T Nation

John M Berardi

John, thanks for the fascinating info. BTW, I haven’t read anything like the rationale for your insulin regulatory diet before, and I think it would be a very cool (and probably very controversial for the reasons you state below) article. I too am a milk drinker and have had great results with it. Also, thanks for the link (from the olive oil post) to the usgov site for food content info. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning! I can’t justify the budget expense to get ESHA, and this is probably as much as I’ll ever need to know. Greg D.

John you siad, “I guess reading one article in muscle and fitness qualifies you as an expert in nutritional biochemistry.”

Well, come on! The Weider research team works dilligently on this stuff! How much more info does a person need?

I guess you’re right. I didnt mean to undervalue M&F’s contributions to hardcore bodybuilding and athletics. After all they have been on the cutting edge of water drinking, circuit training, and high carb dieting for decades. In fact there is this new article on how lean protein might be good for muscle growth in the latest issue. Keep up the good work Uncle Joe!

And don’t forget, John, according to Muscle & Fiction, you need to do at least 20 sets for each head of the triceps. Oh yeah, and drink water and wear sunblock.

“M&F: Keeping 15 year kids in an overtrained, delusioned state for over 30 years!” :slight_smile:

Hey guys, here is something else to “chew on”…in this study glycemic index and insulin scores were pretty different in certain meals where protein was present and where simple sugar and fat was combined (these last 2 categories caused bigger insulin release than predicted by their GI and carb content). Its not stated here but in some foods there was no correlation between GI and II (like the milk that we discussed before).

At the T-mag seminar in orlando I will be sharing all sorts of data on GI, II, Satiety Index, and other things that have helped me put together my DONT DIET! insulin management program (and yes, I will “unveil this plan there”).

An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods.
Holt SH, Miller JC, Petocz P
Department of Biochemistry, University of Sydney, Australia.
The aim of this study was to systematically compare postprandial insulin responses to isoenergetic 1000-kJ (240-kcal) portions of several common foods. Correlations with nutrient content were determined. Thirty-eight foods separated into six food categories (fruit, bakery products, snacks, carbohydrate-rich foods, protein-rich foods, and breakfast cereals) were fed to groups of 11-13 healthy subjects. Finger-prick blood samples were obtained every 15 min over 120 min. An insulin score was calculated from the area under the insulin response curve for each food with use of white bread as the reference food (score = 100%). Significant differences in insulin score were found both within and among the food categories and also among foods containing a similar amount of carbohydrate. Overall, glucose and insulin scores were highly correlated (r = 0.70, P < 0.001, n = 38). However, protein-rich foods and bakery products (rich in fat and refined carbohydrate) elicited insulin responses that were disproportionately higher than their glycemic responses. Total carbohydrate (r = 0.39, P < 0.05, n = 36) and sugar (r = 0.36, P < 0.05, n = 36) contents were positively related to the mean insulin scores, whereas fat (r = -0.27, NS, n = 36) and protein (r = -0.24, NS, n = 38) contents were negatively related. Consideration of insulin scores may be relevant to the dietary management and pathogenesis of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and hyperlipidemia and may help increase the accuracy of estimating preprandial insulin requirements.

I just can’t believe that there’s so many more posts in response to milk than penis enlargement…come on guys, get your priorities straight!!! :wink:

John, this is great stuff. Unfortunately, I
can’t make it to the seminar due to too many
other obligations. I’m wondering when you
might write some articles on this, or if you
might be putting out a book on it - both of
which I would be very interested in. Book or
articles is/are the only way I’m gonna have
time to get to this info. Regards. --Free

Hey John, that is some really exciting research. The insulin research, not the penile enlargement! It seems like my personal experiences do seem to correlate with those findings. When I was following the Zone diet, I found that I steadily gained weight (fat) when I ignored the GI of the carb source, even when I strictly kept the 40-30-30 calorie balance. When I started following the guidelines of Michel Montignac, being carful to choose carbs with GI of 40 or less (on the Glucose scale), I got leaner, regardless of the calories I got from fat or protein. I really do hope that you could elucidate the non-attendees of the seminar at a later date with an article or two.

Mr.Berardi, can the penis enlargement herb you are working on be unencapsulated and sprinkled into tomato pasta sauce? I’m Italian, and I eat alot of homemade pasta sauce, use a lot of herbs, and it would seem very practical to be able to eat it with food instead of swallowing more pills! My attempt to enlarge my penis with HMB supplementation has not been fruitful! :stuck_out_tongue: