bc main compound motion typicall are done last, after coutless sets of brutal isolation work (drops sets, mechinal drop sets, partial, etc) and usually the big 3 can be efficitve at building muscle at a much lighter weight. IMO- the focus of 5/3/1 is based on building the most strength.

jus my opinion tho

[quote]pr-train wrote:

IMO- 5/3/1/ would be difficult to combine bc main compound motion typicall are done last, after coutless sets of brutal isolation work (drops sets, mechinal drop sets, partial, etc) and usually the big 3 can be efficitve at building muscle at a much lighter weight. IMO- the focus of 5/3/1 is based on building the most strength.

jus my opinion tho[/quote]

I’d personally pretty much agree with this. The issue isn’t necessarily that it wouldn’t be viable to make nice gains to your physique as well as strength if combined, but as pr-train alluded to, highly variable types of pre-fatiguing, supersets, or other intensity factors are a fairly common thing seen with JM’s style. 5/3/1 is essentially the exact opposite, with emphasis on consistency and continuity.

Now, there’s plenty of people who just train more like a bodybuilder in the tradition sense as accessory work in 5/3/1 who have success.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[/quote]

This is a great post and makes a great point.

When introducing a friend to JM stuff, the first vid I showed him was the 500x8 squat. Just to emphasize that strength matters, and that the guy is bull-strong. My main fear of the JM stuff for people just starting out is that they would use it as an excuse to not make progress in the weight room. MD training isn’t supposed to just be “pump work,” but I can see how someone might get that impression.

I’m not sure how on-topic this is, but it’s also worth noting that there are folks on this site who do the whole “omgz, I gain only fat” bit, but those folks almost never also say that they gained a respectable amount of strength. I just don’t know any 200+lb guys who can bench 1.5xBW and squat 2xBW and yet still look sloppy.

[quote]pemo928 wrote:
I converted from Dorian Yates HIT style of training to his Mountain Dog style about 9 months ago.

I love the results…I train more oftern, 6 days a week and my joints have never felt better. The pumps are INSANE !! [/quote]

Just out f curiosity with out getting too detailed what is his style of training? Other than what I’ve seen here on T Nation( I have actually experimented with similar routines over the yrs just out of coincidence), though I haven’t read much about it. I’d love to heal some achey joints since I’ve followed Dorian Yates style low rep heavy low volume training most of my years. The light pumping stuff works great when I switch to it but only for a short time before I start shrinking and resort back to low reps.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]pr-train wrote:

jus my opinion tho[/quote]

True, but my main long term goal is strength and im doing the 5/3/1 movements first simply to maintain my numbers, It might not be idead. Im just setting aside this time to improve my physique because I actually do care how I look no matter how much I like to think I dont!

I’d personally pretty much agree with this. The issue isn’t necessarily that it wouldn’t be viable to make nice gains to your physique as well as strength if combined, but as pr-train alluded to, highly variable types of pre-fatiguing, supersets, or other intensity factors are a fairly common thing seen with JM’s style. 5/3/1 is essentially the exact opposite, with emphasis on consistency and continuity.

Now, there’s plenty of people who just train more like a bodybuilder in the tradition sense as accessory work in 5/3/1 who have success.

.02[/quote]

thing I really like about JM’s training is how he sequences exercises to make your workouts as joint friendly as possible. My shoulders feel better than they have in years.

It does suck a bit at first when you’re benching third in a workout and your numbers have all gone to hell though…